Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I picked up a car at LAX yesterday, and both the Emerald Aisle and the Executive Aisle were both packed full of SUVs. I preferred a car and wanted one XM. I couldn't find a car in either section with XM, so I tried checking the Mid-Size and Full aisles. No luck there, either, so I settled for a Mustang. The remote was defective (it set off the alarm no matter what button you hit) and I didn't discover it until I was an hour away.
Old May 31, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Over the weekend: Executive Aisle had no SUVs. Dodge Chargers, Nissan Maximas, Ford Taurus (?), some Mazdas, and one Toyota Avalon XL (which I took). The Emerald Aisle had Nissan Altimas, Chevy Impalas, and other very uninteresting cars.

There was an Infiniti G20 parked next to the Executive Aisle, so I asked the attendant if I could take. He said I could take it for an extra $45/day. No thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:15 pm

I will be choosing from the EA on a wednesday morning around 11 am.

Is this generally an ideal time (in peoples opinions) for a good selection?

Most of the posts are stories of people choosing their cars in the evenings or night time.

Just curious.

Also, would I make out better with a Full Size Emerald Reserve reservation, or a mid-size Emerald Aisle reservation?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:28 pm

jessebritches - Thats a tough one - in general, I would hope that weekend rentals returned Sunday / Monday would be turned back around and available to you on a weekday morning but am just not sure - lemme know how that goes for you.

I'm going to pick up a Luxury at LAX on Sunday night - will post the selection of all 3 sections at that time...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ChasingSunset
jessebritches - Thats a tough one - in general, I would hope that weekend rentals returned Sunday / Monday would be turned back around and available to you on a weekday morning but am just not sure - lemme know how that goes for you.

I'm going to pick up a Luxury at LAX on Sunday night - will post the selection of all 3 sections at that time...
looking forward to your update if you had time to glance at the emerald aisle. Thanks!

I will post the same in a couple of weeks when I am at LAX
Old Jun 8, 2009, 8:55 am

I just returned from a rental @ Alamo.

I booked the $10/weekend day promo through Alamo.

last weekend got Mercedes C300 @ LAS for $55 incl taxes, so I asked the attendant if they could match that. He said he would talk to his manager, and his manager offered $55/day rate but with tax extra. We took it, came out to $215 for 3 days w. tax(whopping $50 in taxes!).

You might be able to bargain for a similar rate for those that want Mercedes C300.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:20 am

I got to LAX around 5:30 on Sunday and both Emerald and Executive had about what you'd expect - mostly base-models w/ some Fusions, Kias, Chargers, Malibus, and a couple small SUVs.

The LUX aisle had a CTS, DTS, and several Towncars on one side and an Escalade, two C300s, 2 Maximas, and 3 Ford Flex on the other. As I was renting for a vacation road trip, I tried to take the Escalade and was told that it was in a 'separate' car class called 'Best in Class' that I was not entitled to access w/ my Free Rental days.

I called the Executive helpdesk twice and both times was told that there was no such car class at National and that I should ask to speak w/ an on-site manager. When I did, I was told that Best in Class is reserved for 'Specialty Vehicles' and ended up taking the 'Luxury' CTS.

I guess it was a misunderstanding on my part but 1.) I've rented Escalades from LUX aisles elsewhere, 2.) Ford Flex & Maximas are nowhere near as nice as a CTS / DTS.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:17 am

I got to LAX around 5:30 on Sunday and both Emerald and Executive had about what you'd expect - mostly base-models w/ some Fusions, Kias, Chargers, Malibus, and a couple small SUVs.

The LUX aisle had a CTS, DTS, and several Towncars on one side and an Escalade, two C300s, 2 Maximas, and 3 Ford Flex on the other. As I was renting for a vacation road trip, I tried to take the Escalade and was told that it was in a 'separate' car class called 'Best in Class' that I was not entitled to access w/ my Free Rental days.

I called the Executive helpdesk twice and both times was told that there was no such car class at National and that I should ask to speak w/ an on-site manager. When I did, I was told that Best in Class is reserved for 'Specialty Vehicles' and ended up taking the 'Luxury' CTS.

I guess it was a misunderstanding on my part but 1.) I've rented Escalades from LUX aisles elsewhere, 2.) Ford Flex & Maximas are nowhere near as nice as a CTS / DTS.
thank you!
I have a lux reservation....I guess I have a hard decision to make (possibly) if I have to choose between maxima, DTS, and Mercedes c300. Anyone care to rank these in order that they would choose?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:50 pm

The LUX aisle had a CTS, DTS, and several Towncars on one side and an Escalade, two C300s, 2 Maximas, and 3 Ford Flex on the other. As I was .
wait a minute? what do you mean by one side and the other? are there 2 lux sections? or an alamo side and national side?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:12 pm

Sorry - should have clarified -that was my whole problem / source of my confusion (anger).

When you walk upstairs at LAX to the National lot, there are signs for Luxury, Premium, Fullsize, SUV, etc. (all the standard classes). On the same post as the Luxury sign is one that says 'Best In Class'. The rows of cars are back-to-back and i thought it was stating that their Luxury cars were the Best in Class. Thats the problem - its a separate class, not a description of the Luxury class.

They consider them as separate but that really bothers me because National's website has no designation of Best In Class at LAX (meaning, i can't reserve that class). The more I think about it, the more I think they were jerking me around.

To clarify, unless you get treated differently, your LUX reservation will entitle you only to the 'Luxury' row (CTS, DTS, Towncars, Grand Marquis when i was there) and not the C300s, etc.

I'm very interested to see how you do and, depending on how it goes for you am prepared to inquire w/ the Executive Desk again to get a straight answer.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:16 pm

Even more annoying...

From National's site & description of the Car Classes:

/*
A vehicle category is the classification system of the vehicles in the fleet based on size and number of doors.

All vehicles are priced, booked and controlled by vehicle category, not by vehicle make or model.

Below is an example of vehicle category for the United States and Canada.
•Economy Car - Chevrolet Aveo or similar
•Compact Car - Chevrolet Cobalt or similar
•Midsize (Intermediate) - Pontiac G6 or similar
•Convertible - Chrysler PT Cruiser or similar
•Standard Car (Fullsize) - Chevrolet Impala or similar
•Premium Car - Buick Lucerne or similar
•Luxury Car - Cadillac DTS or similar
•4-Wheel Drive Vehicle - Chevrolet Trailblazer or similar
•Minivan - Chevrolet Uplander or similar.

These car types are available at most airport-serving locations.
In-City locations may have a more limited selection.
*/
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:05 pm

I had a luxury and an emerald aisle reservation at LAX for 6/17 (wednesday 11:30am).
I felt bad about holding two reservations so I canceled my Luxury and just kept my emerald aisle.

When I arrived the regular emerald area had 1 kia rondo (I believe), 1 mustang, and 1 nissan altima. Someone quickly grabbed the mustang. I didnt really want the altima (I like altima's, but I own one so I kind of wanted something new).

I saw a cadillac CTS in the luxury aisle and asked how much more for it. The national employee said it would be another $50 a day. I got on my cell phone and canceled my emerald reservation and booked the luxury for about $20 more a day.

By the time I did this the CTS had been taken. Now there was NOTHING in the luxury aisle. The kia rondo and 1 pontiac G6 in the emerald aisle. 2 avalons in the premium aisle....and nothing but towncars in the emerald exec aisle.

There was an aisle marked "best in class" that had a black caddy escallade, several mercedes c300's and a nissan 350z....also several volvo hard top convertibles.

I asked about that row. The employee said I could have any of the vehicles with my luxury reservation except for the volvo convertibles. Someone grabbed the 350z. I didnt want the caddy SUV in LA. So I took one of the mercedes. I loved the car accept for the fact it was filthy.

It was my first rental with National. I was very disappointed in the emerald aisle.

Last edited by jessebritches; Jun 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jessebritches
I got on my cell phone and canceled my emerald reservation and booked the luxury for about $20 more a day. ... By the time I did this the CTS had been taken.
Glad it turned out good for you in the end. Always best to get in the car and change your reservation from in there.

Executive Aisles everywhere I've been lately have seemed more "average" than they used to be.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:28 pm

Thanks for the update, JB - glad you got a Merc but still disappointed in how my experience went. Am going back on Fri at noon and will see how it is then...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:03 am

I recently had a luxury reservation at LAX. In making my reservation, i was hoping to find something sporty and somewhat luxurious. The luxury aisle only had large cadillac sedans left when I arrived and thus I chose to pay an extra $20 per day to get a special car. My choices were a C300 or an Infiniti G37 and I chose the Infiniti. Overall, I was very happy with the Infiniti and the daily rate I paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.