MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Vantiger
Has anyone heard if the GreatCanadian Rebates offer for the MBNA Alaska Air Mastercard is coming back... I read somewhere a while back that it was going to come back in December, but that still hasn't happened.
GCR had a message saying it was coming back in November.. but that has been taken down. Unfortunately, MBNA is dealing with the transition to TD systems and it is taking longer then expected. The GCR rep told me they don't know when it will be back.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:37 pm

Last edited by erik19283; Jan 26, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by tommy99
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
The Aussie dollar is at par. The Euro hasn't changed much. I have a dive trip that is in Aussie $ and another in Euro's. Both are at the same when I put the deposit down.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
The Aussie dollar is at par. The Euro hasn't changed much. I have a dive trip that is in Aussie $ and another in Euro's. Both are at the same when I put the deposit down.
Lucky for you. I booked a dive trip in Sipadan for April and now the cost has skyrocketed by 25% (since it's priced in USD) since I put the deposit down.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:34 am

BA announced big changes to award chart starting April 28. Business will now cost triple and first cost quadruple economy, up from double and triple.

That YVR to JFK first and business class isn't looking so hot on Avios any more. Shockingly, even Asia miles prices it cheaper.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by tommy99
With the huge dive of the US dollar due to yesterday's rate cut, (and the expected decline to continue) travel for us Canadians is getting so much more expensive. It's going to cost close to $2 for a UK pound, $1.50 for a Euro. A lot of us have plenty of points, or are constantly accumulating them, and need to go somewhere.

While I think we should all be exploring our great country more, as we know, it ain't cheap either (although the low gas prices will certainly help with a road trip). Any suggestions of destinations that will allow us a reasonable bang for our buck?
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Japan springs to mind.
Anywhere around Asia will still give you strong purchasing power.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by tng11
Lucky for you. I booked a dive trip in Sipadan for April and now the cost has skyrocketed by 25% (since it's priced in USD) since I put the deposit down.
We do have a booking on the Arenui for July/16 that's in US but it's the smallest amount of the 3. Just have to find some Euro priced resorts in Bali to extend our stay. All of the liveaboard boats in Indo are in US, not many Canadians and Europeans are going to be happy with that.

Where are you going in Sipadan?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Interesting. Although I've never heard of anyone actually being successful with this despite the obvious claim. I'd be curious to hear is anyone was
I faxed in my application and got approved for a greater than 5k USD credit limit after a few weeks. Took a call to read another disclosure, and a second call to verify info on the TU Canada report.

No SSN, no US credit history to speak of.

Had existing TD Canada borderless and TD Bank US checking account at time of application.

Haven't received the card yet, but it shows up on my TD Bank US online banking.

http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/aeroplan.html

Last edited by crimsona; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crimsona
I faxed in my application and got approved for a greater than 5k USD credit limit after a few weeks. Took a call to read another disclosure, and a second call to verify info on the TU Canada report.

Had existing TD Canada borderless and TD Bank US checking account at time of application.

Hi. Just wondering where we can get the application.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by loun80
http://www.tdbank.com/exc/pdf/aeropl...pplication.pdf
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
Click on apply now. There's a prompt for US resident or Canadian resident...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona

wow nice!!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:40 pm

So I referred my parents to the SPG amex but since they are not very good with technology, they just signed up on AMEX's official website. Is there any way to get the referral bonus still without the email? The CSR recommendation is to cancel the card and apply again which I don't think is ideal because of another credit hit. But 20,000 points is 20,000 points...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by spark787
So I referred my parents to the SPG amex but since they are not very good with technology, they just signed up on AMEX's official website. Is there any way to get the referral bonus still without the email? The CSR recommendation is to cancel the card and apply again which I don't think is ideal because of another credit hit. But 20,000 points is 20,000 points...
Unfortunately, you will probably have to cancel the application and do it again.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Where are you going in Sipadan?
I am doing a liveaboard there. Not exactly liking the reviews about the apparent lack of maintenance on the boat - but it seems to be the only option to get in multiple dives there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.