Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:07 pm

Checked Luggage with 3X

Hi Everyone! I've been following with thread for a while and this is my first time posting. I've gone through and read all the posts about checking luggage on FDs, but have a question about a specific scenario.

I booked my first FD for later this year -
1st C1 -> C5
2nd C5 -> C1
3X [removed by Moderator per Trick It Rules of Posting see Wiki for link]

If I check a bag for the first leg, will I be able to retrieve it when I get to C5? Or would it somehow end up in at my 3X even though it's weeks later and a different airport completely?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 19, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
wanderlust123: First of all, welcome to FT!

As for your question just above, the presence or absence of 3X will not affect where you pick up your checked bag.

Normally, you'd pick up bag at the airport it is tagged to.

However, in international travel (which is presumed in these discussions), there can be exceptions. For example the USA requires you to pick up your bag at the first US airport of arrival, walk through Customs and then give it back to the airline. (Example: I am flying NRT-LAX-ORD, all connections and no stopover. I check my bag at NRT for ORD. Nevertheless I have to pick it up at LAX, go thru Customs, then give it back to the airline right after the Customs, then pick it up again at LAX.) Other countries may or may not have such a rule, best to verify each time.

Either way, 3X is not an issue.

Now, why are you checking bags anyway?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
C2-C1 Base Fare of €6.99 is fully dumpable.
Travel soon.

or Fly LH's €10.00 Base Fare onboard their A-380 and dump all fuel.
Any dump with 3x?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
or Fly onboard LH's A-380 and dump all fuel. €10.00 Base Fare.
Unconventional thinking required. Fly soon
All true, but: it is UA (operated by LH) right? Then the technique removing YQ is well known (ita price €227.72 as the bias removing YQ is expensive) and highly unpractical. Tell me if you mean anything else (i.e. flyable or skippable). [ another possibility is perhaps more flyable but €304.00 ai and some tiny YQ left ]

Last edited by man4business; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Various
FRA – JFK – C3 - C6 – C2 : unfortunately 1 Ybut the rest in comfort – euro 397.65!

Advanced Fding needed

Last edited by missgal; Mar 20, 2017 at 8:36 am Reason: Gone!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by missgal
FRA – JFK – C3 - C6 – C2 : unfortunately 1 Ybut the rest in comfort – euro 397.65!

Advanced Fding needed
There goes my productivity for the rest of the day.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; Mar 20, 2017 at 9:37 am Reason: Gone
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:24 am

haha, true
I haven't checked FT in months and now I'm coming back to this? Pretty insane fare!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:37 am

And its gone - but not before I managed to snap a couple!! - not sure if it will be honoured though...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:39 am

The J fare I posted a few weeks(?) ago still available....
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:51 am

The J fare I posted a few weeks(?) ago still available....
The ex-C4 one?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:06 am

And its gone - but not before I managed to snap a couple!! - not sure if it will be honoured though...
I hope it wasn't on AZ stock XD
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jorun
I hope it wasn't on AZ stock XD

Luckily not....
and never AZ again after the Dus fiasco!!

-should know in 3 days time : boarding or no boarding!

Last edited by missgal; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
The ex-C4 one?
Yup
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.

Advanced Fding needed

wow, this is the sort of FDing I need to get good at. Have back & neck problems so have to fly good J hard product or am in agony during the flight and for days after. Get really jealous when I figure out (usually from hints on here historically) low Y fares but know I can't take them.
Had a few J's cheap due to finger trouble in the filing but not really any FDs in Biz. Do the strikes (if that's the construction) of biz flights always have to be in Biz too ?

​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Do the strikes (if that's the construction) of biz flights always have to be in Biz too ?

​​​​
Not necessarily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.