Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Cars at LAX

I'm heading out there June 20th and was wondering what the selection is like. Hoping for something sporty is possible like a Cadillac CTS! Anybody been recently?
Old May 29, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780115
Old May 30, 2008, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

I took a look at that thread as well but its a bit old. I was just wondering if anyone had been recently and seen what they have on tap.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there 2 weeks ago and picked up an '08 Toyota Avalon Touring Edition with leather. Great car! ^

Most of the other options were Chevy Impalas, various pickup trucks, minivans and some smaller SUVs. I did not see any Cadillacs.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:12 pm

A week ago, picked up an Avalon with GPS. Saw few highlanders, one Convertible Mustang, a yellow one with two black strips in the middle
A lot of various GM full size cars, such as Impala, Buick Le? etc.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL GE
SRX for my last drive, but the exit agent had to "verify" the SRX was on the isle by calling the office.

Felt very upset that she felt it necessary to do that. Like did I look like I was trying to pull a fast one?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
I've been to the LAX National several times in the past month and found the selection quite good. I always look for a "sporty" car as well and here's what I found the last time I was there (in the order starting with the best):

Pontiac G8 GT - sportiest car I've rented with National
Impala SS - 300hp V8, leather, XM, etc
Buick LaCrosse Super - same as Impala (haven't rented one of these but will soon)
Buick Lucerne CXS - Very comfy, nice ride, not as quick as the others but a little sporty

FYI - I do not consider a CTS a sporty car. I was so disappointed the last time I got one that I returned and got something else.

Good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL GE
Ok, so how long does everyone spend looking for their car? I mean I get off the escalator and I am like mad dash for the first thing reasonable I see. I am sure I am passing up something good by going with what I "know", but I feel silly walking around in circles looking over every single car. Not only that but I feel like someone is following me waiting to snatch the car I want.

It's really a traumatic experience for me, I have to pull over as soon as I exit and take 5... LOL
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Ok, so how long does everyone spend looking for their car? I mean I get off the escalator and I am like mad dash for the first thing reasonable I see. I am sure I am passing up something good by going with what I "know", but I feel silly walking around in circles looking over every single car. Not only that but I feel like someone is following me waiting to snatch the car I want.

It's really a traumatic experience for me, I have to pull over as soon as I exit and take 5... LOL
I like a car thats fun to drive, has XM, leather, and is decently clean/stench free. If that means I walk around for 15 minutes (or more) until I find the right car then so be it. I've found some sweet cars by walking around a little bit - including the white G8 GT I currently have. I usually have a rental car for a month or two at a time and put on about 1000 miles a week so having a good comfortable car is essential.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:49 am

I'll typically take as long as I need to find a car I'm happy with. I usually try to scope out the aisle from the bus, if there is one, otherwise I'll go up and down each aisle. If there's a long wait at the exit (usually happens in Seattle), I'll watch for what's being pulled around and check out the options in the remaining cars. I'm rarely rushed on my itinerary and usually have to pound some miles, so it's worth it to find a car that has the space I need, and is a reasonably nice or "cool" car.

Having said that, at LAX I haven't lucked out on selection, so at that location I do hurry off the bus and usually grab the first decent option.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom

Not too long -- I look for the smallest car I can find with XM usually.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
LAX EE in the last few months (sometimes dipping down into EA).

PT Cruiser
Dodge Charger
Tricked out Pontiac Grand Prix
Sebring Convertible (pretty cool score!)
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:58 am
Original Poster

So an update:

Friday 6/20/08 @ 10:30 pm

Stand-Outs
8 Avalons
4 SRX's
1 G6 covertible
4 DTS
3 LaCrosse
and various other Impalas and other generics

I ended up taking the Avalon and am quite happy with it.

Will update what I see when I go back this afternoon.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:53 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I am sure I am passing up something good by going with what I "know", but I feel silly walking around in circles looking over every single car.
Why would you feel "silly" about looking at what's available and making a thoughtful choice? I enjoy driving, and I need an enjoyable car to drive. I definitely look over the entire selection and sometimes get picky. I'll check mileage and interior/exterior cleanliness also is a factor. I enjoy different types of cars depending on the location/season, what type of trip (family/friends/solo) and even my mood (luxury/sporty/SUV/convertible). I also like to try out newer models for different experiences.

Sometimes if I see something that grabs my attention right away, and I think that it might get taken if I don't act fast... I'll take the keys and throw my luggage in the back. Then I'll walk the lot and see if I like anything better. You're not committed until you drive out of the gate!

The choice is what National is all about! Take advantage of it.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:52 am

When I walk around, I look at every car, looking for a nice model and checking the mileage. I don't feel silly, but I get a little anxious, like playing musical chairs, because by taking so long to decide, something might get snatched up. Another thing I do is if it's a model I haven't driven before, I'll take it for a couple laps in the parking lot, and return if if I don't like something about it.

I come into LAX monthly, usually on a Friday, and this year have had out of the ES/EA:
2 Toyota Avalons
1 Highlander
1 FJ Cruiser
1 RAV4
1 Prius

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.