Reload this Page >

60 AA miles/$ at Magazine.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:44 pm

I have learned a few things after placing several orders.
Sometimes the amount that shows up on the aadvantageshopping site will be less than what you actually spent. If your magazine was on sale, it won't track properly due to some issues with linkshare. If that happens, speak with magazines.com and they will fix things for you. The other thing is that the magazine could be international and not eligible. It's not always obvious what is international, but if you look at the fine print above the large picture of the magazine, it might say "international". See for example the "Killer Sudoku" magazine.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: Clubcarlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire AMB etc.
Employment Relations Today sells for over 900$ and could save a lot of trees. Seems to be legit, ie not international, not a journal as far as I can see.. Anything I'm missing here??

http://www.magazines.com/employment-...efault,pd.html
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Do you mind being a little more specific?
I'm trying to put my UK card through the site and it won't allow it.

I've tried keeping my address the same, but changing the city to New York and using my friend's NY postcode. I can't get it to work.

I'd really appreciate anybody helping me with this.^

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Thomastraveller
I'm pretty sure there's a workaround - do you have Amex, they seem to be better for this sort of thing
I did use an Amex, and added a "0" at the end to convert my 4 digit post code to a 5 digit one; and used the corresponding correct city in the payment details form.

The payment was charged to my CC fine however no transaction shows up in my eShopping account.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

The last day to make these purchases is tomorrow correct? I believe I saw somewhere it expires on the 30th
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Placed close to $2400 in subscriptions. Quite a few friends are getting gift subscriptions. Now lets hope those ~140k miles post soon so I can plan a nice trip!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by silver-tls
Placed close to $2400 in subscriptions. Quite a few friends are getting gift subscriptions. Now lets hope those ~140k miles post soon so I can plan a nice trip!
Why are some ofyou spending so much money for miles? It seems the reward is not much different than just spending cold cash for the trip...you going to go through all the trouble of magazines cluttering up your boxes?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by doss1
Why are some ofyou spending so much money for miles? It seems the reward is not much different than just spending cold cash for the trip...you going to go through all the trouble of magazines cluttering up your boxes?
A RT JFK-HKG CX F ticket for 135,000 miles is many times more than $2,400 for instance.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
You're kidding, right? I can get close to 1M miles for $15K. That would be 10 long-haul international trips in biz at $1500 each (or 8 in F at <$2000 each). Do you happen to know where I could find the equivalent for cash???
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Priority Club
I am having serious problems with Magazines.com

I first tried to place a large order of magazines for a nonprofit that sends magazines to troops stationed overseas. The magazines go directly to the nonprofit who then sends them out to various locations. The nonprofit provides an address to which to send the subscriptions. Magazines.com cancelled my order for violating some "rule."

Next, I placed orders for legitimate gifts. I have a large family and ordered several subscriptions for nieces and nephews, elderly family members in nursing homes, and other family members who I knew would enjoy them. I kept each order between $500 and $1,000. I also ordered some magazines for myself and for my business. Each of these subscriptions is 100 percent legitimate and will be enjoyed and used. Magazines.com cancelled EVERY SINGLE ORDER. I did not receive a notification that the order was cancelled. Rather, I logged into my account to check. All in, I hoped to spend about $4,000 for magazine subscriptions.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are any large orders actually going through? Magazines.com gives me the runaround when I called to straighten the order out.

I am preparing a complaint to file with the Tennessee Attorney General's Division of Consumer Affairs.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
who knows, i made a $250 order. cancelled with no explanation and said I was the one who did it. And they've taken my money and no refund yet
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Travelingmom2three
Is anyone else experiencing this? Are any large orders actually going through? Magazines.com gives me the runaround when I called to straighten the order out.

I am preparing a complaint to file with the Tennessee Attorney General's Division of Consumer Affairs.
I'm having problems as well. Magazines.com cancelled a $1k order being sent to the Children's Hospital. I called and tried to clarify things. They've taken note and said I should receive a "response" in 3-5 days.

Note- the lady said they have a high incidence of fraud with transactions going through the AA portal and she even asked for my AAdvantage number. We'll see... My feeling is that someone made a mistake there with the 60/miles promo and they're doing what they can to kill orders over a certain threshold.

I did have a couple order for sub $200 go through.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by vasantn
Quote:

You're kidding, right? I can get close to 1M miles for $15K. That would be 10 long-haul international trips in biz at $1500 each (or 8 in F at &lt;$2000 each). Do you happen to know where I could find the equivalent for cash???
Fat Chance this plan will work....
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, UA
Be careful

I also encountered problems using non-USA credit cards. Amex rang me shortly after I managed to complete the purchase, to check for fraud - the first Amex card I used apparenly was successfully authorized, but Magazine.com checkout page showed red lines asking me to check the card details again. I tried a couple more times with the same card - again failed, then I used a different Amex (supplentary card), which went through.

Be careful of double/triple charges if you use more than one cards and more than once.

Originally Posted by SQ421
I did use an Amex, and added a "0" at the end to convert my 4 digit post code to a 5 digit one; and used the corresponding correct city in the payment details form.

The payment was charged to my CC fine however no transaction shows up in my eShopping account.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
This was a hopeless promo for any non us resident
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
This was a hopeless promo for any non us resident

Unless they had a US friend whose CC they could borrow...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.