[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by emblack
I applied for the Visa last week which I was approved for. I had cleared my cookies prior to applying and had not applied for the Amex. Upon calling to activate my card I was told I had to spend $4,000 on the Visa to get the 75,000 bonus miles. Not sure what I did wrong but wish I would have known as I would have rather gone with Amex if I was going to have to spend $4,000 rather than Citi Visa.
Which visa link did you apply with?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:22 am

Does Bill Central Count?

I have the Citi AAdvantage Mastercard. If I use their Bill Central system to pay bills, will I get miles?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emblack
I applied for the Visa last week which I was approved for. I had cleared my cookies prior to applying and had not applied for the Amex. Upon calling to activate my card I was told I had to spend $4,000 on the Visa to get the 75,000 bonus miles. Not sure what I did wrong but wish I would have known as I would have rather gone with Amex if I was going to have to spend $4,000 rather than Citi Visa.
The amex is a citi amex as well. Dont know what difference it would make other than the citi amex uses amex processing network.

It is NOT an amex issued by AMEX the original company / brand. You will NOT enjoy any of the true amex benefits from AMEX which does not even know your citi amex card exists if you get that one.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The amex is a citi amex as well. Dont know what difference it would make other than the citi amex uses amex processing network.

It is NOT an amex issued by AMEX the original company / brand. You will NOT enjoy any of the true amex benefits from AMEX which does not even know your citi amex card exists if you get that one.
The only thing the citi amex will get you is that little annoyance about the one place that you spend at every so often that takes everything, including discover and diners club, but not amex network cards.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinion
The only thing the citi amex will get you is that little annoyance about the one place that you spend at every so often that takes everything, including discover and diners club, but not amex network cards.
Exactly. And no ability to generate virtual account number.

That is why I fail to understand why the OP wants the citi amex...

I am continuously amazed by people think amex cards are all the same... may be that is one of the reasons why citi keeps the amex 4K alive but kills the 1.5K version - so those who want amex would fall for it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:41 am

I am continuously amazed by people think amex cards are all the same... may be that is one of the reasons why citi keeps the amex 4K alive but kills the 1.5K version - so those who want amex would fall for it.
Suppose its easy to think that though. And, since true amex cards are generally more difficult to get, and most require annual fees, I guess there is some appeal when the brand logo is on a card. I actually use true amex cards a lot, and try to whenever possible. Fraud detection and recourse has been spot on anytime I've had an issue. They do seem to be a bit touchy with large ticket items. I've purchased high dollar electronics with amex and on several instances received a call 5 minutes later asking if I actually bought something. I guess I'd rather have that than the alternative. International AMEX acceptance seem lacking in my experience. But, none of these cards are any good for international anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:44 am

OT a bit, but anyone know if any of these cards have rental car protection? I typically use AMEX premium protection that I pay for per rental period because it is primary and I come out way ahead for my typical rental usage. However, I'm always on the lookout for card that carry automatic primary rental coverage.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT a bit, but anyone know if any of these cards have rental car protection? I typically use AMEX premium protection that I pay for per rental period because it is primary and I come out way ahead for my typical rental usage. However, I'm always on the lookout for card that carry automatic primary rental coverage.
They do. Secondary domestically if you have your own car policy. If you dont, it becomes primary. Primary internationally.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Just approved for the citi business visa that comes with a $50 credit after an AA purchase, waived fee, and 50,000 miles after $2,000 spend in first 4 months and 5000 miles for every $7,500 spend in first 12 months (max 10,000). The problem is that it comes with a $1,000 credit limit. I was planning on purchasing three AA fares with an average of about $1500 each. Really sucks to have such a low limit and the CSRs have said there is a firm policy about no increases the first 6 months.

I've had many citicards in the past and have a high credit rating but never got such a low credit limit.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:08 pm

They do. Secondary domestically if you have your own car policy. If you dont, it becomes primary. Primary internationally.
Thanks, will verify, but sounds good to me for international.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Just approved for the citi business visa that comes with a $50 credit after an AA purchase, waived fee, and 50,000 miles after $2,000 spend in first 4 months and 5000 miles for every $7,500 spend in first 12 months (max 10,000). The problem is that it comes with a $1,000 credit limit. I was planning on purchasing three AA fares with an average of about $1500 each. Really sucks to have such a low limit and the CSRs have said there is a firm policy about no increases the first 6 months.

I've had many citicards in the past and have a high credit rating but never got such a low credit limit.
Seem pretty typical for business cards. In the past, business cards were always a crap shoot. Sometimes $500 limit, sometimes 25k+. Try a few different CSRs. Any reason you didn't get the 75k bonus cit business visa with $1500 spend in 6m? Seems like a much better deal.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:28 pm
Suspended

To nail down the 2 personals while you can? We've got pages and pages of posts telling people to get both personal cards at the same time.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
To nail down the 2 personals while you can? We've got pages and pages of posts telling people to get both personal cards at the same time.
But OP in reference applied for ONLY the visa, then said they wish they would have applied for ONLY the amex. OP only applied for one card.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:32 pm
Suspended

But OP in reference applied for ONLY the visa, then said they wish they would have applied for ONLY the amex. OP only applied for one card.
Ah, ok - I missed that.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Ah, ok - I missed that.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all
Yeah. AFAIK, there's no real reason NOT to apply for both on the same day. Even if you can't make the spend for both. I guess there is some minimal credit score impact, but I'd take my chances for the extra 75k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.