MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Post whatever you want, if you feel it's relevant. It's not up to me, I'm not a moderator. If they weren't so busy already as it is, they might have already clipped some of these posts and moved them there anyway, as they've done in the past.

My suggestion was that since there is a MORE RELEVANT thread that discusses the Amex cards, you may find it more useful to share your information there. That's what the FT community is for...sharing information. Most people wouldn't even KNOW to come to this thread to find info on the Canadian Amex cards, as they would go to the Amex forum to browse for discussions.
+1000 from me

I think AMEX * stuff should go there (AMEX section, AMEX thread)

Everything else (except maybe where it has its own threads/loyalty program relations already, like Chase Marriott, or Cap1 IHG) can come here
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Everything else (except maybe where it has its own threads/loyalty program relations already, like Chase Marriott, or Cap1 IHG) can come here
Can you point us to the Capital One Canada IHG thread? I did a search but I only found old threads…
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Can you point us to the Capital One Canada IHG thread? I did a search but I only found old threads…
Google found me this, for CANADA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...rd-canada.html

I think there may be another thread, where Cap1 rep officially says the 60K offer is here to stay
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:59 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but my mom just cancelled her air miles credit card, and is giving up on collecting them. She isn't sure what to do with the points. She only has 550, and the air miles website is pretty hard to navigate to find something with so few points. All her points went into the 'dream rewards' category, so we can't just get gift certificates.

Any thoughts on either things that can be gotten for less than 550 points or a link to some sort of website that allows me to arrange the air miles catalog by number of points?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by nucleosidase
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but my mom just cancelled her air miles credit card, and is giving up on collecting them. She isn't sure what to do with the points. She only has 550, and the air miles website is pretty hard to navigate to find something with so few points. All her points went into the 'dream rewards' category, so we can't just get gift certificates.

Any thoughts on either things that can be gotten for less than 550 points or a link to some sort of website that allows me to arrange the air miles catalog by number of points?
She can buy groceries at Metro. 10 dollars worth for 95 points.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:26 pm

Not if her miles are Dream miles
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:51 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it's dream rewards, but thanks for the suggestion.
I ended up systematically going through the website and found a couple of things. I think we'll probably go for a ski lift ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:08 am

It's sad what's happened to Air Miles. I have about 2000 dream rewards and I can't use them for gift cards OR transfer them to cash rewards. I have to redeem a useless household item, or book some sort of travel (air/hotel/entertainment) and then cross my fingers that I don't need to cancel. I don't feel like spending $200 for their cancellation insurance, thanks very much - so I'll be rollin' the dice!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:27 am

I used to convert airmiles to gas card. They now converted the miles into two types and it gets very inconvenient for casual collectors like me.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Amex to BA Bonus???

**Side note; I have 6K in Air miles, been using them at IGA since the mid 90's. I too don't know what to do with them. If I book, they get me a ticket and I have to pay an absurd amount of taxes. Not worth it. I wonder if we can convert them or trade to something else using points.com. But a good trade, Last I saw was 6k (yes that's 120k spending) gave you stupid amount (less than 10k) through I don't remember where.... Maybe someone can give me a heads up?

So moving on... Are there any serious bonuses from amex to ba anytime soon?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:39 pm

I think since last AIR MILES enhancement/devaluation, redemptions now include taxes. So you should be able to book a flight. Use this map to see where you can go.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I think only fuel surcharge got absorbed into the mile cost

What used to be 1350 or 1750 miles + ~$180 in taxes/fees for us now costs 1600 or 2000 miles + ~$120 in taxes/fees but there is no longer a fuel surcharge entry in the list of taxes & fees.

saving $60 for 250 miles is actually towards the top end of my air miles value range

Last edited by Cerenity; Jan 6, 2015 at 1:02 pm Reason: correct # of air miles required
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
I think only fuel surcharge got absorbed into the mile cost

What used to be 1350 or 1750 miles + ~$180 in taxes/fees for us now costs 1600 or 2000 miles + ~$120 in taxes/fees but there is no longer a fuel surcharge entry in the list of taxes & fees.

saving $60 for 250 miles is actually towards the top end of my air miles value range
Oh, I see. Well, I must say the marketing team at Air Miles did a great job. Since I was convinced that redemptions were now including all taxes and fees... :-/
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:37 pm

AirMiles dream miles really blow. They're useless now that there's no gift cards. It doesn't seem you can convert them to anything useful. I may get a cordless phone answering machine with the 2000 points I have (yeah, I should be able to get a $500 airfare with that, and I am thinking of redeeming for a $70 phone). It's so bad I am surprised that they are still able to make enough money to run the program...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Question Manufactured spending?

I guess I'll ask since it is an Amex plat (Canadian version).

There's been talk of an ultra bonus you can talk yourself into;

100k MR for 10K$ spend. As if 3K$ wasn't bad enough last year, this year it's about 5K$ biz or 10K$ Plat spend.

Ok I might be ranting a bit... But it's tough when there isn't the same type of manufactured spending there was a few years ago. Does anyone know what kind of manufactured spendings exist now that are accepted?

Some ideas would be much appreciated!

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.