Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
So I may be flying in for a long wkend (getting in Thursday) in a couple weeks, just regular Emerald Club member, what're the chances I may be able to score a convertible of some sort?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
So I may be flying in for a long wkend (getting in Thursday) in a couple weeks, just regular Emerald Club member, what're the chances I may be able to score a convertible of some sort?
Pretty damn good they always want people to upgrade.... Now the question is how much are you willing to pay for the upgrade?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Pretty damn good they always want people to upgrade.... Now the question is how much are you willing to pay for the upgrade?
I'm pretty sure he was asking his odds of finding a convertible on the Emerald Aisle... to which I would say fairly slim, especially with the PT Cruiser convertibles being long gone.

Even finding one in Executive Selection would be rare at LAX since there is demand for convertibles and people are willing to pay for the upgrade or book the class in the first place.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm pretty sure he was asking his odds of finding a convertible on the Emerald Aisle... to which I would say fairly slim, especially with the PT Cruiser convertibles being long gone.

Even finding one in Executive Selection would be rare at LAX since there is demand for convertibles and people are willing to pay for the upgrade or book the class in the first place.
Correct. Didn't think chances would be good, but thanks for confirming. Would it be any better odds at some of the neighboring airports such as Burbank or Long Beach?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

I knew excatly what they were asking.... Being that they are going to be in SoCal during prime convertable weather, the chances are ZERO that a convertable will be EA.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Correct. Didn't think chances would be good, but thanks for confirming. Would it be any better odds at some of the neighboring airports such as Burbank or Long Beach?
No, you are coming during prime convertable weather, as I posted, if you want a convertable be ready to purchase an upgrade.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:39 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what Alamo/National have in their 2014 luxury fleet. Have booked a luxury car via Alamo UK on the gold package. Drive a BMW at home so was hoping for something similar or if not something with integrated NAV.

Got a fully loaded Jeep Cherokee when I last rented with Alamo at MCO.

Thanks in advance,
Old May 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scotx3
Hi,

Does anyone know what Alamo/National have in their 2014 luxury fleet. Have booked a luxury car via Alamo UK on the gold package. Drive a BMW at home so was hoping for something similar or if not something with integrated NAV.

Got a fully loaded Jeep Cherokee when I last rented with Alamo at MCO.

Thanks in advance,
When you rent on line you can not rent the high end luxury cars you will have to do when you get the rental lot. Under the usual "luxury" car catagory you can find a new 2014 Chevy Impala, Buick LaCrosse etc..
Old May 1, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
When you rent on line you can not rent the high end luxury cars you will have to do when you get the rental lot. Under the usual "luxury" car catagory you can find a new 2014 Chevy Impala, Buick LaCrosse etc..
The Impala and Lacrosse are PCAR. LCAR would be Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac ATS/CTS/XTS, and likely Infinity Q50 (even though it is officially a GXAR, I often see it in ER-LCAR). A base BMW 525 is possible to come across in LCAR, but not nearly as likely as the above.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:48 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Being that they are going to be in SoCal during prime convertable weather, the chances are ZERO that a convertable will be EA.
It pays to be Exec. Two days ago I arrived at LAX on a flight from cold and rainy ORD to a beautiful 80F evening in L.A. The ES was desolate, just a handful of cars and disappearing fast. Having a Premium reservation, I walked the aisles and the whole lot to see what was out there (not much, the Premium & Luxury sections were both empty).

But it's times like these that I love @ LAX, because I know that when they get slammed and start running out of cars on the ES, they turn to a "bring everything you've got" strategy from downstairs. Sure enough, my patience paid off and a pair of lovely new (less than 3K mi.) black Mustang Convertibles appeared, dripping wet from the wash and headed straight for the ES.

So while the chances are pretty low they would stock the EA with convertibles... At least on the ES they aren't ZERO.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:59 pm

ES was pretty empty Monday at noon. There were a handful of minivans and some bland sedans (Altimas, et al). I grabbed the most exciting car there: A Passat.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
It pays to be Exec. Two days ago I arrived at LAX on a flight from cold and rainy ORD to a beautiful 80F evening in L.A. The ES was desolate, just a handful of cars and disappearing fast. Having a Premium reservation, I walked the aisles and the whole lot to see what was out there (not much, the Premium & Luxury sections were both empty).

But it's times like these that I love @ LAX, because I know that when they get slammed and start running out of cars on the ES, they turn to a "bring everything you've got" strategy from downstairs. Sure enough, my patience paid off and a pair of lovely new (less than 3K mi.) black Mustang Convertibles appeared, dripping wet from the wash and headed straight for the ES.

So while the chances are pretty low they would stock the EA with convertibles... At least on the ES they aren't ZERO.
I once got off the bus and had someone call me I kind of wandered around watching the crazy fight over cars while I talked on the phone. By the time I finished the 2 bus rush was over and the cool stuff was being thrown on the Executive Aisle to fill it back up .. Got an Infinity that I really enjoyed.

My rule is I refuse to drive a minivan and won't take most SUVs (the no cargo cover is a deal breaker for me. I have too many coworkers who have been robbed...)
Old May 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Sunday before Memorial day in the afternoon, the ES was jam packed with almost any type of car you could want. There were sedans, SUVs, minivans. No more than 2 of any given model. We took a '14 Santa Fe. Nothing luxurious, but the worst thing there was a Journey and a couple of Altimas.

However, after returning, they charged me what looks like full rate for the vehicle, not my reserved weekend rate ($60 charged, instead of my $15 reservation). We'll see how customer service resolves this. Still waiting on a response.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:07 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by itraveleverywhere
Sunday before Memorial day in the afternoon, the ES was jam packed with almost any type of car you could want. There were sedans, SUVs, minivans. No more than 2 of any given model. We took a '14 Santa Fe. Nothing luxurious, but the worst thing there was a Journey and a couple of Altimas.

However, after returning, they charged me what looks like full rate for the vehicle, not my reserved weekend rate ($60 charged, instead of my $15 reservation). We'll see how customer service resolves this. Still waiting on a response.
$15 for a whole weekend? Please, share your secrets.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would venture to guess if you got a rate for around $15 a day or something on a special, that the rest was made of taxes/fees for this location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.