MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I don't know how much value my word is on this topic, but here's my experience.

Like your family, ONE of my TD Aero Infinite Visas was also created by a sale from CIBC to TD. I cancelled, or converted all of my 'playing cards' to no-fee TD cards and then applied for another TD AeroInfinite through GCR in Nov, and got all the bonuses. Then for 'fun', a couple of weeks later I applied for another through the RFD cashback offer, and when I spoke to TD reps (two occasions), they both said they saw the welcome offers on my application. I just exceeded the $1K spending on this latest card...the proof will be in the first-statement's pudding, which is due to cycle next week.

Other people's experience may be different. Look both ways before you cross the street.
Let us know the results of this second application. I am sure people, including myself, are very curious as to the outcome Though I am sure it's one of the scenarios where YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
Is anyone else getting this error when you try to apply for the Canadian TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa?

"Unfortunately, we have encountered system issues and cannot process your application at this time. Please try again in a few hours or visit any TD Canada Trust branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Find the nearest Canada Trust Branch Save My Application "
Mr prmetime and I had this problem too as we were not known to TD bank. Applied in branch (with offer in hand) and were promised all bonuses would be honoured. Annual fee refunded. First statement generates later this week so it will be interesting to see how it posts!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Plus, apply through GCR for the TD Infinite, and you'll actually bank $50 for the 25K bonus!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:55 am

Note that the TD USA card has a 2.8% (or 3%) foreign transaction fee. Not a foreign currency fee, but foreign transaction. So any transactions (even in US$) outside the US will incur this fee.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
It's not... only works through the online links.
I will try in branch today....I was trying to convert a non fee card to the Aeroplan however they did not want all for FYF. I will report back later
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Originally Posted by yerffej201
It's not... only works through the online links.
I will try in branch today....I was trying to convert a non fee card to the Aeroplan however they did not want all for FYF. I will report back later
Yup worked in branch
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone signed up for the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card? FYF and a 20,000 point bonus. I could have sworn that there was no minimum spend when I applied 2 weeks ago. Now I see on the Scotia Bank website that there's a $1000 minimum spend to get bonus points.

I also don't want to wait up to 5 months to get the points as their website also says "The points will appear as an adjustment on your Scotiabank Gold American Express Card statement within two statement cycles after the third billing cycle has passed".

Has anyone else signed up for the card a couple weeks ago? Did you notice these terms?

I'm about to cancel this card and I just activated it.

Last edited by loun80; Jan 16, 2015 at 12:02 am Reason: Added info.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:02 am

Has anyone signed up for the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card? FYF and 20,000 point bonus. I could have sworn that there was no minimum spend when I applied 2 weeks ago. Now I see on the Scotia Bank website that there's a $1000 minimum spend to get bonus points. Has anyone else signed up for the card a couple weeks ago?
I have been trying to apply for that card for the last 24 hours but keep getting an error on their site.

They insist that I put a "UNIT TYPE" when I live in a standalone home. I have even tried to fill the field into satisfy them, and it doesn't work.

Oh, and some people have been saying that you can only hold 2 Amex cards at one time. I had 3 of them (Plat, Gold Rewards, and Amex AeroplanPlus) until a few days ago.

I cancelled the last 2, so that I can apply for the SPG card (better chances that way, I suppose), and reapply for the two I dropped sooner...

Last edited by alexteacher; Jan 16, 2015 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexteacher
I have been trying to apply for that card for the last 24 hours but keep getting an error on their site.

They insist that I put a "UNIT TYPE" when I live in a standalone home. I have even tried to fill the field into satisfy them, and it doesn't work.

Oh, and some people have been saying that you can only hold 2 Amex cards at one time. I had 3 of them (Plat, Gold Rewards, and Amex AeroplanPlus) until a few days ago.

I cancelled the last 2, so that I can apply for the SPG card (better chances that way, I suppose), and reapply for the two I dropped sooner...
I'm not sure why some people can only hold 2 Amex cards. I have the following now:
American Express Gold Rewards
American Express AeroPlus Gold
American Express Business Gold Rewards
American Express Starwood Preferred Guest
American Express Scotia Gold
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:44 am

I'm not sure why some people can only hold 2 Amex cards. I have the following now:

This seems to be some conventional wisdom that gets passed around. I read about it when I was totally green ( still very green here ) and had just joined the site, but now know first hand, like yourself, that it is not true.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
its 2 AMEX CREDIT cards

out of the ones you listed, the first 3 are CHARGE cards
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott

Plat, Gold Rewards, AeroplanPlus are all CHARGE cards

SPG is CREDIT card. Cancelling 2 charge cards has no effect on whether or not you can get the SPG credit card.

its very easy to tell them apart. It says on the website when you click thru the different types of cards under "card type"
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
Plat, Gold Rewards, AeroplanPlus are all CHARGE cards

SPG is CREDIT card. Cancelling 2 charge cards has no effect on whether or not you can get the SPG credit card.

its very easy to tell them apart. It says on the website when you click thru the different types of cards under "card type"
Hi Cerenity, thanks for the differentiation. I am aware there is a difference between the cards, but many people on this boards say, "You can't have more than 2 Amex cards", yada yada.

And I am not sure if cancelling the 2 other cards has any direct affect on whether I can get the SPG card, but I imagine the less cards one has open the better.

What I did was cancel an RBC card, the Gold Rewards Card, and the AeroplanPlus cards.

Then I waited a few days and applied for the TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa (approved), Alaska Airlines Mastercard (approved), Capital One IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard (approved), and the Amex SPG card (pending approval).

I also tried for the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card, but the is some computer glitch that prevents me.

Thanks for reminding me of the difference between the Amex cards; I still have a lot to learn and keep in mind...

(I botched this last application in that I didn't go through GCR for 2 rebates...which cost me some cash... )
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: *void
Hi Cerenity, thanks for the differentiation. I am aware there is a difference between the cards, but many people on this boards say, "You can't have more than 2 Amex cards", yada yada.

And I am not sure if cancelling the 2 other cards has any direct affect on whether I can get the SPG card, but I imagine the less cards one has open the better.
Hi alex,

It can be confusing, because so many people say yada yada as they don't know any better. The reality based on my first-hand experience is that it's a maximum of TWO Amex CREDIT cards, and as many Amex CHARGE cards as your credit-mobile can carry.

As for cancelling previous cards...you only have to do this if you want to avoid an annual fee, or if you want re-apply for the same exact identical card from Amex, because in general they do NOT allow you to carry duplicate cards...keeping in mind, for eg., that the Gold Rewards is NOT the identical card as the Biz Gold Rewards.

The other reason you may want to cancel cards is if you're getting close to the maximum allowable credit limit under that card issuer, and need to free up some cap space.

Even if you cancel your cards, they stay on your credit file for 6 or 7 years anyway, so the creditors still see it on your file (if they decide to look).

JJJ
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Hi alex,

It can be confusing, because so many people say yada yada as they don't know any better. The reality based on my first-hand experience is that it's a maximum of TWO Amex CREDIT cards, and as many Amex CHARGE cards as your credit-mobile can carry.
Duly noted, and thanks. ^

As for cancelling previous cards...you only have to do this if you want to avoid an annual fee, or if you want re-apply for the same exact identical card from Amex, because in general they do NOT allow you to carry duplicate cards...keeping in mind, for eg., that the Gold Rewards is NOT the identical card as the Biz Gold Rewards.
I canceled the cards as I would like to reapply for both sooner rather than later. I have heard that a waiting period of 6 months or so is best?

And, also, do you know how many times someone can churn these cards?

I have now had both cards twice...with all of the full sign-up bonuses

The other reason you may want to cancel cards is if you're getting close to the maximum allowable credit limit under that card issuer, and need to free up some cap space.
I was thinking this as well.

And I forgot to mention, I just applied for the Amex Business Gold Rewards card as well... (conditionally approved).

It will be interesting to see if both the SPG and the Amex Business Gold Rewards cards are both issued.

Even if you cancel your cards, they stay on your credit file for 6 or 7 years anyway, so the creditors still see it on your file (if they decide to look).

JJJ
Do you know if creditors take a view one way or the other when they see that someone has been applying for 5-10 cards in a year, for example?

Alex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.