Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by Infinion
Hey jcmitchell21, do you know the answer to this? Doesn't really matter for me since I've already applied for both, but others might be interested if there is some trick we're missing.
The only thing I can think of is if they applied for the Amex first followed by the Visa, and the Amex offer got carried over. People have reported in the past couple of days at getting the $1500 offer. I would like to know if they cleared cookies between applications.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I would like to know if they cleared cookies between applications.
Me too. I keep asking, and it doesn't seem that people that are getting 2X $4000 spends are saying anything about clearing cookies. They've said they're using different browsers, but I'm not sure that has the intended effect, especially if, like you say, they opened one link, then another, and the first offer was the one that stuck.

I should get my cards in the next couple days, so I'll let you know. I followed post 2, clearing cookies only, and not using two browsers or anything like that.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:26 pm

The only thing I can think of is if they applied for the Amex first followed by the Visa, and the Amex offer got carried over. People have reported in the past couple of days at getting the $1500 offer. I would like to know if they cleared cookies between applications.
Yes, I cleared cookies (actually did a full reset - see below), used two different browsers (1 Safari/1 FF), and EVEN used two different computers (not necessary, IMO). Had to call to finalize both cards (now I know that maybe this was not necessary) but my CSRs confirmed a $1500 spend for the VISA and a $4000 spend for the AMEX - both first year fees waived and 75K miles each.

However, I do think that clearing cookies alone may not be sufficient, and that probably to be safe you want to do a full reset of the browser, which entails clearing the cache, resetting auto-fills and the whole shebang. Since most people probably don't want to do that, just download a new browser or remove your FF profile to your desktop and create a new one, reset it for the applications, and then move the original back into your profiles folder when you are done.

Last edited by fierydragon; Jul 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Infinion
Did you clear your cookie before the first app, and before the second app? Having them open together seems to cause problems for some people, but you'll let us know how it work out. It seems that when people do that, they end up getting 2 $4000 spend cards. Not terrible, but could have been better.

I was stopped on step 3 of the personal Amex. Got an email the next day that it was approved. So yes, some people do get approved when stopped at step 3. But it seems that most people don't. I wouldn't call until you hear more. You'll at least get an email within a few days, start when that happens.
Thanks Infinion. I opened Internet Explorer, cleared all cookies, cache, etc.. Then I opened Firefox, cleared the cookies/cache. Clicked back on IE and opened the Visa link, back to Firefox and opened the Amex link. Filled out both apps and clicked submit a few seconds apart. As I mentioned, immediate approval on Amex, step 3 "we'll let you know" on Visa. I'll let you know what happens . . .
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:26 pm

I received both the Visa and Amex yesterday. Activated today and confirmed the 1500 and 4000 requirements and mileage bonuses.

I never heard a peep from Amex after I applied, so I was a little nervous, but Visa did send me an email and then a letter saying I was approved prior to receiving the cards. I used Safari to apply, Visa first then Amex, and cleared cookies in between.

The 1500 won't be a problem to hit, but the 4000 is pushing it a little for me without the mint being an option any longer. I figure I'll just use Square for the 4000 and eat the 2.75% fee and think of it as paying $110 for 75,000 miles (roundtrip to Europe basically) (worth it)--unless some other free-spending miracle options pops up.

Square won't replace the mint for just churning up extra miles (the fee means its too costly for regular mileage earning), but as far as these sorts of situations (spending req's for bonus miles), it's probably worthwhile--especially for 75K.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:49 pm

Drats. Foiled again.

I've basically been able to take advantage of these 75,000 offers for my wife, but I just keep getting stonewalled.

I had both a citi personal and business (30k each bonus) that I opened early last year. I cancelled each around the end of the year. Since then, I've tried again for both the business and the personal, but have been told I they were first timers only. I've been patiently waiting for my last denial on the business card, and 90 days had gone by. Tried again today for the business card, and I got "pending review" yet again. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until I get the denial.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I sure am frustrated. We're up to 300k in bonuses for my wife in 18 months, but I'm stuck on 60k, and I'm the one close to million mile status. So frustrated.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Francis85
I received both the Visa and Amex yesterday. Activated today and confirmed the 1500 and 4000 requirements and mileage bonuses.

I never heard a peep from Amex after I applied, so I was a little nervous, but Visa did send me an email and then a letter saying I was approved prior to receiving the cards. I used Safari to apply, Visa first then Amex, and cleared cookies in between.

The 1500 won't be a problem to hit, but the 4000 is pushing it a little for me without the mint being an option any longer. I figure I'll just use Square for the 4000 and eat the 2.75% fee and think of it as paying $110 for 75,000 miles (roundtrip to Europe basically) (worth it)--unless some other free-spending miracle options pops up.

Square won't replace the mint for just churning up extra miles (the fee means its too costly for regular mileage earning), but as far as these sorts of situations (spending req's for bonus miles), it's probably worthwhile--especially for 75K.
Gift cards.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Drats. Foiled again.

I've basically been able to take advantage of these 75,000 offers for my wife, but I just keep getting stonewalled.

I had both a citi personal and business (30k each bonus) that I opened early last year. I cancelled each around the end of the year. Since then, I've tried again for both the business and the personal, but have been told I they were first timers only. I've been patiently waiting for my last denial on the business card, and 90 days had gone by. Tried again today for the business card, and I got "pending review" yet again. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until I get the denial.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I sure am frustrated. We're up to 300k in bonuses for my wife in 18 months, but I'm stuck on 60k, and I'm the one close to million mile status. So frustrated.
18+ months from last approval to be considered "new" again. Even if you applied in January last year, you are at only 17 months.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:39 pm

18+ months from last approval to be considered "new" again. Even if you applied in January last year, you are at only 17 months.
Right -- but I thought business could be applied for after 90 days.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Right -- but I thought business could be applied for after 90 days.
Maybe just take a break for a bit. You may be flagged as a churner.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:47 pm

I originally applied for a Citi Aadvantage card back in 2009 and just cancelled it last month, how long do you think I should wait before I can apply for these cards?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by logiteck
I originally applied for a Citi Aadvantage card back in 2009 and just cancelled it last month, how long do you think I should wait before I can apply for these cards?
C'MON MAN!! Read post #2.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by logiteck
You should be good to go since it is 18 months since last approval.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:40 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
Finally my wife's music llc comes in handy.

I received the congrats email today for the business card. I was stopped at step 3 for "further review", but I was able to go to step 4 and select if I wanted paperless statements or not. I thought that was a good sign. This helps to ease the pain of only applying for the amex for my wife and I last Nov. Thanks, FT and jcmitchell for keeping post 2 up to date.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by jldong
I applied business card last SUN, but now still pending, no email.

how long did you guys get feedback from citi, e.g. ask for more info, or get approved from pending status?

thanks a lot
Patience, Grasshopper, patience.....
I applied for the business Visa (as "Sole proprietor" with min. income) a week ago Saturday. Was told I will be notified by e mail. Today, 10 days later, the congratulatory e mail arrives (with 25K CL no less!). I was going to call tomorrow - glad I waited.
I am a recovering, non-repenting "recycler"
Thank you jcmitchell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.