Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Status Match Master Thread: 2009 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by GrizShel
...My question when exactly would likely be the best time to ask for a Status Match?
I understand most other airlines have seen the Carnage over at Delta - NW and are being generous in their status match offers right now. But if I request this now, I'm going to have an extremely difficult time maintaining my status for next year; I just don't have the time to do many paid flights until next year.
In respect to your statement about the carnage at DL/NW, I think all airlines are doing a good bit of matching status for each other members. Certainly some DL elites are leaving, but a lot of US elites have left as well, for example. Call it the great elite shuffle of 2009.

In regards to your statement in blue text, in depends on who you are matching with to some degree. If the airline just gives you the status with no strings attached, you have to fly enough throughout the rest of 2009 to keep that status. If you match with an airline that does challenges, like AA, you would be wise to only start the challenge when you can meet the goals, since the window is shorter.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: Skywards, KrisFlyer, Flying Blue, BAEC but only till I’ve used all my Avios, Thai Orchid
Originally Posted by kiam
Does anyone know if LH may do status match to FB Platinum this year?
I have contacted LH M&M twice to ask the same question.

Email got no response.

Telephoned today and got "Mais non Monsieur! Vous êtes Skyteam et nous sommes *A! C'est absoluement impossible!

I did try and point out that I had read here that it may be possible but the CSA was rather abrupt.

There again, it was a French CSA, albeit working for LH
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Match with CO as they'll be joining * soon
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
LANPASS !

LAN responded today (4 weeks after my initial message) with the following:

Dear Mr. skywalkerLAX,

We inform you that we have received your request of category match.

Regarding this, we inform you that we have cheked the attached statement, but there is no flights in LAN routes, therefore we need to know the reason why you want this macth to be done.

Thanks for choosing LAN,

LANPASS Service
So I answered that our operations in South America are new and therefore I had no reason to fly these routes in 2008.

Oh well, lets wait for the answer. I expect it at the end of February.

Cheers,
S
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Hello all,

I haven't been here in a while and was just parousing throught thinking of getting away from United.

What is the *A everyone keeps mentioning?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Hello all,

I haven't been here in a while and was just parousing throught thinking of getting away from United.

What is the *A everyone keeps mentioning?

Thanks
Welcome to FT !

*A stands for Star Alliance in which UA is already included as you know.

For your 1P status, Northwest will match you up to their mid tier Gold Elite. American will only offer you a challenge up to Platinum for which you have to pay

On some routes Alaska Airlines can make sense which matches up to MVP Gold.

You being based in ORD I guess it doesnt make much sense to escape to anyone else than AA. You dont really want to fly NW via MSP or DTW when the weather makes your life difficult enough in ORD (and these short flights are the first that get cancelled).

Hope that helps !

Cheers,
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks skywalkerLAX!!

I was confused what the *A was.

I am so frustrated with United.

I wish I would have done the AA Plat. challange last year.

Like you said, I am stuck with either AA or UA. Being they do not match and now charge $150, I don't see the benefit in my book.

Guess I am stuck with UA.

Cheers and thanks for the speedy response!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Thanks skywalkerLAX!!

I was confused what the *A was.

I am so frustrated with United.

I wish I would have done the AA Plat. challange last year.

Like you said, I am stuck with either AA or UA. Being they do not match and now charge $150, I don't see the benefit in my book.

Guess I am stuck with UA.

Cheers and thanks for the speedy response!
Your welcome !

If it's really bad then well... of course you can try something different.

I just warn you in advance that with AA you wont settle to greener pastures @:-)
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:02 pm

LANPASS success story - Comodoro

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
LAN responded today (4 weeks after my initial message) with the following:

So I answered that our operations in South America are new and therefore I had no reason to fly these routes in 2008.

Oh well, lets wait for the answer. I expect it at the end of February.

Cheers,
S
Okay, for more details, please check my thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post11146406

I received a reply from a person (not automated ones) exactly AFTER 31 days since my first email to LANPASS:

Dear Mr. brahms77,

We inform you that we have received your request of category match.

Regarding this, we inform you that we have approved your category match to Comodoro (Emerald). Benefit's category will be active in 10 more days.

Thanks for choosing LAN,

LANPASS Service
Note: Names are edited.

So, I got Comodoro, after sending in my UA 1K card scans, PDF copy of my 23 month *A and UA flight activity (from united.com) and a lot of patience. Status reflected immediately on my online profile.

OW nobody to OW Emerald!!! Boy aren't I excited? Now, my question is whether or not BA and QF will allow me into their F lounges without me having a card...

This also confirms that LANPASS actually carefully studies status match request letters/emails and whether or not the customer requesting is flying on LAN routes, etc. So, when you draft a letter, I suggest that you also write about your plans for LAN flights. I thinking forwarding them with my upcoming LAN and LA coded flights (six long haul in D class) kind of helped (b/c my mailing address is in Korea and there are no LA flights there or even to Asia).

Last edited by brahms77; Jan 26, 2009 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Trying to Determine the Best timing for my Status Match Request

I'm currently Worldperks platinum elite, but Delta has been setting off bombs to blow up the value of my relatively new top-tier elite status. However, in order to use up all of my Worldperks miles before they become nearly worthless to me I've booked a bunch of award trips throughout the year (which Delta has now partially blown up also with their announcement that they are taking away my free Platinum award changes and redeposits of miles on March 1, right at the start of my first full status year as a Platinum ).

My question when exactly would likely be the best time to ask for a Status Match?
I understand most other airlines have seen the Carnage over at Delta - NW and are being generous in their status match offers right now. But if I request this now, I'm going to have an extremely difficult time maintaining my status for next year; I just don't have the time to do many paid flights until next year.
I'm debating the same thing, with the changes so late I'm already too committed to NW/DL for the next couple of months with flights booked, a fare credit waiting to be used etc. If I match to CO the 50% will kill me and I am not sure I'll even go for Plat this year on any airline, just booked summer TATL travel for $600 on a special deal, and that was not NW/DL. Maybe I'll forget about loyalty and book whomever is most convenient/cheapest. For domestic I've already switched mostly to WN (many NS from BNA).

The best course of action seems to be to use up the few remaining miles, get at least silver on NW/DL in the process and match to another airline after June 15 and try to get status until early 2011. Hopefully by the end of this year it will be known when CO will join *A, I can live with the combined UA/CO network but not with either one of them. But then, which airline will be the next to announce billions in losses? The benefits are going downhill no matter what.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
coincidence? I think not!

jk

have the platinum cards always been black?

in my opinion, the silver card looks the classiest...
gold is a tad on the tacky side... black.. eh...
what works for me is to scan it and invert the colors, that makes the card faxable (if that is a word).
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
Received my CO status match

I live in northern NJ and fly CO most of the time but continued as a NW Worldperks Silver Elite. However, after the merger, Delta has started screwing around with Worldperks and I decided to fully switch to CO. I sent them an email yesterday and got a reply this morning. I no longer have to worry about how else Delta will undermine my miles... I'm burning what I have on CO before CO leaves Skyteam and then it's a clean start.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:58 pm

I was interested in status matching to NW, however, NW has informed me that a response can take 4-6 weeks. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ipott
I live in northern NJ and fly CO most of the time but continued as a NW Worldperks Silver Elite. However, after the merger, Delta has started screwing around with Worldperks and I decided to fully switch to CO. I sent them an email yesterday and got a reply this morning. I no longer have to worry about how else Delta will undermine my miles... I'm burning what I have on CO before CO leaves Skyteam and then it's a clean start.
I did the same yesterday and they called today asking me to re-send the fax with a clearer copy of the Skymiles card. I hope the match me soon.

Did your continental account show your status today?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:21 pm

UA Status Match Bonus Miles

When you status match to UA and they offer you a challenge, it is said that you get the elite benefits upfront for the duration of the challenge.

Does that mean that you earn mileage bonuses on the flights that you take in those 90 days?

Do you get the bonuses even on flights on other *A carriers? (I know those flights don't count towards the challenge).

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.