Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by shbl
Thank Thebat I finally found the front page of the 75K offer. And went ahead applied for an AX card and was approved online.

But interestingly, when I tried to save the front page (Titled "citi: change your scenary by changing your card"), I found that I cannot print the upper most part which says the 75K offer and $4000 spending and 6 months. When I saved the page and reopened, it again left the upper part blank.

In the lower part is the generic T&C, and does not mention the offer.
Take a screen shot (it's a picture of exactly what you see) instead of saving. On my keyboard, that requires me to press ctrl and the button marked "prt scrn" which is next to the F12 button. I then have to paste it into a photo editor to save.

Last edited by AsiaTraveler; Mar 26, 2011 at 8:28 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Originally Posted by belleNY
Problem now with the miles...Mr. B applied for the 100K visa, received in Oct and got the first 50,000 miles for 750 spend with no issue. Spent the 10,000 and only got 25,000 applied. Wrote CS at citi, and now they say the next 25,000 is awarded in the second year...but that was not the offer...sent them a copy of offer terms, waiting to hear back again...did not plan to keep the card till the second year...
citi responded that they did not think Mr B was targeted for the 50/50offer...and want a copy of the offer to him...so I guess we'll just be happy with what we've got..and think about keeping the card to get the next 25,000 or not...no rush to cancel till the year is up anyway. YMMV
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: All, but no status!
You should also be able to tick the box for "print background images" on your print dialog box to get the whole page to print -- making important things a "background image" is a common sneaky practice. The problem with taking screen shots is that you only get what shows on the screen at the moment, not the complete document.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belleNY
citi responded that they did not think Mr B was targeted for the 50/50offer...and want a copy of the offer to him...so I guess we'll just be happy with what we've got..and think about keeping the card to get the next 25,000 or not...no rush to cancel till the year is up anyway. YMMV
He may have accidentally used the link for the offer he has now as they were concurrently running. The "correct" offer does not ever have a front page available publicly. The "incorrect" offer did, at least at the time.

May be he just picked the wrong offer to apply.

Citi's application links are coded quite specifically. Majority of the time the miles posted correctly as what you applied for.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyPesos, SWA RR, OnePass, Anyone else who lets me fly free!
Ratios and Credit Scores

Originally Posted by S3eker
I think I was mostly concerned about having too much credit against my report. I normally use credit cards as charge cards and pay off the balances at the end of the month, but doesn't your score take a hit if based on your credit limits? I have no cc debt but the credit scoring has always been a mystery to me.

Thanks
S3eker,

I had to stop lurking to help with this one...

I was a mortgage broker in a former life and sat on the NAMB Credit Scoring Committee.

Unless you have a TON of credit cards already, your credit score will only improve with more available credit. Credit scores look at 2 ratios, the balance to available credit on each card and your total balance to total available credit. When you add a new card, you now have a card that has 0% utilization, and your overall ratio goes down. When you cancel the card, you lose a 0% account and your total ratio goes up.

If you truly have too much available credit, it will show up as a reason when you get a credit report from a lender. You can always kill the account then if needed and ask your lender for a rapid rescore (new score in 5-10 bus days, cost around $50 per bureau).

Oh...and mad props to all these FT peeps and their awesome finds. Pulling the trigger on the 75K/$1500 today. Here's hoping!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyPesos, SWA RR, OnePass, Anyone else who lets me fly free!
75K/$1500 Update

Just applied for a personal and business Visa with the 75K/$1500 links in post #2. I got the "Your application needs further verification" message for the personal, called the provided number and got approved over the phone. CSR confirmed that I got the 75K/$1500 offer, that I would have a card in one week, and that bonus miles would post on the statement after I met the spend reqs. BTW, he was super friendly and helpful on the phone, no mention of expired offer or anything.

I asked the CSR if I could apply for the business card while I was there. He said he couldn't create new applications, so I immediately applied online again. I got a message that my application was in process and I would receive a response in the mail in 30 days. I called the same 800 number again, and was told that they couldn't help me, but I could call 888-201-4523 M-F 8-8 EST to get an update on my application.

Then I had my wife fill out the personal application. She got the same "Your application needs further verification" message and phone number I did, but when she called, she was told that they had done everything they could today, and that "another department" would have to finish the rest of the application. She was also given 888-201-4523 to check her status tomorrow. I think the difference with her is that she is an existing Citi cardholder, while I am just an Authorized User on her cards.

I held off on the business card for her until I know what is going on with mine. If mine doesn't work, I will have her do the AMEX 75K/$4000.

If you're wondering why I didn't do the 2 personal + 1 business for each of us, we need the miles for this August. Waiting 90 days plus statement wouldn't help for that trip.

So, 1 for 3 so far. I'll post an update on the other apps when I get one.

In the words of Mark Twain: Reports of the death of 75K/$1500 have been greatly exaggerated!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by robertwa
If you're wondering why I didn't do the 2 personal + 1 business for each of us, we need the miles for this August. Waiting 90 days plus statement wouldn't help for that trip.
This doesn't really make much sense. There are a total of 3 available cards. If you did 2 x personal now, you would get the same 150k miles as with personal + business. Plus you would have the future option of still getting the biz card for a possible total of 225k miles per person. By getting personal + business, you have eliminated the future option and have capped your possible mileage at 150k per person.

I don't get it.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just applied for a personal and business Visa with the 75K/$1500 links in post #2. I got the "Your application needs further verification" message for the personal, called the provided number and got approved over the phone. CSR confirmed that I got the 75K/$1500 offer, that I would have a card in one week, and that bonus miles would post on the statement after I met the spend reqs. BTW, he was super friendly and helpful on the phone, no mention of expired offer or anything.

I asked the CSR if I could apply for the business card while I was there. He said he couldn't create new applications, so I immediately applied online again. I got a message that my application was in process and I would receive a response in the mail in 30 days. I called the same 800 number again, and was told that they couldn't help me, but I could call 888-201-4523 M-F 8-8 EST to get an update on my application.

Then I had my wife fill out the personal application. She got the same "Your application needs further verification" message and phone number I did, but when she called, she was told that they had done everything they could today, and that "another department" would have to finish the rest of the application. She was also given 888-201-4523 to check her status tomorrow. I think the difference with her is that she is an existing Citi cardholder, while I am just an Authorized User on her cards.

I held off on the business card for her until I know what is going on with mine. If mine doesn't work, I will have her do the AMEX 75K/$4000.

In the words of Mark Twain: Reports of the death of 75K/$1500 have been greatly exaggerated!
There are 2 versions of Personal Card. You can easily submit 2 personal card app simultaneously - using 2 different browsers and submit them within minute. The outcome most likely the same.

Then you can do the biz card when enough time has passed.

Now you kill the opportunity of 2nd personal card for the next 12 to 18 months.

If your wife's existing Citi card is NOT an AA card, it would not preclude her on the First Time Customer Only Clause.

If she does not have AA card, most likely your wife's application issue is using the SAME IP address to submit several applications - that in the past has been known to trigger Fraud Alert. (Happened to me in 2009 and Fraud Dept actually called to ask if 4 applications were coming from us.)

However if your wife's existing card is AA card then you should have known the answer already.

Depends on where you plan to go in August. You may not get to use your miles after all. Award seats are not like going to buy a ticket - they are capacity-controlled.

You may want to read a few pages in AA forum about the recent discussion on what is going on in the AA award seat availability before you get all psyched up.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:13 am

Just wanted to share my experience.

My husband and I applied both Personal (Visa and Amex) at the same day on the same computer within 5 hours. We both never have AA Citicards.

My husband got instant approved online with both cards (He does not has CITI card, and using my authorized card over the past 5 years).

I got both approved, but I needed to make the phone call, but after spoke with the CSR and no question asked and told me to wait for 5 min, and instantly approved over the phone. I needed to call twice - one for Visa and one for Amex.
(Again, I have a citi diamond card for over 5 years)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Your response on credit utilization is different than explained to me by a credit expert.

Utilization is the ration of: avg balance/credit limit.

If you have a No Pre Set Spending VISA/AMEX then no credit limit is reported to the credit bureaus. Citi has NPSL VISA/AMEX.

Now the credit limit will default to the the highest amount charged. Thus you are automatically at 100% utilization at bthe first billing statement period as the avg balance will equal the highest amount charged in first month. High utilization hurts the FICO score.

S3eker,

I was a mortgage broker in a former life and sat on the NAMB Credit Scoring Committee.

Unless you have a TON of credit cards already, your credit score will only improve with more available credit. Credit scores look at 2 ratios, the balance to available credit on each card and your total balance to total available credit. When you add a new card, you now have a card that has 0% utilization, and your overall ratio goes down. When you cancel the card, you lose a 0% account and your total ratio goes up.

If you truly have too much available credit, it will show up as a reason when you get a credit report from a lender. You can always kill the account then if needed and ask your lender for a rapid rescore (new score in 5-10 bus days, cost around $50 per bureau).

Oh...and mad props to all these FT peeps and their awesome finds. Pulling the trigger on the 75K/$1500 today. Here's hoping!

Last edited by euromannn; Mar 28, 2011 at 7:35 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
1. Did you confirm your online business application was still eligible for 75k/$1500? It is not on the offer page.

2. 800 phone number states that the 75k/$1500 is no longer available.

Are you sure you still got this offer as of March 26?

Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by euromannn
1. Did you confirm your online business application was still eligible for 75k/$1500? It is not on the offer page.

2. 800 phone number states that the 75k/$1500 is no longer available.

Are you sure you still got this offer as of March 26?
His post clearly says the CSR confirmed 75k/$1500. I'd say he's sure.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
S3eker,

Can I ask you.... say I have 250,000 mortgage balance still left to pay. And say I was able to pay it off, to zero. Is this better for my credit? Or worse? I heard its actually worse not to show stability and pay off a loan over time. Please elaborate, because I am contemplating this due to savings interest rates being so far below 5% mortgage interest rate Im paying.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: No preference
Updating post #2 to reflect phone # is no longer working.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by euromannn
Your response on credit utilization is different than explained to me by a credit expert.

Utilization is the ration of: avg balance/credit limit.

If you have a No Pre Set Spending VISA/AMEX then no credit limit is reported to the credit bureaus. Citi has NPSL VISA/AMEX.

Now the credit limit will default to the the highest amount charged. Thus you are automatically at 100% utilization at bthe first billing statement period as the avg balance will equal the highest amount charged in first month. High utilization hurts the FICO score.
Overall Utilization is the sum of your balances divided by the sum of your credit lines. Individual account utilization is the account balance divided by the credit line. It is never the average balance of the individual or aggregate.

Pertinent to this thread I just pulled my latest tri-bureau report from IdenttityMonitor and noted that Citi has begun reporting credit lines on no pre-set limit (NPSL) accounts. This is a change for Citi's bureau reporting.

IdentityMonitor has a little subsection where they show exactly what is used in the utilization calculation. About half of my Citi NPSL cards now show a real credit line and not the highest billed balance (HBB) that you referred to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.