Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by Wadda
I picked up a white v6 base mustang last night. There was a black ecoboost too buried away. They they were the only two mustangs. Did not see a mx5 Miata. But there were about 7 Camaros but I did not take any notice of them as I wanted a mustang.
Were any of them convertibles?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Thanks for the update.

As for PCARs, is it basically the Chrysler 300? Are there any others?

I've also not been able to find LCAR reservation availability and tried different dummy dates and it still won't come up. Oh well.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by flying chef
Were any of them convertibles?
I was talking about convertibles. Just saw one mustang coupe in white. Did not notice the spec was too tired from long flight and looking for a mustang convertible.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Thanks for the update.

As for PCARs, is it basically the Chrysler 300? Are there any others?

I've also not been able to find LCAR reservation availability and tried different dummy dates and it still won't come up. Oh well.
LCAR vanished from the booking engine for this location for a number of weeks but it appears to be back now, though with quite an uplift in rate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:25 pm

How likely are you to get away with taking an ES car with just an EA reservation, either with a tip or just taking one to the gate and hoping?

For our honeymoon in May we're doing a fairly standard 18 day loop around California (via Vegas & the Grand Canyon), & as I rarely rent cars I can only get the standard Emerald Club membership, but reading this thread it seems all the decent cars are on the ES aisle!

I sounds like we're likely to get a Mustang or Camaro convertible, or a PCAR like a 300 from the ES, which would be great as we'd like to have something decent and proper American (cheesy I know!), but that seems highly unlikely on the EA.

I would book a convertible or PCAR class, but we're on a bit of a budget as the cost of the flights over alone are expensive (plus we've just had to pay for a wedding!), and the difference in price is massive - $500 v $850
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:33 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
No - you cannot just take from the Executive Selection and expect that nobody will notice or care. That defeats the whole point of the different sections, and the gate agents know what cars are being put where. At best, you're likely to get charged a rate difference and/or do the backup of shame.

If there's something special you want, you can always ask the greeter if you can take it. In my experience the staff at this location are among the best. Otherwise, to guarantee yourself something "special" you'll have to pay for it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:19 am
zvd

Hi!

I have just EA in National. Fullsize SUV by EA and without is same? Or this is a different parking lot? We're wanna to get Fullsize SUV in november for 20 days. Alamo have less price without any programm.

What best cars in this class in LAX: National or Alamo? Best car for us is Dodge Durango(prefer) or Chevrolet Tahoe.

Last edited by zvd; Apr 22, 2015 at 5:37 am
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:13 am

Always book the class of car you need. There is almost no chance a Full size SUV will be in the EA unless the lot is overwhelmed with them and their looking to get rid of a few or they run out of cars.

So if Alamo is significantly cheaper, it might be best to utilize them
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:47 am
zvd

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Always book the class of car you need. There is almost no chance a Full size SUV will be in the EA unless the lot is overwhelmed with them and their looking to get rid of a few or they run out of cars.

So if Alamo is significantly cheaper, it might be best to utilize them
Yes, sure, I book Full size SUV! But I need some information about cars in EA basic level lot and parking lot for non-members. This is a defferent place? Cars in one class is same?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Emerald Aisle promises midsize cars, examples of which would be Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, or Nissan Sentra. Sometimes the EA will have better, like standard or full size cars.

A full size SUV on Emerald Aisle might be pretty rare.

Search this thread for other car classifications. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...fications.html
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
No - you cannot just take from the Executive Selection and expect that nobody will notice or care. That defeats the whole point of the different sections, and the gate agents know what cars are being put where. At best, you're likely to get charged a rate difference and/or do the backup of shame.

If there's something special you want, you can always ask the greeter if you can take it. In my experience the staff at this location are among the best. Otherwise, to guarantee yourself something "special" you'll have to pay for it.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, in reality I wouldn't really have the front to just take what I wanted and drive to to the gate (certainly don't want to do the back up of shame!).

I guess what I was really asking (quite badly), was how likely is it that we might be allowed to take something from the ES if we ask nicely/say it's our honeymoon (I know they probably get that a lot) if there is nothing good on the EA? We don't want anything particularly special, just something like I mentioned (or maybe an SUV), but I really don't want to get stuck with something bland and boring like a Camry or Sonata.
We're arriving at about 3pm on a Wednesday if that makes any difference to how well stocked the EA is?

As I said, I would pay for a higher class, but we're on a budget & that extra $350 or so will really make a difference to the rest of our trip. The speed of just going to the garage and taking a car really appeals over having to wait in line too as we're making a long drive to Lake Havasu straight away (plus I'd be gutted if I saw some decent cars on the EA when we got to the garage!)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:32 am
zvd

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Emerald Aisle promises midsize cars, examples of which would be Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, or Nissan Sentra. Sometimes the EA will have better, like standard or full size cars.

A full size SUV on Emerald Aisle might be pretty rare.

Search this thread for other car classifications. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...fications.html
Thanks! Alamo or National have better car Full size SUV in LAX? May be anybody rent and remember what kind of car have this company...
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by TommyGun
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, in reality I wouldn't really have the front to just take what I wanted and drive to to the gate (certainly don't want to do the back up of shame!).

I guess what I was really asking (quite badly), was how likely is it that we might be allowed to take something from the ES if we ask nicely/say it's our honeymoon (I know they probably get that a lot) if there is nothing good on the EA? We don't want anything particularly special, just something like I mentioned (or maybe an SUV), but I really don't want to get stuck with something bland and boring like a Camry or Sonata.
We're arriving at about 3pm on a Wednesday if that makes any difference to how well stocked the EA is?

As I said, I would pay for a higher class, but we're on a budget & that extra $350 or so will really make a difference to the rest of our trip. The speed of just going to the garage and taking a car really appeals over having to wait in line too as we're making a long drive to Lake Havasu straight away (plus I'd be gutted if I saw some decent cars on the EA when we got to the garage!)
I think it would be tough. The tags in the vehicles in the ES aisle are marks as such. Also, I had a friend that needed a full size pick-up (he was EA and the truck was in ES aisle) and asked if he could take it. They wanted to upcharge him $75/day. So it didn't work for him. Lot was FULL too.

Think about using another company, I just did a quick search on Sixt (not as convenient) and you can get a PCAR (Audi A3, Mercedes-Benz CLA, Volvo S60, BMW 228i or similar) for $52/day (may 17-29). Seems like a decent deal.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:22 am

Ah cool thanks for that.

Just did some sums here and it looks like a PCAR or convertible would actually be about $48 a day with National, but the midsize or standard is more like $29!
(Standard is actually slightly cheaper - am I right in thinking you must order midsize for the EA, or could I order a standard & still have the choice of EA and the standard aisle?)

Speaking of convertibles, are there only Camaros & Mustangs at LAX? If I can find the money for one, it would be one of those I'd like for the full on 'American' experience - don't fancy something boring like a 200!

Thanks to everyone helping me by the way, I promise I'll help anyone with info about my experience & what cars were there when I get back!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:13 am

You are in the UK - book the rental through the UK Alamo site.. You'll get an excellent price, it'll include ALL required insurance with zero deductible and I'd wager you'd probably find that the PCAR you want is affordable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.