[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:56 pm

Business Card

My wife and I applied on June 22 for the Business cards, got deferred. Called on June 24, was told they needed verification of business in the form of two bills, bank statements, etc., with name of business and address. Faxed them on June 24, confirmed on June 28 that they received them. Got an email on June 30 that we had been approved.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Since I actually have an EIN # and was able to give that no other proof was asked for my business which is a real business and a sole proprietorship. I also have a banking relationship with Citibank and already have personal cards...so the approval was immediate without a request for further documentation. You could all get an EIN number from the IRS then you would be ready to actually have a consulting business.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:10 am

I am preparing for the business app and hoping to get some ideas.

I live in a condo and my utilities are all included. I have a personal citi bank account (have had for years) and was wondering if I should open a business account (it would be with a different bank that offers free checking). Unfortunately, I dont have a landline phone, car, utilities, or any other bills like that. Any ideas on what proof I could submit? Dont want to be left hanging if they want proof.

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:20 am

I have had a business for 37 years and don't have a business checking acct because a solo proprietor does not need a business checking acct. I have a segregated account. Apply for an EIN number with the IRS. I think when you put in your EIN number they won't ask for any other kind of proof.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:30 pm

Would applying for an EIN require me to report to the IRS every year?

I am hesitant to create a tax headache for myself just to get miles... though I do appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
I have had a business for 37 years and don't have a business checking acct because a solo proprietor does not need a business checking acct. I have a segregated account. Apply for an EIN number with the IRS. I think when you put in your EIN number they won't ask for any other kind of proof.
actually, not true. My wife applied for EIN hoping to get the deal under a business name and they still asked for the business license. I think it is worth the 20 bucks to "start" business to get 75K miles..
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesensor
I am preparing for the business app and hoping to get some ideas.

I live in a condo and my utilities are all included. I have a personal citi bank account (have had for years) and was wondering if I should open a business account (it would be with a different bank that offers free checking). Unfortunately, I dont have a landline phone, car, utilities, or any other bills like that. Any ideas on what proof I could submit? Dont want to be left hanging if they want proof.

Thanks.

I am hesitant to create a tax headache for myself just to get miles... though I do appreciate the advice.
Does your Condo Maintenance Fee Statement has itemize breakdown of the charges?

When we did my husband's app, the proof we sent in was his DBA business checking account statement with Chase and a Utility bill in my name, tie the 2 together with a JT Saving Account bank statement - all 3 docs have same address. Did not hear a thing further and card arrived in 7 days after docs were sent.

May be you can get a DBA business checking account and use your cell phone bill? I believe Citi wants to see at least 1 doc is business nature, but do not necessarily need all docs directly related to the business.

Having an EIN does not mean you need to file a tax return. Though I fully understand your concern and personally I would not create an EIN just for the miles.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:51 pm

No. I had to get one back in the early 1990s when we hired a nanny (and doing it all legally was a huge pain, but that's another story), but never had to file anything in the 15 years since we last employed her. So knock yourself out.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:19 pm

so just to add some current data, mom did the dual browser/simultaneous submit trick for the Personal Visa (1.5k) and Amex (4k) 75k links on the first page.

first issue was had to try about 3 times each to get the webpages to load. some others mentioned some recent problems, and all i can say is try, try again if you get an error the first time (or switch browsers).

second, mom had an old personal from about 18 months ago for the application date. she applied about a year ago for a personal and business and got dinged on the personal for not 1st time. tried a couple more times last year on personal, same reason. turns out, with all the churning, a personal card annual fee hit the mailbox in December-- thought that one was canceled, but guess not!

had not tried any point in 2011 until now, since figured was on the Citi blacklist and other offers better to waste credit hit on. turned out both cards were same hefty credit line, and apparently did the submit perfectly, as the application reference numbers were exactly one digit apart. it seems obvious, that the system didn't see both applications given the credit line parity.

so, one marker that it is possible to get a personal after about 18 months from application or about 6 months from cancel of a previous Citi Personal AA card.

one other note, don't know what they pulled, but have been extensive in last 6 months with applying for several cards, so sorta surprised Citi didn't ding on the "too many recent applications in credit profile" explanation they love so much. in fact, of the near dozen Citi AA cards the family as a whole has gotten, I think this may have been the only instant decision. maybe Citi is loosening up a bit, for those on the fence for going back in for another 75k card.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

I never had to pay to get my EIN and you don't have to do anything with the IRS. I use on medical claim forms instead of my SS because I am in healthcare. I had to get one for my father when we hired a caregiver so he became a household employer. No fees were asked for. So I am not sure why someone was asked to pay $20 to get an EIN number. You don't pay to get a social security number. It is just a thought. I am sure there are other ways to show you have a business.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:06 pm

I am not sure why someone was asked to pay $20 to get an EIN number.
I don't believe anyone suggested that. My understanding is that some posters are suggesting registering a business with the local authorities.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I don't believe anyone suggested that. My understanding is that some posters are suggesting registering a business with the local authorities.
That does cost you. In our town it costs you a couple hundreds with City Hall just to be able to rent your property out.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:15 pm

First of all it depends on the business. And, just getting an EIN number doesn't mean you actually have to register your business with your town. If you want to go that far you could find out what businesses do not require licenses. If you sold things on ebay, for example, or you had a consultation business. Not all kinds of businesses require licenses. So getting an EIN number is as far as you would have to go - you don't have to go ahead in any case, and actually set up a business.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all it depends on the business. And, just getting an EIN number doesn't mean you actually have to register your business with your town. If you want to go that far you could find out what businesses do not require licenses. If you sold things on ebay, for example, or you had a consultation business. Not all kinds of businesses require licenses. So getting an EIN number is as far as you would have to go - you don't have to go ahead in any case, and actually set up a business.
See Post 6756 that directly replied to your own post 6754 - that an EIN may not be sufficient in some applicants' cases. This is what people are discussed here, it is a YMMV scenario such that in some cases an EIN is not sufficient enough to satisfy what Citi wants as a proof.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:32 pm

Best Way to Handle Reconsideration

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on the following situation:

I got denied a month ago when I applied for the Visa Personal and the AmEx personal because of a collection on my Experian report that they pulled. I went back and had that taken care of.

When I called reconsideration, they told me to send a new, updated version of my Experian report without the collection on it.

To ensure that I get both cards and both bonuses, do I send them both together or separately. I don't want to only get one and have the other be denied for not being a first time account holder if they go through at different times but I also don't want to send them both at the same time and then realize I'm trying to get both.

Also, I had originally signed up when both were the 1,500 spend. Think that will change now that only AmEx 4,000 spend is working, or will my reconsideration be for the deal that I originally signed up for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.