Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by palmanfr
But here, the OTA charged the correct amount : they used the base fare which was available for the fare JDN0YNS0 between MAD (or other Spanish departure points) and SCL (or other Chilean destinations) at the time of booking and added the taxes to it for LA tickets and the same taxes + YQ for IB issued tickets. Some OTAs may have deducted a small rebate (like 10 euros or so) due to the fact it's an OTA to differentiate them from the prices charged by the airline website. So it's not the responsibility of the OTA if the fare was improperly filed by the airline, it's the responsibility of... the airline (or the airline subcontractor in charge of that job)
Agreed. That's my point - all this talk about OTA vs airline tickets seems to be a red herring. LA would have been quick to blame OTAs if it could have done so.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by LJOP
Yes, Airlines and OTAs often have different pricing, but the OTA usually isn't charging 1/3 of the Airlines price.

The difference with the Ryanair example is that Ryanair often sell $7 tickets direct from their own website during their random sales. I'd be surprised if you could name a single occasion in the last couple of years where an airline has sold business class tickets at $300 between Europe and South America (I don't think it would cover the cost of fuel at present (only a portion of Iberia and LATAM fuel is hedged)).
Did anybody checked on June 15th what the LATAM website charged for the same tickets ? That is a honest question from my side, as I only checked the IB website and some OTAs mentioned before. I did not check the LATAM website because I wanted to mostly fly with IB due to tier point credit. I doubt that the OTA was charging 1/3rd of the price as suggested. I believe that they charged the base fare indicated on the GDS + Applicable taxes and fees (21.10+25.00+0.70+3.40 USD or equivalent in EUR), and that the same pricing would have been quoted IMHO on LATAM website (since they issue only LA-tickets). Iberia website only sells IB-issued tickets and therefore priced those flights as base fare of 318 USD (for MAD-SCL) + 21.10 + 25.00 + 0.70 + 3.40 + 600-ish of their own YQ resulting in a price around 950.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by LJOP
Yes, Airlines and OTAs often have different pricing, but the OTA usually isn't charging 1/3 of the Airlines price.

The difference with the Ryanair example is that Ryanair often sell $7 tickets direct from their own website during their random sales. I'd be surprised if you could name a single occasion in the last couple of years where an airline has sold business class tickets at $300 between Europe and South America (I don't think it would cover the cost of fuel at present (only a portion of Iberia and LATAM fuel is hedged)).
It is not the consumers responsibility to know the usual cost of a route or the costs of doing business. Sure you may live in Europe and know that Ryanair sells fares for $7 but I live in New York and I don’t know their fare structure or business costs. All I know is that the flight I wanted was $35 direct from the airline and $7 from an OTA.

I need to buy a new ice tray for my fridge. Direct from sub-zero it’s a $350 part. Several retailers have it for $175 and one outlier has it for $65. All genuine new parts. Is it my responsibility to question the $65 price or should I do what every consumer would do and buy it expecting that the business set the price they wanted to set?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I need to buy a new ice tray for my fridge. Direct from sub-zero it’s a $350 part. Several retailers have it for $175 and one outlier has it for $65. All genuine new parts. Is it my responsibility to question the $65 price or should I do what every consumer would do and buy it expecting that the business set the price they wanted to set?
You can buy it, and if the seller realizes it's set incorrectly they won't ship it to you and correct it (sounds familiar?). Or they might take the loss and ship it, to keep you happy. But if there are another 3000 sales like this, would they take the loss and keep everyone happy (except them as they'd be bankrupt)?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by bimbonello
You can buy it, and if the seller realizes it's set incorrectly they won't ship it to you and correct it (sounds familiar?). Or they might take the loss and ship it, to keep you happy. But if there are another 3000 sales like this, would they take the loss and keep everyone happy (except them as they'd be bankrupt)?
If they don’t ship the product I would know the next day. Latam and Iberia are over a week in without a single piece of official communication. If they emailed the next day I may say fair call but it has been over a week!

Also 3000 tickets is a drop in the bucket for airlines. If 6000 discounted seats (3k in each direction) could send them bankrupt then they were already too close to failure anyway.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
I was just looking at the computer from which I did one the bookings last week. Funny to see the cache page from Expert Flyer showing the fare, and a bunch of iberia, priceline and google flight tabs (received an alert of price drop, that's after that I decided to look at flyertalk and book). Just took a bunch of screenshots "just in case". I can also confirm that very legit OTAs, such as Amex travel were showing those promotional fares but on IB stock only, so 900 Euros RT all included, that's how I decided to look at priceline and such... Wonder if anybody here saw the prices (and took screenshots) on the LATAM website back then.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Also 3000 tickets is a drop in the bucket for airlines. If 6000 discounted seats (3k in each direction) could send them bankrupt then they were already too close to failure anyway.
You just described the entire airline industry. Net margins industry-wide are about 5%, which ends up being approximately $20 per passenger. A single mis-priced ticket wipes out the net margin for an entire flight (and that's on healthy airlines, not ones on the brink of bankruptcy). I'm not personally going to shed any tears for them (heck, I'm trying to take advantage of good deals myself), but the amount I'm always amazed how people try to justify taking things way too far.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:24 am

If they don’t ship the product I would know the next day. Latam and Iberia are over a week in without a single piece of official communication. If they emailed the next day I may say fair call but it has been over a week!

Agree.
I read about this 3000 number before on this thread, not sure if this number is real or not, but if it is and if we spread this number across the next 330 days (I agree some days there will be more tickets issued than others), it means that an average of 9.1 passengers would fly at this fare daily, via the different Latin America gateways (direct to SCL, but also via EZE, LIM, GRU, GIG, MVD etc...). So that would barely be 1 passenger per flight overall at this fare (SCL-MAD has two flights daily at least, maybe more for LIM and GRU, while EZE and MVD have one daily...). Each aircraft has on average 30 to 36 business class seats from what I saw. Now it's unclear how many tickets were sold at 900 euros and how many were sold at 350 euros, but it is not uncommon that those flights depart with some empty seats upfront (at least that was the situation everytime I flew between SCL and Europe). What would be in your opinion the "breakeven fare" where it's better to keep a seat empty than to fill this empty seat with a cheap fare ? I am genuinely wondering...
PbodyPhoto likes this.

Last edited by palmanfr; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:30 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Just spoke to Booking.com/GTG, and some of their cs are truly useless. Anyway, got transferred to someone a bit brighter and he confirmed that LA cancelled the booking and made notes that only a refund is possible, no rebooking. Obviously, no communication from the OTA, I actually had to ask the guy to put this info in writing. I still have to call back and ask for a refund, it doesn't happen automatically.

Happy that I booked on IB stock as well, at least that one is intact, so I reckon it will stick.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
The LATAM app has an interesting take when I check my reservation on it:

”You’ve already requested the refund of this trip. See details”

This is blatantly false as I have never requested such a thing
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:22 am

What would be in your opinion the "breakeven fare" where it's better to keep a seat empty than to fill this empty seat with a cheap fare ? I am genuinely wondering...
I'm sure if you did some research you'd find out - this shouldn't be an opinion, but a fact. My limited knowledge suggests it not $300 in biz seat. Take off the airport and government charges, (that's about $50 based on the screenshots above), weight/fuel cost (say 4 litres per 100km = 840 litres, IATA says $0.9/litre = $756), catering... wait, do I need to continue?

Check the IATA WATS, last year, Latin America airlines had the lowest margins, -32.6% (yes, negative) and highest losses per passenger at $89.4. So I guess to breakeven won't be easy...
Flying Machine and FrankTalk like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by ggomtel
My ticket (950 euros fare bought directly with Iberia for direct flights) is still showing perfectly fine in the website. Do you think it is safe to buy positioning flights now? Departure is for September and prices are quite high already.
Still purely speculation now, but I suspect that most of you booking the ~$1,000 fare on IB, ticketed by IB (075) will fly.

Both airlines had the flash sale fare in the GDS on a full J fare, but only LA wasn't charging YQ on their tickets (045) booked via a dozen or so agencies. I quite specifically saw the same base fare with an IB code in Expertflyer, though I'm not sure if they have a JV or similar on the route that causes both airlines to publish the same fare in lockstep. There was no way (that I could find) to get it IB ticketed (075) without the YQ... but the base J fare itself was identical for both IB and LA. That I feel is going to be the distinguishing difference. Even in the early part of the 045 LA tickets, LA quicky cancelled their segments but IB didn't and seemingly wasn't going to, hence LA deciding to invalidate the tickets entirely. The reluctance to honor appears to be LA, but not IB.

For me, I'm far enough away that a $1,000 fare on the route wasn't really attractive enough to attempt it, though is still a very great deal in general since it was full J and credits quite well to certain mileage programs. There are ~$1,000-1,500 fares almost constantly between SE Asia and Europe that are just as productive mileage wise and easier/cheaper to position for. Sadly we almost NEVER get any ex-Japan. You might even think that all airlines do higher level of QC before publishing fares ex-Japan since we literally almost never ever see an error fare, let alone even a decent (Under $2k) sale price to anywhere outside of SE Asia.
Marcin83 likes this.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jun 24, 2022 at 11:11 am Reason: Fluid thought process that sees improvements and clarifications in what I just posted.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:09 pm

So how can an airline or OTA invalidate a ticket because no YQ was charged if this particular airline NEVER charges any YQ ?
Btw, have you booked any tickets on this fare ? Which one ?
I am very intrigued about which customer organization you are talking about. Please share details, especially if based in Spain or Europe.
I do appreciate you trying to find a way to push the airline to honour your ticket, but let’s be honest: everyone on here knows that 350€ for a full flexible J ticket between Spain and South America can’t be correct and its exactly this question a judge will need to answer.
The consumer organisation, I consulted, is Test Achat from Belgium, they are quite good and even won a couple of EU 261 cases against Ryanair, .
I have bookings both with Iberia and an OTA. Hoping for the Iberia to survive, but that was clearly an error as well, the way out was 475 bizz flexible and 2k-ish in bizz optima which doesn’t allow changes or refund.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:23 pm

Correct, but if the business later claims they made a mistake and the price should have been 265 iso 65, that sale can be invalidated, without any compensation, under European law. The one thing the seller needs to do is correct the price as soon as possible and refund the customer.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
For those who has tickets with Brazil stopovers who can advise the right way to complain please? The link below is for complaints, one can select Aviation Agency as a body to complain but what is next? It only allows to select Brazil as a place of an 'incident'. Should we just say Rio and explain the story?

https://www.gov.br/anac/pt-br/canais...ale-com-a-anac

Last edited by Keter; Jun 25, 2022 at 1:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.