[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Julie17
Datapoint - Today I applied using the links in post #2 for the $1500 Visa and $4000 Amex for my husband. Background on my husband:

Opened first Citi AAdvantage Visa for 25000 mile bonus January 2010
Closed Citi AAdvantage Visa January 2011
Applied today - 18 months and 12 days after previous approval
Visa - Step 3 app needs further processing
Amex - Step 5 Approved!

I opened the apps in 2 different browsers and hit "Submit application" a few seconds apart. I actually hit "submit" on the Visa first, so kind of surprised the Amex was the one approved.
Update: Today Hubby received the dreaded rejection email for the Visa, stating "This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the card might come in the mail anyway, but the people who reported that seemed to have gotten the "multiple applications" reason rather than the "previous cardholder" reason.

I wonder why the Amex was approved if they still have him flagged as a previous cardholder? I submitted the Visa application just seconds BEFORE the Amex application. Did anyone else get this result?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:36 pm

I applied for both cards (visa and amex) a few weeks ago and did not get instant approval. I called them and they asked for an application ID. Unfortunately I did not print or save the application page and they told me to call a number in a couple of days because they could not do anything without the application ID. When I called the number the Rep told me that I would receive a letter/form requesting more information. I got two forms (one for each application) for me to authorize Citi to get a copy of my last tax return and it says they will run my credit again in order to process my application.
I have a 720+ credit score but I am not sure if I should continue on this. I got two inquires from Citi (1 for the Amex and 1 for the Visa) and now if I send these forms back it will be 2 more. Is it worth it? if so, should I try just one application or both? I have a citi aadvantage business for more than a year already.
Any help would be appreciated.
Henry
Old Jul 27, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: american
I've been a small biz owner 26 years. A bank loan officer told me a long time ago to never put self emplyed on a credit application if you can avoid it. Put 'manager' instead. It has worked every time for me.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Just approved for the citi business visa that comes with a $50 credit after an AA purchase, waived fee, and 50,000 miles after $2,000 spend in first 4 months and 5000 miles for every $7,500 spend in first 12 months (max 10,000). The problem is that it comes with a $1,000 credit limit. I was planning on purchasing three AA fares with an average of about $1500 each. Really sucks to have such a low limit and the CSRs have said there is a firm policy about no increases the first 6 months.

I've had many citicards in the past and have a high credit rating but never got such a low credit limit.

That's Citi for you.

Got the CitiBusiness 100,000 AAdvantage Mile offer in Feb, and they gave me a dismal $1,000 credit line. Since I needed to spend $10K to collect the second second 50,000 on that offer, it made me have to do a lot more micromanaging of my balance than I'd like. I'd typically issue payments as soon as they posted. You could pay off more than your balance, but, they still restrict you to your largest transaction to being your credit line, despite you having a negative balance (thus in this case largest single transaction is limited to $1000). I asked if they could just up my limit, sans credit inquiry -- no deal.

At any rate, 3.5 months later after collecting my entire sign on bonus, I canceled that card, and 4 days after that, reapplied for the CitiBusiness 75,000 AAdvantage mile offer, and was approved with a $15,000 credit line. Not sure what changed in the three and a half months that made 15X more credit worthy, especially considering I had applied for, and got approved on 5 additional credit cards with other financial institutions between that time, but, hey I've given up trying to figure out Citi's voodoo metrics when it comes to credit lines.

Originally Posted by hmaia
I applied for both cards (visa and amex) a few weeks ago and did not get instant approval. I called them and they asked for an application ID. Unfortunately I did not print or save the application page and they told me to call a number in a couple of days because they could not do anything without the application ID. When I called the number the Rep told me that I would receive a letter/form requesting more information. I got two forms (one for each application) for me to authorize Citi to get a copy of my last tax return and it says they will run my credit again in order to process my application.
I have a 720+ credit score but I am not sure if I should continue on this. I got two inquires from Citi (1 for the Amex and 1 for the Visa) and now if I send these forms back it will be 2 more. Is it worth it? if so, should I try just one application or both? I have a citi aadvantage business for more than a year already.
Any help would be appreciated.
Henry
Search this thread, and the credit card forum for "4506-T". You are not unique in having received this request.

In my humble opinion, it's not worth pursing. But, you're welcome to draw your own conclusions after you've done your research.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21

75k, Citi Visa EXPIRED, WORKING
As a cardmember, you’ll benefit from:
• 75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
[/B]
The personal link for $1500 doesn't work for me. Am I doing something wrong

Tried from multiple computers so not a cookies issue. Never had a Citi card before and good credit so approval shouldn't be a problem, if I can only get to the offer. Can't really use $4000 one as we're trying to do all our spending on a different card now for a different offer.

I'm sure this a dumb question, but are there any caveats to applying for a business card when you don't own a business, if the above link continues to not work? Do you just put in your own name for legal name of business and no tax id?

ETA - OK, this is weird. The personal link DOES work if I try the business link first then the personal without clearing cookies. But makes me nervous about if I'm getting the correct offer.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by msc75

Tried from multiple computers so not a cookies issue. Never had a Citi card before and good credit so approval shouldn't be a problem, if I can only get to the offer. Can't really use $4000 one as we're trying to do all our spending on a different card now for a different offer.

I'm sure this a dumb question, but are there any caveats to applying for a business card when you don't own a business, if the above link continues to not work? Do you just put in your own name for legal name of business and no tax id?

ETA - OK, this is weird. The personal link DOES work if I try the business link first then the personal without clearing cookies. But makes me nervous about if I'm getting the correct offer.
When you say "it doesn't work," what do you mean? What message are you getting? If you are not going to apply for the two personal cards at once, you may as well apply for the $1500 Visa and $1500 Business card at the same time.

If you apply for the Business card, put your name as the name of the business so that if you are required to prove the existence of the business you can send phone, bank, or utility statements that are in your name. Do not make up income that does not exist.

EDIT: I just clicked on the link you quoted and got the application, using Firefox. It says that it is the Visa Signature Card on top and does not mention Business card. Make sure you are not blokcing scripts or java, etc.

Last edited by IkeEsq; Jul 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by tulsarick
I've been a small biz owner 26 years. A bank loan officer told me a long time ago to never put self emplyed on a credit application if you can avoid it. Put 'manager' instead. It has worked every time for me.
Do you mean when applying business cards or personal cards as well?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by msc75

I tried, and it works
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:48 pm

when it comes to churning this card do you have to close the first one to apply after 18 months. i need the credit line for my credit score so dont want to cancel so was thinking of converting to fee free card so citi doesnt think i have an AA card when i reapply?

anybody in same situation? we all have ours from last yr so coming up on when we can reapply
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
When you say "it doesn't work," what do you mean? What message are you getting?
When I click on the link the first time, I get nothing but a blank page with two blue bars.

When I click on the business link I can see that fine. Close it down, click on the personal link, then I see an application for the Citi Platinum Select card.

Submitted that and it "requires further processing". Will keep fingers crossed it goes through and it is indeed for the right promo. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA 1M, Delta Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
I've applied and been approved for 3 new cards in the last 4 months. I thought my credit score would take a hit due to the inquiries and new accounts. However, my FICO score jumped 16 points instead due to the improved ratio of balance to available credit. Funny how that works.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by tzvika01
when it comes to churning this card do you have to close the first one to apply after 18 months. i need the credit line for my credit score so dont want to cancel so was thinking of converting to fee free card so citi doesnt think i have an AA card when i reapply?

anybody in same situation? we all have ours from last yr so coming up on when we can reapply
You do NOT have to close your current card. I was approved for a second Citi personal AA card with my old Citi personal AA card open and with my Citi business card open.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
You do NOT have to close your current card. I was approved for a second Citi personal AA card with my old Citi personal AA card open and with my Citi business card open.
how long did you wait till you open the 2nd card?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes, my credit score has gone up too. Using credit karma.com, it shows my score is now 13 points above where it was before I applied for the personal visa and Amex . Not sure I understand the metrics at work here but at least it did not drop. It must somehow improve your debt ratio.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Edwardvan
It must somehow improve your debt ratio.
If you charge $1000/month on credit cards, then:

$2000 in credit line -> 1000/2000 = 50% utilization
$4000 in credit line -> 1000/4000 = 25% utilization

Clear now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.