Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

C1-C5, $391 RT with 3X

I've been looking at C5 locations; I haven't seen this one mentioned much. Flight can be booked on the carrier's website. I'm curious if the same approach for this carrier would work for other continents.
Flyinghobby likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by mendozer
I've been looking at C5 locations; I haven't seen this one mentioned much. Flight can be booked on the carrier's website. I'm curious if the same approach for this carrier would work for other continents.
Oh, it has been referred to many many times. Answer to your question is Yes.
mendozer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: cine
C1-C3 NonStop USD140
tessy143 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by fuyao
LX has some sort of automatic system that checks all reservations 24h before departure for missing YQ and flag it then, so you can't OLCI. At the airport they request payment of missing $$$ or deny boarding, but do offer free refunds then for the tickets (if issued on LX stock)
I'm doing surf in Florianopolis.....
andydd and wley like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:24 pm

Hey guy! Can't believe its been almost 4 years since I tried learning FD but when I stumbled on this forum I was in a hurry thinking I can learn in a week or so and then book my upcoming trip. Obviously that failed miserably then life happened, and now I'm planning to start over and learn with no upcoming travel to stress me over finding a deal. I see a lot of the same users so hello to all and hopefully this time around I can learn and more importantly contribute better.

P.S. I will be active in MS threads too as that is something I've also been doing lately.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:14 pm

C3-C1

C3-C1 OW 71€
C3-C1 RT (DOJ) 86€

no 1x

btw: what about those 1€ fares on direct flights C2-C4, dumpable to sub 150€ without 1x?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA Exec Plat Pro, Accor Silver, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, PP
C2c-C1W, 144 Euro RT
Hint: 0,50€ Fare
mendozer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:34 pm

C1-C4b for $401 RT

Pretty good price for my area of C1.

On a different subject: if anyone wants to chat, I have a particular question around side trips and code sharing. I can lower the price of a particular flight, but I don't totally understand why.

Last edited by mendozer; Feb 11, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: Edited at the suggestion of other members
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by mendozer
Pretty good price for my area of C1.

On a different subject: if anyone wants to chat, I have a particular question around side trips and code sharing. I was able to price a ticket between two carriers that don't seem to have a code sharing agreement. Fare rules state that side trips are permitted, and this seems to dump the YQ. However, I thought this wasn't possible unless the carriers had a code sharing agreement. Anyway, I can lower the price of the flight, but I don't totally understand why.
codesharing =/= interlining
mendozer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
C2-WLG 338 EUR rt. (mostly) on A380
possible on a 787 for 387€
mendozer and smallfeet like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:36 pm

Priceline/OTA/MultiCity trick question. Expensive "Round Trip" configured as Multi City instead since the last leg is on another day. Imagine H to I then return from I to J a week later on Delta, then on to H from J the next morning on a partner airline KLM. Effectively a round trip, but crossing days. This morning I had I got a decent price on PriceLine, but lost it after inactivity, preferring to look around and try to book direct with the airlines. No luck there, and the middle I to J segment (which I "know: is nearly empty from ExpertFlyer seat maps) became unavailable on Priceline. Just now I found the same itinerary/price, but got the Whoops, airline availability is constantly changing.We're no longer able to confirm availability of this flight, but we'll give you other options.... yeah right. Bait and switch. I can bring up the same fare on Google Flights, but as soon as I click on the last J to H segment, which is only an hour after landing from I to J, it bumps me up from basic economy to economy, charging a couple hundred more. Then when I click through to the airline K site, it reprices to nearly double the fare. So it seems ITA Matrix, Google Flights, and Priceline can get me from H to I and back a week later in basic economy, then on from H to J soon after arriving on an overnight flight, in regular economy on Airline K. But none of these is actually bookable! Any ideas on how to book this? It is 75-82/3 days out cross Atlantic. Thanks!!

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:42 pm Reason: Airports mixed up.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: M&M, EC BA
C2-Canada 183 EUR RT
No 1x

Last edited by ivan85; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:58 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by e30st
C2-WLG 338 EUR rt. (mostly) on A380
possible on a 787 for 387€
what is wlg?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by redinapoli
what is wlg?
Wellington?
e30st likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:24 pm

Hi, I'm new to this so please be easy on me. Do I understand correctly that I am NOT supposed to encode my questions? In the wiki it says: "5. Do not code your questions. No one will be able to answer them." I hope by asking, I am not giving away too much information.

I found a pretty good fare: FRA-ZRH-YUL-YYZ-HAV/HAV-YYZ-ZRH-FRA (+additional segments) in C2 summer and back in C2 winter. The fare rules are pretty lenient: EOE OK (domestic), ST OK, OJ OK. Fat > 50%. When I use the OJ option, YQ goes up. There are some Xs that ever so slightly reduce the fat but nothing comes close to getting rid of it. Any hints?

Last edited by smallfeet; Feb 16, 2019 at 7:02 pm Reason: Airport syntax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.