MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
could be quite lucrative with multiple products, for example with BMO

No Fee -> Air Miles -> AM Gold -> World Elite -> No Fee

since when i asked them, they said as long as you are upgrading, you usually qualify for bonus offers.
Except the BMO World Elite offer ($300 points, FYF) usually would have T&C saying previous cardholder does NOT qualify for the $300 welcome points, one may get FYF for 2nd time though

so you can only downgrade & upgrade ONCE really vs. say AMEX/TD/CIBC (cancel & apply) or RBC (downgrade & upgrade)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: *void

since when i asked them, they said as long as you are upgrading, you usually qualify for bonus offers.
Datapoints:
I upgraded a no-fee BMO Airmiles MC to the BMO World Elite MC, full promo offered. However, my wife asked for the same but was denied. i.e., we were both upgrading. I have a small BMO bank account, she does not. Our cards were about the same age, just over a year opened. We each spent between $500 - $8000 on it during that time period, not a lot.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Datapoints:
I upgraded a no-fee BMO Airmiles MC to the BMO World Elite MC, full promo offered. However, my wife asked for the same but was denied. i.e., we were both upgrading. I have a small BMO bank account, she does not. Our cards were about the same age, just over a year opened. We each spent between $500 - $8000 on it during that time period, not a lot.
BMO Data point 2:

We request to upgrade/change our AM Gold to World Elite and was told no bonus due to being a premium MC customer already.
My BMO AM Gold is my main MC in Canada.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:41 am

Datapoints:
JJJonahJ - When you did the successful upgrade, does this mean no credit pull?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
I have never had a credit pull on an upgrade, and I suspect this is because you already hold the account. BUT I often wonder if the criteria for the card is different (minimum household income, for example) if they'd deny you or make you reapply over the phone and do the pull?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: *void
Datapoints:
As pokee mentioned, when you do a product change (upgrade or downgrade) the account remains the same within your credit file, even if the card account changes to a new number.

I up-converted from a no-fee Airmiles card to a World Elite MC, which requires $60-$70K income. But, if the FI doesn't ask you to prove your income, you'll get the new card.
i.e., your credit file does not store your income info.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I have never had a credit pull on an upgrade, and I suspect this is because you already hold the account. BUT I often wonder if the criteria for the card is different (minimum household income, for example) if they'd deny you or make you reapply over the phone and do the pull?
As pokee mentioned, when you do a product change (upgrade or downgrade) the account remains the same within your credit file, even if the card account changes to a new number.

I up-converted from a no-fee Airmiles card to a World Elite MC, which requires $60-$70K income. But, if the FI doesn't ask you to prove your income, you'll get the new card.
i.e., your credit file does not store your income info.
Great! Thank you both. I have an unwanted BMO US$ account which I will try upgrading.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:45 pm

Great! Thank you both. I have an unwanted BMO US$ account which I will try upgrading.
I held the BMO US MC and I don't think it qualifies for upgrading or downgrading, because it's a US dollar and in a different category of cards. When I found mine to be useless, I just cancelled it. Having said that, I didn't try, so you could do it. Good luck!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:19 pm

A bunch of MBNA cards have been added back to GCR recently, however still no Alaska Air in sight. Is that one rumored to return?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe

A quick look at the source code reveals that the "Apply now" button is simply hidden by a HTML comment tag [colored in green in the above screenshot]. So it is definitely not a "bug", but a deliberate choice to hide it.

Hope this isn't a bad omen. I received an email today from Marriott Rewards offering me 50k after 1st purchase, though.
Interesting. And if you were "unhide" it, the link is still active:

https://ccsic.fni-stl.com/cgi-bin/ma...URCE_CODE=X2H5

But then again, why would anyone want you want that link? Its only 30k.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by pokee
I held the BMO US MC and I don't think it qualifies for upgrading or downgrading, because it's a US dollar and in a different category of cards. When I found mine to be useless, I just cancelled it. Having said that, I didn't try, so you could do it. Good luck!
There isn't any promo for the BMO US$ MC. I kept mine as they would not have two billing addresses on my AirMiles Gold so I use the US one for US online shopping shipped to my "US billing address"
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:01 am

I tried applying for the TD Aeroplan Visa online through the GCR promotion. I have tried twice and both times there was an error in identifying me (it happened after it asked me the personal questions to confirm my identity which I answered correctly) so they said to go into a TD Branch to sign-up.

However, will I be still able to get this offer (ie. FYF, 25,000 Aeroplan miles) if I go into a branch? Anybody run into this situation?

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by JetLife
I tried applying for the TD Aeroplan Visa online through the GCR promotion. I have tried twice and both times there was an error in identifying me (it happened after it asked me the personal questions to confirm my identity which I answered correctly) so they said to go into a TD Branch to sign-up.

However, will I be still able to get this offer (ie. FYF, 25,000 Aeroplan miles) if I go into a branch? Anybody run into this situation?

Thanks.
You should read & ask in this thread, then we can reply there
but it's YMMV, since 25K/FYF offer isn't "public" or available on TD online

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24404289
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You should read & ask in this thread, then we can reply there
but it's YMMV, since 25K/FYF offer isn't "public" or available on TD online

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24404289
Thanks for directing me to the correct thread.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:57 am

Data Point:

I hold a BMO Airmiles Gold card. I upgraded it from a non-fee airmiles in October to get the 2,000 airmiles. I spoke to the CSR rep today who was prepared to do a product switch (no-credit hit) to the World Elite. He said I was eligible for whatever promotion is online right now. (FYF and $300 credit)

I have held that account for 15 years, but just keep switching between cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.