Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k4rts
I have 2 credit cards in good standing for about a year now. I got both cards about 5-6 years ago. I checked my credit scores on June 1st and all three are in the 680's. I applied for the personal visa and was denied because of this:

Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report.

I called Citi and the lady said the same thing and told me to call experian to see if there is an error.

What does that mean and what can I do to fix it? Thanks!
See the bolded and underlined parts I highlighted above.

Does that mean you have late payments in the past? Since you have the cards for 5-6 years ago but only be in good standing for about a year...

Late payments even in several years ago would kill most chances for getting a good reward card.

The low scores seem to reflect you have some negative entries on your reports. If they are errors you can dispute them and have them removed. If they are facts there is not much you can do but stay in good standing status for more years and hope the time lapse would repair the damage done in the past.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I also got a $1k limit on my current business card and no real clear idea why. Maybe lack of business history?

SPG was FAR more generous with their business card and that application had the same data as the Citi. Maybe Citi just likes to make us work a little harder for the miles
Not lack of business history. I've been self employed for over 18 years & I have 1 ee & an EIN #. I'm sure they looked at all my CL on all my cards & figured I was in deep enough! CL/Income ratio maybe.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philemer
Cancelled previous CITI AA Business card 3/15/11. Applied yesterday (I know I could have applied sooner) from link on post #2 and was asked to call CITI. ... But, my CL is only $1000.
It seems as though Citi has become fairly random with credit line allocations these days. Discussing it with them seems to have no effect.

We've all decided not to worry about it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cu08senior
Just a note for those concerned with already having a Citi MC. I have an existing Citi MC that I use frequently, opened early 2009 (24+ months ago).

I was just approved for both the Citi Visa and Citi Amex.

Thanks all
Thanks for confirming once again that there is no need to close long existing AA card in order to get approved for new cards.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:07 pm

I applied and was approved for the Citi AA business card in Aug 2010. I cancelled the card last week. I applied for the Citi AA business card two days later and got the 'application received' message. I called today and was denied. They said you can only get it once.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You can use other banks credit cards as your reason to refute the "too few satisfactory credit references" without referring to the AA Visa.
That's a good idea! Thanks Happy for the suggestion.

It puzzled me that they approved the Visa, but not the Amex. I have high credit scores and have always paid my bills on time. There is nothing negative in my credit report.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by philemer
Not lack of business history. I've been self employed for over 18 years & I have 1 ee & an EIN #. I'm sure they looked at all my CL on all my cards & figured I was in deep enough! CL/Income ratio maybe.
I think they have given everyone that has gotten a Biz card a $1K limit. Most of my Am Ex Biz cards have $15-25K limits. I've been in Biz for about 4 years now, with 7 figure revenues, so I don't really think it has anything to do w/ length of Biz open, revenues, or anything. I complained that it's not a practical card for me to use for Biz expenses, and if there was only a $1K limit, it's worthless to me. They said "Sorry, try again in 60 days". I think I've said it before on here, I've used my Biz card, got my 75K miles, and it will stay in the sock drawer until I cancel it next March.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rtraveler
I applied and was approved for the Citi AA business card in Aug 2010. I cancelled the card last week. I applied for the Citi AA business card two days later and got the 'application received' message. I called today and was denied. They said you can only get it once.
Unless the rules have changed in the last cpl days, They're wrong.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in 500+ pages, but do balance transfers count towards the spend on either of the personal cards? Trying to hit that 4,000 mark...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in 500+ pages, but do balance transfers count towards the spend on either of the personal cards? Trying to hit that 4,000 mark...
No.

Only Purchase counts.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Well, weirdest thing, just got an e-mail approving me for the business card... my story:

- Applied for and received personal Amex/Visa in April, points cleared in May
- Applied for business Visa in late July as sole proprieter
- Got the "can't verify address" call/email in a couple days
- Sent in Gas/Electric (combined) and personal checking statements
- Another call and letter saying can't verify address... personal checking doesn't work. Perhaps incorrectly, I put my middle initial on my application, and some of my statements have it while some don't, so I don't know if that mattered.
- Sent in a combined Cell/TV/Internet statement
- A couple days later, got another call, e-mail, and just 2 days ago letter saying can't verify. I haven't called back because well I don't have anything else to show them, but I applied for a business checking hoping I could squeeze in a statement before they cancel my application. So basically I've ignored them for a week.
- Today I get an e-mail, congratulations I'm approved!

So maybe the moral of the story is to just wait a while if you are having trouble getting verified? I just do contracting/locums work on occasion and never really separated out business from personal.

Now I have a checking account opened which I realized too late that I will have to pay a fee on... will just cancel and hopefully get out of the fee.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 75K miles AA Amex came while I was traveling. So now I have to figure out how to spend $4000 in six months when I only have one ticket to Europe to buy -- my other trips are already paid, and I've got all my vacation time booked. I'll use the card for everything, but I don't think I will spend 3K on everyday expenses in six months. Maybe I should start drinking fine wines.

Citi sent me 3 non-airline/hotel CC offers while I was gone, too. How many of their cards do they want me to have?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by DavidAL
I think they have given everyone that has gotten a Biz card a $1K limit.
I got a $9K limit, Mrs User Name got a $1K limit. From memory, we both input similar data into our applications for a sole-proprietor business with low income trading for a short time.

The pain is that while I went for the 75K (got these miles a few months ago) but Mrs UN went for the 100K. Now the alloy recycling is over we still have $6K to go on hers - so the dliemna we face is whether to forge ahead for the extra 50K miles or whether to simply cancel and try our luck applying for a new 75K/$1.5K card...
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I think they have given everyone that has gotten a Biz card a $1K limit.
I got a 5k limit with no additional paperwork needed. I have no idea why I got it- I don't have a business beyond selling some stuff on eBay.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:23 am

So if you have the Visa or Amex already, can you apply for the other for another 75k?

What if I have a business card already, but have another business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.