Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by bar19900
Okay so i've had my 2 personal (amex & visa) cards for about 11 months now. After reading the original post again it looks like i can still get the business visa promotion (says to wait 65 days and apply). Is this correct? or will they reject me the 75k miles because i'm already enrolled in the aa program from the personal cards?

I'd love another 75k......I've found the other miles to be very useful.
If it looks like a duck ...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:24 pm

timing

Something I'm not clear on: is the 18 months suggestion supposed to count the time from your last application or from your last *successful* application?

I applied for (and received) the personal and business visa cards in 7/2010, and was denied the personal amex in 10/2010. [Jumped too quickly on the offers when they came out, before the optimal procedure had been worked out. Live and learn.] Cancelled the two cards in 5/2011. This is in fact the only time I've had the Citi AA cards.

With the above history, what timing would folks suggest? I'd like to apply again, and would be willing to try more than once. The question is, does an unsuccessful application reset the timer, or is it plausible that I could be denied in 9/2011 and then succeed in 1/2012?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:25 pm

Arrow Any expert here care to respond ?

Originally Posted by YaYa76
Just don't seem to have much luck with the applications - received the dreaded email with the rejection message: "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report"

I'm a post-grad student in London (UK) and am afraid I do not have much credit history back home in the US.
My bank is here locally in the UK, but I could easily move to Citi.

Is there anything I can do to have them reconsider the decision and if so, should it be by letter (there's a reference # in the message)?

TIA for a response!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Without the original offer page, I'm not sure how to find the AMEX's advantages before receiving the card. Perhaps someone can list or point those out here?
In addition to Costco, I've found it is sometimes easier to use AMEX in certain foreign locations. (If they see a Visa, they assume Chip-and-Pin, whereas with an AMEX they might skip straight to having you sign something without delay.) It's also good to have two cards, in case one is stolen/compromised and, of course, you'd like both to be AAdvantage cards.

Originally Posted by YaYa76
Just don't seem to have much luck with the applications - received the dreaded email with the rejection message: "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report"
Tough one to work thru... Perhaps if you wrote to the executive review dept and showed some evidence of UK credit as well, they might budge?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:21 pm

Those who have a Citi AA card may be interested in AAdvantage Facebook promo today -

AAdvantage
Want to be spontaneous and need a practical reason?

Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, register now to receive a $100 discount on a qualifying American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® fare of $250 or more*. Quantities are limited and are subject to availability.
*To see full terms and conditions and to register, visit http://bit.ly/aadvcitiecm
American Airlines Sweepstakes
sweeps.aa.com
Congratulations! Registration is now open. If you are an eligible Citi / AAdvantage credit cardmember, please register a valid AAdvantage number below to receive a one-time $100 flight discount on a future qualifying American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection fare. The $100 flight disco...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Those who have a Citi AA card may be interested in AAdvantage Facebook promo today
It excludes anyone who activated their card after 8/10/2011...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palefire
Something I'm not clear on: is the 18 months suggestion supposed to count the time from your last application or from your last *successful* application?

I applied for (and received) the personal and business visa cards in 7/2010, and was denied the personal amex in 10/2010. [Jumped too quickly on the offers when they came out, before the optimal procedure had been worked out. Live and learn.] Cancelled the two cards in 5/2011. This is in fact the only time I've had the Citi AA cards.

With the above history, what timing would folks suggest? I'd like to apply again, and would be willing to try more than once. The question is, does an unsuccessful application reset the timer, or is it plausible that I could be denied in 9/2011 and then succeed in 1/2012?
Last successful applications.

You would most likely get a denial if you try in 9/2011.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikensf74
Those who have a Citi AA card may be interested in AAdvantage Facebook promo today -

AAdvantage
Want to be spontaneous and need a practical reason?

Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, register now to receive a $100 discount on a qualifying American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® fare of $250 or more*. Quantities are limited and are subject to availability.
*To see full terms and conditions and to register, visit http://bit.ly/aadvcitiecm
American Airlines Sweepstakes
sweeps.aa.com
Congratulations! Registration is now open. If you are an eligible Citi / AAdvantage credit cardmember, please register a valid AAdvantage number below to receive a one-time $100 flight discount on a future qualifying American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection fare. The $100 flight disco...
I got the $100 discount, thinking to use it on my next trip to OSL, but when I checked prices, the AA fare was almost exactly $100 more than the DL fare. Since I have status with DL and not with AA, I guess I'll have to think of another way to use the discount.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Without the original offer page, I'm not sure how to find the AMEX's advantages before receiving the card. Perhaps someone can list or point those out here?
There is none.

Also why would you need the offer page? The offer has long expired in Feb 2011 - so how an offer page if it still exists, would do you any good?

The benefits are the SAME between Visa and AMEX - in fact Visa has a slightly better benefit in terms of rental car CDW coverage!

However these are still 2 different cards - so you can play the angle as some places may only accept one type - such as AMEX only (how about Costco?) and you really want to have both genres so you will always be able to put your purchase on an AA miles earning card.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Last successful applications.
Thanks.

You would most likely get a denial if you try in 9/2011.
Yes, that seems clear. The question is whether it's worth taking a run at it at a point where it's still possible that the bonus might post before AA changes their lifetime miles accrual rules. Presumably early 2012 is likely to be too late.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palefire
Yes, that seems clear. The question is whether it's worth taking a run at it at a point where it's still possible that the bonus might post before AA changes their lifetime miles accrual rules. Presumably early 2012 is likely to be too late.
Doesn't hurt to try and you may get lucky.

Bank Direct is also an option if you have extra money to park there.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:07 pm

My daughter applied for both visa and amex cards using two different browsers simultaneously. She was instantly approved for amex but pending on visa. Today she got a letter from Citi asking for form 4506-T which is info for tax return. Problem is that she is a student and did not file her own separate tax return. Does this mean the end of road for visa or there is any other way around.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Happy
The benefits are the SAME between Visa and AMEX - in fact Visa has a slightly better benefit in terms of rental car CDW coverage!
This is what I thought but today I looked at the new member booklets, side-by-side, and CDW looks the same. Seems as tho it's not the AMEX CDW but a Citibank-specific one, that is identical to the Visa, as far as I can tell. The only difference is that the Visa explicitly says the coverage is for maximum of 31 days but the AMEX omits that entirely. Figured it was mistakenly omitted.

Everything else, right down to the form to fill out for a claim, looks the same.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Quick question:

I have had Citi AA MC since 2007 and Citi AA Amex since 2008 (Both still open).

Any chance I can get the Citi AA Visa and still earn the 75K?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbdear
Quick question:

I have had Citi AA MC since 2007 and Citi AA Amex since 2008 (Both still open).

Any chance I can get the Citi AA Visa and still earn the 75K?

Thanks in advance.
quick response: read post #2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.