Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Tinder Plus
Smile

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Segment 1 C2-C3
Stop-over

Segment 2-C3-C1
Stop-over

Segment 3 C1-C1.5
Stop-over

Segment 4 C1.5-C4(south of equator)

195.96 Euros All-in .

Safe construction. 4 Segments. No throw-away 5X.

Famous Beach resort can be included
IMHO more information is needed. It is not easy to find one segment and you are throwing 4 random segments. It seems to me like you are struggling to find the right balance you're either make it too easy or literally impossible.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
Originally Posted by bartas8891
IMHO more information is needed. It is not easy to find one segment and you are throwing 4 random segments. It seems to me like you are struggling to find the right balance you're either make it too easy or literally impossible.

try to find the 1st and 2nd segment.
All others come step by step.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:49 am

found it thanks @Silberpanda for the hint

Last edited by bartas8891; Mar 26, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by bartas8891
3rd and 4th leg operated by the same carrier ?
No. Wouldn't be possible due to cabotage
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by davem4
Cabotage would mean that C1 and C4 would be in the same country, but I'm not aware of such countries...
I'm still looking on any carriers who would allow Pacific or Trans-Siberian routing from C2 to C1 via C3 on direct flights, but so far only KE passes, although with a much higher fare.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:15 am

keep looking and you will find it. It is the same carrier on the last two legs !
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
Cabotage would mean that C1 and C4 would be in the same country, but I'm not aware of such countries...
I'm still looking on any carriers who would allow Pacific or Trans-Siberian routing from C2 to C1 via C3 on direct flights, but so far only KE passes, although with a much higher fare.
Right ... sorry was distracted.

No, it isn't cabotage as that is within country, sorry about that I wasn't thinking right.

But I am not aware of any airline that operates all the above routes. The C1-C1.5 throws it out, as this would have to be a US or Mexican carrier and I am not aware of any of them doing a C2-C3 route.

The most well known routes where you wouldn't traditionally think one of the airlines typically operate
Air New Zealand
Has C2-C1 (LHR-LAX)

SQ / Etihad / Emirates
All have C2-C1 (various)

But i'm not sure of any airline that would have C2-C3 + C1-C1.5
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:43 am

Right ... sorry was distracted.

No, it isn't cabotage as that is within country, sorry about that I wasn't thinking right.

But I am not aware of any airline that operates all the above routes. The C1-C1.5 throws it out, as this would have to be a US or Mexican carrier and I am not aware of any of them doing a C2-C3 route.

The most well known routes where you wouldn't traditionally think one of the airlines typically operate
Air New Zealand
Has C2-C1 (LHR-LAX)

SQ / Etihad / Emirates
All have C2-C1 (various)

But i'm not sure of any airline that would have C2-C3 + C1-C1.5
Don't think it should be a single carrier all the way. I found UA posting interesting C2-C4 fares, however C3 is nowhere in sight in that routing.
If we are to follow the tip, we have to first find anything fitting C2-C3-C1, which so far I could only manage to do with KE on a single fare which is way above the mentioned end price. (QR/EK/EY/SV are of course to not qualify since it would be mentioned as C2.5, not C3). KE also doesn't route any further. Some other carriers allow C3 connections using multiple fare components, but these normally go above 3000 EUR in total (as they require end-on-end to be connected to each other).
I've checked 406 routes so far (the fact that every journey leg is a direct segment helps a lot) using the most major hubs in C2 and C3. Will start digging into smaller airports now, hopefully will find it!
PM me if you want to join forces.

UPD: Since we need a direct C1.5-C4 flight, this also limits the options drastically as there are almost no such flights. So I think as soon as we find the first two, we will be good to go.

Last edited by dimitriyremerov; Mar 26, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:15 pm

I'm following the tip of finding the first two segments first.

This map of all (did I miss anything?) direct flights from C3 to C1 will help others who tries to crack this riddle

Code:
C3-C1 direct:
SIN: SEA, SFO, LAX, EWR, IAH
HKG: YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, YYZ, IAD, BOS, EWR, JFK
NRT: YVR, YYC, SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, DEN, DFW, IAH, MEX, ORD, ATL, DTW, IAD, JFK, EWR, BOS, YUL
PEK: YVR, SEA, YYC, LAS, SFO, SJC, LAX, TIJ, ORD, DTW, YYZ, IAD, YUL, JFK, EWR, BOS
PVG: YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, ATL, DTW, YYZ, JFK, EWR, YUL, BOS
ICN: YVR, SEA, LAS, SFO, LAX, DFW, MSP, ORD, ATL, DTW, YYZ, IAD, JFK, BOS
DEL: YVR, SFO, ORD, YYZ, IAD, EWR, JFK
BOM: YYZ, EWR, JFK
TPE: YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, ONT, IAH, ORD, YYZ, JFK
MNL: YVR, SFO, LAX, YYZ, JFK

No direct flights:

HAN
DPS
CGK
ALA
TSE
KUL
BKK

Here's my log:
via SIN to SEA: no routing found
via SIN to SFO, LAX, EWR, JFK, IAH: expensive EOE fares (SQ)
via HKG to YVR, YYZ: expensive EOE fares (CX/AC/EU carriers.)
via HKG to SEA, SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, IAD, BOS, EWR, JFK: expensive EOE fares (CX/EU carriers)
via TYO to YVR, YYZ, YUL: expensive EOE fares (AC/SU/NH/EU carriers), expensive PA-routing JL fares (MOW-YVR)
via TYO to SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, LAX, SAN, DEN, DFW, IAH, MEX, ORD, ATL, DTW, IAD, JFK, EWR, BOS: expensive EOE fares (DL/SQ/SU/S7/EU carriers)
via PEK to YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL: expensive EOE fares (CA/AC/HU/EU carriers)
via PEK to SEA, LAS, SFO, SJC, LAX, TIJ, ORD, DTW, IAD, YUL, JFK, EWR, BOS: expensive EOE fares (VS/DL/MU/EU carriers)
via PVG to YVR, YYZ, YUL: expensive EOE fares (VS/MU/CA)
via PVG to SEA, SFO, LAX, DFW, ORD, ATL, DTW, JFK, EWR, BOS: expensive EOE fares(MU/CA/DL)
via ICN to YVR: expensive EOE fares (OZ/KE), expensive PA-routing KE fares (origin MOW, LED)
via ICN to YYZ: expensive EOE fares (OZ/KE)
via ICN to SEA, LAS, SFO, LAX: expensive EOE fares (OZ/KE), expensive PA-routing KE fares (origin MOW, LED)
via ICN to DFW, MSP, ORD, ATL, DTW, IAD, JFK, BOS: expensive EOE fares (KE/AA/DL)
via DEL to YVR, YYZ: expensive EOE fares (AC/SU/AI/EU carriers)
via DEL to SFO, ORD, IAD, EWR, JFK (AI/VS/UA/EU carriers)
via BOM to YYZ: no routing found
via BOM to EWR, JFK: expensive EOE fares (UA/AI/EU carries)
via TPE to YVR, YYZ: expensive EOE fares (CI/BR/AC)
via TPE to SEA, SFO, LAX, ONT, IAH, ORD, JFK: expensive EOE fares (CI/BR)
via MNL to YVR, YYZ: expensive EOE fares (PR)
via MNL to SFO, LAX, JFK: expensive EOE fares (PR)

Each of the above combinations was checked using LON, DUB, AMS, PAR, BRU, FRA, BER, VIE, MAD, LIS, BCN, ROM, OSL, CPH, IST, MOW, LED, KBP as origin points. So far no luck.

I'm using the following input data (with reference to the original conditions):
1. This is a construction, so a single ticket ("Safe construction"). Separate tickets would not qualify.
2. All flights are direct, but not necessarily non-stop ("4 segments")—this means fuel stops are allowed (e.g. SQ52 SIN-MAN-IAH is valid), but connections are not (since each leg is a segment).
3. TLV, DOH, DXB, AUH are out of the question (terminology C1.5 used thus these would be C2.5, not C3).
I tried to interpret these as precise as I could, still maybe I got one of these wrong?

I have also tried to use different C3 cities to arrive and depart from (e.g. arrive in PEK, depart from TYO), but I got no luck at a few few tries and the amount of possible combinations given the number of C2 airports to check is so significant it's not reasonable to check all of these. Still, should I maybe dig in this direction? Or maybe I simply missed a C3 (or C2) airport?

I already asked people who figured this out in PM for help but no replies so far (as usual). Can anyone please make an exception and help me in PM on what I'm doing wrong? I've spent a full day today (in vacation) not leaving the hotel trying to crack this one. Would really appreciate it.
ondraondra, mendozer and Kawsako like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
No cabotage at all.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:08 am

BUD-KUL 3x?

did anyone find a working 3x for QR, CA or EK return flights BUD-KUL in september? pls PM. or anyone who professional in FD and could teach me?

Last edited by iandras; Apr 2, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
C2e - C1.5 for 195 Euro
Hint: *A and 0,5 USD BF
karlot_96 and KarvinskaSila like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:00 pm

C2-C1bigfruit for 118 EUR
Hint: Super cheap base fare. The force may be with you.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rayamaki
C2-C1bigfruit for 118 EUR
Hint: Super cheap base fare. The force may be with you.
any chance at a 2nd hint pls?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
It is always the same dump.
Take a look back to the last 10-20 pages.
Always the same dump, only different city pairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.