Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Retention Bonuses

I signed up for 2 AA personal cards and tried to cancel both cards (2 separate calls, 1 card cancel for each call). For the Amex I was offered a $85 statement credit after making 5 purchases (no min. amount necessary). For the Visa I was offered the $85 credit and 750 bonus miles for each month that I spend $750, with the offer valid for the next 16 billing cycles.

The funny part was I told the second CSR about the deal they gave me on the first card and she told me to make the 5 purchases and then try to cancel. I asked if taking the $85 credit and then canceling my card before the annual fee would hurt my relationship with Citi and she said it wouldn't. I don't know if I believe her, but willing to try it out.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by littlemookie
I signed up for 2 AA personal cards and tried to cancel both cards (2 separate calls, 1 card cancel for each call). For the Amex I was offered a $85 statement credit after making 5 purchases (no min. amount necessary). For the Visa I was offered the $85 credit and 750 bonus miles for each month that I spend $750, with the offer valid for the next 16 billing cycles.

The funny part was I told the second CSR about the deal they gave me on the first card and she told me to make the 5 purchases and then try to cancel. I asked if taking the $85 credit and then canceling my card before the annual fee would hurt my relationship with Citi and she said it wouldn't. I don't know if I believe her, but willing to try it out.
That's great! I'll keep that in mind when I cancel my 2 cards.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA 1M, Delta Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
I reached the 4k spend requirement a week ago, so the clock is ticking on the 8-10 weeks for the miles to post. I've had them post quicker than that in the past though.

Question...has anyone who applied recently (May-July) had their bonus miles post yet? I called upon activation and confirmed the 75k mile promo, but won't be 100% confident until they post.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by hinese
I reached the 4k spend requirement a week ago, so the clock is ticking on the 8-10 weeks for the miles to post. I've had them post quicker than that in the past though.

Question...has anyone who applied recently (May-July) had their bonus miles post yet? I called upon activation and confirmed the 75k mile promo, but won't be 100% confident until they post.

I applied the end of June, had 4 cards (2 for wife, 2 for me) within a week, and have met the spending requirement on all of them. All but 1 card has already had the statement close and the miles posted about 2 days after the statement closed. The last card closes today, so I expect those miles to show up by Wednesday.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
great to hear, I was wondering if and when mine will post too. I stupidly only signed up for the $1500 75k miles card. Anyway, will cancel once my miles arrive and wait to do it again....
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
My situation, which hasn't been addressed in the last several pages:
  • Long time holder (over a decade) and still current holder of the personal Visa.
  • Got the business Visa last year but recently canceled it.

Applied today for the personal Amex. Got a popup to chat to discuss application status. They asked for a cell phone number, then came back and asked if $5K credit limit was enough, or if I wanted to move some of the credit line over from my Visa. I said it was enough, they said I'd have my new card within a week.
One more data point to show that the "first time only" clause does not seem to affect cardholders whose cards are opened more than 2 years ago - that there is no need to cancel the existing card as long as you can get a fee waiver i.e. no carrying cost.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
Hi, does anyone know if balances from another card can be transferred to the personal Amex card or if it would count toward the 4k spend limit? Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by projecteva
Hi, does anyone know if balances from another card can be transferred to the personal Amex card or if it would count toward the 4k spend limit? Thank you.
I'm not sure, but if it were being transferred I don't think it would count towards the 4k; I don't think a BT can count as new spending on the card.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Mrs User Name has a CitiBusiness with a low, $1,000 credit limit.

Does anyone know if she can pre-pay as a means to make larger purchases, to speed up getting her bonus?

(She's on the old 100K/$10K deal).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:18 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I tried to prepay

I have abour $400 stuff still in pending status after several days, and my payment is due 8/3, so I tried to pay more than the balance Citi shows and it wouldn't allow me to pay anything beyond current balance online.

I am going to call in and try to make the payment for the greater amount today. Will post whether I succeed.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by akp
I have abour $400 stuff still in pending status after several days, and my payment is due 8/3, so I tried to pay more than the balance Citi shows and it wouldn't allow me to pay anything beyond current balance online.

I am going to call in and try to make the payment for the greater amount today. Will post whether I succeed.
You won't. They won't let you prepay
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:35 am

Exclamation Error Messages when applying both today (8/1)

"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!"

Have to wait and pray.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:17 am

Hi. I applied for biz card one years ago and got the bonus. I just called and closed it. Can I apply it again? any chance to get bonus again? Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by foolvivi
Hi. I applied for biz card one years ago and got the bonus. I just called and closed it. Can I apply it again? any chance to get bonus again? Thanks.
American Airlines Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
American Airlines Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]
What if I have all three one years ago (persenal visa, amex, biz visa) and closed them all now. Can I apply again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.