Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by fuyao
Wait and see.

Yes, you only have a certain timeframe AFTER you receive the purchased product.
So if you preorder a physical good, the deadline won't start until you receive it because otherwise you wouldn't be able to file a chargeback anymore for any product defects.
Same for flights (at least with Visa+MC), countdown for chargebacks does not start until the 1st flight was supposed to happen since the merchant / airline have not provided the cardholder with anything for their money yet.
Thats why flight bookings are considered high risk products for payment processors and the rolling reserve / fees are higher (for most psp)
I disagree the laws of the United States are different: What Are American Express's Chargeback Time Limits? In most cases, American Express cardholders have 120 days after the transaction occurs to file a chargeback. However, for chargebacks related to damaged or defective items, the deadline is 120 days from the day the item was received.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Shl
SK AAR - Neither Iberia nor LATAM nor my TA has ever communicated any price mistake to myself or any other party involved. So this is not about a price mistake. Things do not just become true when you post them over and over again. Also, my ticket is not canceled but just changed. Let's switch the discussion to the usual price mistake legal discussion when it is communicated as such. This case is different from the others.
OK - I'm quite confident that sooner or later there will be communication with LA (and IB) - perhaps via the OTA - that the segments have been cancelled as the ticket is void due to wrong pricing. It can be worded in many ways, but ultimately it will come down to these fares being offered unrealisticly low, i.e. a mistake fare. To think that because neither LATAM or the OTA has used the word "fare mistake" (yet) that this is completely different and will be treated differentlty by LA, the OTA, the national enforcement bodies etc is rather naive IMO; but by all means keep on dreaming (sorry for speaking it out loud, but many posts/contributors in this thread need a reality check).
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by danger
Booking.com tells me "in this case your flights were cancelled by the airlines and not by us." Important terminology: flights cancelled. Nothing about a so-called error. To me, this means the situation falls squarely within EC261/2004 and I'm entitled to the provisions of Article 8, as megaloman mentioned earlier.
there is a difference of a flight being canceled, and a ticket being canceled. The flight may still continue to fly as scheduled
PbodyPhoto likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I did an online check-in, scheduled departure from MAD is in T-4 hours.

Immediate PDF & Mobile BP for the return SCL-MAD 6/22 11:20

For MAD-EZE IB6841 6/20 23:59, shows boarding pass will be issued after upload and verification of pending documents:
Just curious if you're able to fly?
becks1 and unusualtravelblog like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry, but this is not the way Spanish/civil law works. If the airline explains that this is a mistake fare (fare way too low) and it is held that pax knew this or ought to have known it as the price was much lower than normal/comparable biz tickets, then the ticket will be void and not binding for the airline, i.e. there was no formation of a valid contract/ticket regardless that you received ticket No etc.
and especially since the airline worked so quickly after ticketing
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I disagree the laws of the United States are different: What Are American Express's Chargeback Time Limits? In most cases, American Express cardholders have 120 days after the transaction occurs to file a chargeback. However, for chargebacks related to damaged or defective items, the deadline is 120 days from the day the item was received.
Usually card companies have different chargeback rules for services and some have specific reasons covering (air) transportation. Visa for example used to be up to 120 days after expected completion [ie travel date] but maximum 540 days after the transaction date. Not sure what the situation is now; you'd need to weed through thousands of pages of chargeback reason codes to see how it is now.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:38 am

in the United States it’s 120 days from the transaction date:

What Are American Express's Chargeback Time Limits? In most cases, American Express cardholders have 120 days after the transaction occurs to file a chargeback. However, for chargebacks related to damaged or defective items, the deadline is 120 days from the day the item was received.
That's meant to cover in-store transactions. You're missing the second sentence, that also relates to services and purchase with delivery/realization in the future. What would be the point then?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Had the courts here in CA serve LATAM down in LA. We’ll see how they react when they have to appear in the other side of the state. Will keep everyone updated.
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
Had the courts here in CA serve LATAM down in LA. We’ll see how they react when they have to appear in the other side of the state. Will keep everyone updated.
Seems a bit early to be going to court. Have you been denied boarding already?
unusualtravelblog likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Seems a bit early to be going to court. Have you been denied boarding already?
The ticket is currently unflyable as it is and service via the courts is much faster than playing games with a bunch of incompetent airlines. Either the ticket will become flyable, they will have to commit perjury by attesting that the ticket is flyable (would not be surprised there) or the court will award material damages.
dvs7310, PbodyPhoto, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: QF LTG
The ticket is currently unflyable as it is and service via the courts is much faster than playing games with a bunch of incompetent airlines. Either the ticket will become flyable, they will have to commit perjury by attesting that the ticket is flyable (would not be surprised there) or the court will award material damages.
Fair enough, I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:57 am

interesting play, I assume your an attorney.. were there filing fees involved?? What was the basis of your motion?

Regarding the point about the other side of the state. Everything is done electronically including appearances. They file from their comfort of their home or office and appear the same. I assume you know that already so Why mention the other side of the State?!

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 21, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Fair enough, I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
And it will establish a precedent.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Interesting and an aggressive move (less than a week after the tickets were purchased).

I wonder on which basis a US judge will accept to deal with this matter as it has no connection to the US. LATAM could easily dispute jurisdiction/the competence to deal with matter. If purchased through PL, Booking or other US OTA I fail to see how that binds LATAM to US jurisdiction.

This will indeed be interesting to follow.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by bimbonello
That's meant to cover in-store transactions. You're missing the second sentence, that also relates to services and purchase with delivery/realization in the future. What would be the point then?
In September I purchased a few of the CMN-MIA F sale fares on my American Express. One of the tickets AA changed the origin from CMN to MAD. In March just before departure I decided not to fly, canceled the flight online and requested a refund. AA denied the refund. A quick call to AMEX to chargeback got the ticket refunded to my AMEX within a week - this was 6 months after the initial purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.