Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by irie
Hi all,

I am a big newbie to all of this and had a question that is probably very straightforward (but I somehow couldn't find the answer to by backtracking in this thread)

I currently have the Citi Visa Signature card (and have had it since last May). I've probably spent well over $10,000 using it but I want to cancel before I have to pay the $85 annual fee.

My question is--if I already hold this card, can I still get the miles bonuses if I apply for the AMEX or the Business cards? On the promotion it says this offer is only for "first time Citi/AAdvantage members"

Thanks! I love this forum!
See post 4843, two above yours.
You're right, it's a great forum. Welcome.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:06 pm

Reconsideration on Citi Personal Card

Anyone have any experience getting a reconsideration for denial b/c of previously getting offer?

First, I've had lots of Citi Aadvantage personal cards over the last few years. However, now I only have a Citi Aadvantage Amex. I've also recently passed 1mm with Aadvantage. My strategy for the reconsideration letter was going to be telling Citi that the reason I canceled by Citi Aadvantage cards before was b/c of the 100k mile per year cap (I hit this limit in both '09 and '10), but now I'm gold the mileage cap isn't an issue, and I would like to have a Citi Aadvantage Visa b/c Amex isn't taken everywhere.

Thoughts on this strategy?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
Received the 75000 bonus miles from the Visa card with a $1500 spend. Now it's on to tackle the Amex with the $4,000 requirement.

I'm scared when I cancel these, it's going to hurt my chances of churning, but I dont want to have 3 Citicards with 3 $85/year charges.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
See post 4843, two above yours.
You're right, it's a great forum. Welcome.

Thanks,

If I cancel my current card, will I be able to take advantage of offers like these again in the future? Or am I permanently out of luck?

I guess my question is--is there a span of time (say, 4-6 months) after which I would again be considered a "first time" user?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thanks,

If I cancel my current card, will I be able to take advantage of offers like these again in the future? Or am I permanently out of luck?

I guess my question is--is there a span of time (say, 4-6 months) after which I would again be considered a "first time" user?
Any new AA promos?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Thanks,

Oh boy. This has been discussed for years and the answer is: Nobody knows. In this climate I would say wait till you're due to renew and than cancel. Than wait about six months and try again. Obviously, wait for a very good offer (75K is great.)
I can't say it loud enough, YMMV!!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Re: Reconsideration on Citi Personal Card

Originally Posted by juggler451
Anyone have any experience getting a reconsideration for denial b/c of previously getting offer?
IMHO, your reasoning may be solid but it doesn't make a iota of difference for citi. If you are denied for previously getting offer, you can do nothing except try at a later time. I will like to hear from anybody who had a different experience.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: IHG, Choice Hotels, Hyatt -Plat, Hilton, Carlson - Gold, BWR - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Hi juggler, you can write to the Citi Executive Services Office like I did when I was denied this card. They approved it. Here is the address:

CitiBank Executive Review Department
P.O. Box 6000
Sioux Falls, SD 57117

Explain to them and hopefully they will take care of you. I received a call 3 weeks after I mailed the letter. Got my card 2 weeks later and the 75,000 miles to boot. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 pm

malkounis you didn't have to do the required spending? Must have been some letter.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:10 pm

Follow up

Originally Posted by bjpack
Applied yesterday for the 75k personal and business cards for both myself and my wife using the links. Waiting to hear back. We're traveling in mid-April and I'm realizing that we probably won't have our points by then since I doubt we'll get our cards and be through one billing cycle in that timeframe. Either way, it would be great if we are approved as I guess we'll just have to travel again.
As a follow up to my original post (quoted above from 3/4) and some subsequent posts, my personal Visa account closed a couple of days ago and the 75K points posted. My wife had gotten a personal and business Visa and they both close in about 10 days and we'll get the additional 150K at that point. We look forward to using our points for our upcoming Disney vacation!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bjpack
My wife was just approved for a the business card with the 75k/1500 giving us three cards and, I presume 225K miles once we spend the 1500 per card. Very cool.
Were you wife requested additional document to proof the business or just approved.

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by rajj
jcmitchell21: Despite your second post being very clear, it seems many people are just not getting it. Perhaps you can add the following to the very top of your post:

the best way to utilize this offer is to first apply for two personal cards simultaneously, and then apply for a business card 90 days later. If you only apply for one personal card, or a personal and a business, you will no longer be able to get the other personal card!

maybe that will stop all the screwups.
+1000000000
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by opus2002
+1000000000
I followed the above procedure and was instantly approved for the Amex but the Visa was put on pending. i received a letter from Citi asking for the tax return authorization. I filled it out and submitted it to Citi but have not heard back from then since on whether the card was approved. Do you guys think I should call and find out what happened or do they automatically review the tax return and then approve the visa card?
Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by rajj
The best way to utilize this offer is to first apply for two personal cards simultaneously, and then apply for a business card 90 days later.
And here's hoping the current offer will still be around 90 days from now! ^
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by raghu455
I followed the above procedure and was instantly approved for the Amex but the Visa was put on pending. i received a letter from Citi asking for the tax return authorization. I filled it out and submitted it to Citi but have not heard back from then since on whether the card was approved. Do you guys think I should call and find out what happened or do they automatically review the tax return and then approve the visa card?
Thanks
The only thing I'd suggest is calling the ap status hotline and talking to a frontline supervisor to make sure they received it. After that, it can easily take 3 weeks or longer, especially since the IRS is busy. From my experience, even if you send it in immediately after receiving, they still end up pulling another credit report since they get the records back 30+ days from date of original application. However, it would be rare to see you turned down if they asked for the IRS records (unless you had conflicting info on your ap).

Here's what you DON'T DO! You don't check the status by giving your SSN, since you also had another ap, which might get attention. Always use the reference number from your letter if you feel compelled to check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.