Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:26 am

I'm new and have a (hopefully) simple question.
Complex itinerary c2n-c1e, good fares with stopovers. EOE and ST permitted only domestically, quite high YQ/YR.
Trying 1x domestic doubled YQ/YR (anti-dump), 3x left YQ/YR intact.
Does that indicate either 1x or 3x is possible for another route or should I lose hope and move on?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
Complex itinerary c2n-c1e, good fares ...
This is unbelievable. Next one, just after a few posts criticizing it. Have you read _the_first_ post in this thread?? I am asking seriously. Have you?...
5. Do not code your questions. No one will be able to answer them.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:42 am

I did read the rules carefully.
I was asking theoretical question, not asking for help for a particular itinerary. I still want to do it myself.
Maybe someone also encountered doubling of YR/YQ, I couldn't find such reports through a quick search.

If this information is insufficient to directly answer my question, then I will just keep trying.
What's the point of revealing airport and carrier codes if when I succeed with the thread's help I wouldn't be able to post a success trick since it would already be revealed in theoretical question?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:15 am

You are asking then theoretical question without relation to a specific carrier and not writing ARN/OSL-NYC because it is so secret... You claim you are beginner but in the next sentence you know better... I tell you, you will not go futrther this way, but do what you want.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by keitherson
I cannot believe our favourite blog just openly posted a J dump.
This is pretty much everything that's wrong on this side of the aisle (other side being the blogs themselves). Self entitled holy men, who are often self proclaimed experts as well, being triggered and/or enraged by a blog post that's neither relevant to this thread nor something they would actually understand.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Does anyone know of any flyable 1x (anywhere in US) that completely eliminates BA YQ? My favourite BA 3x which was a 50% dump is no longer operational. A 100% dump would obviously be favourable.

For example:

BA238 BA199 1/13/17
BA198 BA239 1/22/17

in club world (booking code I) gives a base fare of $1846, and a YQ of $900 (there are still high YQ's in World Traveller/WT+)

In case anyone is interested, I still have a working 3x that cuts the YQ by 50%, but the BF on that 3x is so absurdly high that it only lowers the total cost on premium fares. However, if this 3x exists, a better one must also exist with a low BF.

The fare itself is golden for dumping:

ADD-ONS PERMITTED.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. FARES MUST BE SHOWN SEPARATELY ON THE
TICKET.
OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH BA
FARES
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS.
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
-TO FORM ROUND TRIPS
-TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS
A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS
PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER BA IN ANY
RULE AND TARIFF.

Last edited by nwngeek212; Oct 19, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:29 am

gods of the sky, is this the worst year for travel between 11/23-11/27 from LAX/LGB to anywhere or am i just a noob who's missing something?

P.S. I can already see the replies "you are just a noob" lol!!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by berlinDreamz
gods of the sky, is this the worst year for travel between 11/23-11/27 from LAX/LGB to anywhere or am i just a noob who's missing something?
It is "the worst year" to travel from anywhere to anywhere on those dates.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by berlinDreamz

P.S. I can already see the replies "you are just a noob" lol!!
There is this top secret functionality in a super secret site that sounds like "goggles" and displays flights. You can "explore" starting in your own city and dates any place around the world. Only those who have the power of the mouse button are able to discover it
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
USA - Mauritius normal price $ 1076.10 Dumped price $ 496.85

USA ( including California and Texas ) - Mauritius normal price $ 1076.10.

Dumped price as low as $ 496.85 All-in Round Trip.

California or Texas to Seychelles $ 556.18 All-in R/T.
During certain promotional periods it can be had for $ 278.09

If you decide to fly the last segment, you can have dinner at the KGB's HQs

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 19, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Hello FDers,

Not a dumping question (whew! relief guys!), but maybe someone here can help me. Might be more of a trick it! type question. I'm trying to book a mixed-fare DOJ booking where the outgoing leg is in economy but the return is in business.

The routing is ORD-LHR (economy) BCN-SFO (business).
For the BCN-SFO I'm trying to get fare basis INN7S0T1, which has a BF of USD 899, so the total cost should be somewhere in the ~$1,500 range.

However, it seems that INN7S0T1 only works for round trips originating in Spain. If I try to combine it with any fare starting from the US, it won't work. Anyone know if it's even possible to combine these fares? It doesn't say in the fare rules that you must originate from Europe, so how does the GDS prevent these fares from being combined?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by no2chem
Hello FDers,

Not a dumping question (whew! relief guys!), but maybe someone here can help me. Might be more of a trick it! type question. I'm trying to book a mixed-fare DOJ booking where the outgoing leg is in economy but the return is in business.

The routing is ORD-LHR (economy) BCN-SFO (business).
For the BCN-SFO I'm trying to get fare basis INN7S0T1, which has a BF of USD 899, so the total cost should be somewhere in the ~$1,500 range.

However, it seems that INN7S0T1 only works for round trips originating in Spain. If I try to combine it with any fare starting from the US, it won't work. Anyone know if it's even possible to combine these fares? It doesn't say in the fare rules that you must originate from Europe, so how does the GDS prevent these fares from being combined?
I'm still learning and there is a lot of information that I don't understand, but this is something basic, if you have a BF that don't have many restrictions, it doesn't meant that can be combined with any cheap/low economy BF, where they usually have more restrictions.

I took the time to do a search on Matrix, and reading on the BF rules I found

50: Application
PUBLIC FARES
APPLICATION
AREA
THESE FARES APPLY
BETWEEN SPAIN AND CANARY ISLANDS AND NORTH AMERICA.
CLASS OF SERVICE

In the past I didn't pay to much attention to that line, but it looks like that fare only Apply between Spain ---> USA, when others usually say "Transatlantic fares".

I tried to combine both (Y&J) but the business fare that is compatible is the one that cost $1,8xx, besides you are missing the YQ which is $7xx.

I'm sure I'm wrong and somebody can give you a better advice, but I least I tried .
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by fedechat
I'm still learning and there is a lot of information that I don't understand, but this is something basic, if you have a BF that don't have many restrictions, it doesn't meant that can be combined with any cheap/low economy BF, where they usually have more restrictions.

I took the time to do a search on Matrix, and reading on the BF rules I found

50: Application
PUBLIC FARES
APPLICATION
AREA
THESE FARES APPLY
BETWEEN SPAIN AND CANARY ISLANDS AND NORTH AMERICA.
CLASS OF SERVICE

In the past I didn't pay to much attention to that line, but it looks like that fare only Apply between Spain ---> USA, when others usually say "Transatlantic fares".

I tried to combine both (Y&J) but the business fare that is compatible is the one that cost $1,8xx, besides you are missing the YQ which is $7xx.

I'm sure I'm wrong and somebody can give you a better advice, but I least I tried .
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I was able to combine Y&J, I fare basis ex-spain successfully, well hm, now that you mention it, the fare construction is interesting. Guess I better shush about it..

I guess I read the application part to be for that fare component only, but from what you're saying, it applies to all fare components?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:09 am

Okay, I apologize for earlier.
Let me give you something I found long time ago (in April or so) and it still works.
C2w-C3s (but actually will work for more C2-C3 combinations) 3x dumpable on multiple carriers, halving YQ. Some promotional periods can get as low as 300 ai. Also was able to book c2e-c3s for ~220 ai. 3x is a domestic flight which is not domestic enough.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: CSA
"Deleted message"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.