Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Mad-scl biz $280 return

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Just had an interesting call with PL in response to their airline-changed-something email. After we got past me insisting that I never changed anything by calling the airline, the agent said the return was cancelled by Iberia but the outbound was ok. I asked to rebook and was told there were no flights anymore.

Eventually the agent called Iberia (1hr hold). They redirected him to LATAM, another 45m hold. Then he said the LATAM is no longer operating the flight and he needs to process a refund. I pushed back a bit and asked for a reason why I can't fly on another flight. He called them back and said someone from the ticketing department said the ticket could not be flown because of a disagreement between Iberia and LATAM (??). He said they would not authorize rebooking, only refund, but that they refused to give a reason why rebooking was not allowed.

No mention of a mistake fare at any point, but it seems like LATAM doesn't want to budge on these. Interesting that they haven't proactively done anything other than cancel their segments though..
nk15 and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Quail
Just had an interesting call with PL in response to their email. After we got past me insisting that I never changed anything by calling the airline, the agent said the return was cancelled by Iberia but the outbound was ok. I asked to rebook and was told there were no flights anymore.

Eventually the agent called Iberia (1hr hold). They redirected him to LATAM, another 45m hold. Then he said the LATAM is no longer operating the flight and he needs to process a refund. I pushed back a bit and asked for a reason why I can't fly on another flight. He called them back and said someone from the ticketing department said the ticket could not be flown because of a disagreement between Iberia and LATAM (??). He said they would not authorize rebooking, only refund, but that they explicitly refused to give a reason why rebooking was not allowed.

No mention of a mistake fare at any point, but it seems like LATAM doesn't want to budge on these. Interesting that they haven't proactively done anything other than cancel their segments though..
thanks for posting. A very interesting data point. I think anyone who sticking it is going to expect an uphill battle with this. Be very cautious about making any other positioning flights or nonrefundable reservations
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
As a different data point, with Lastminute.com, I escalated my booking four times and spoke to a very competent understanding UK based person around 10am today.

The original booking was; MAD - LIM - SCL - MAD and all segments bar the final had dropped off. Flight is in three weeks. 045 ticketed, 278 gbp.

The agent has spoken with Latam, emailed me back and offered the direct MAD-SCL flight on Latam. I've replied, and the booking is now intact, reticketed as a MAD-SCL-MAD return; outbound on LA and back on IB.

As for my other two bookings... I won't poke the bear just yet!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
As a different data point, with Lastminute.com, I escalated my booking four times and spoke to a very competent understanding UK based person around 10am today.

The original booking was; MAD - LIM - SCL - MAD and all segments bar the final had dropped off. Flight is in three weeks. 045 ticketed, 278 gbp.

The agent has spoken with Latam, emailed me back and offered the direct MAD-SCL flight on Latam. I've replied, and the booking is now intact, reticketed as a MAD-SCL-MAD return; outbound on LA and back on IB.

As for my other two bookings... I won't poke the bear just yet!
Very good news! It’s interesting how different OTAs are handing the situation. I guess it’s time to grab a bowl of popcorn and standby

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 22, 2022 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, very interesting indeed. It may also come down to with whom at LATAM the OTA talks to seek authorization to rebook. If the OTA gets a clueless LATAM agent without knowledge of or instructions on how to proceed with these tickets (agent hasn't read the internal LATAM memo yet!) obviously, he/she will try to rectify the situation and rebook, whereas an agent with knowledge of these ticket, vill refuse to rebook and insist that refund is the only option.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:18 am

They are going for Plan B now after failing to provide a reasonable solution: https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...an-2022-06-19/
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ComandantePuchinetta
They are going for Plan B now after failing to provide a reasonable solution: https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...an-2022-06-19/
One could say that this unexpected flash sale was to rise money to keep a bankrupt airline afloat for a little bit longer... I think Alitalia has used this tactic before with their very generous flash sale from DUS to FLR business class fare, that had only one fare rule - could not be direct...
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, very interesting indeed. It may also come down to with whom at LATAM the OTA talks to seek authorization to rebook. If the OTA gets a clueless LATAM agent without knowledge of or instructions on how to proceed with these tickets (agent hasn't read the internal LATAM memo yet!) obviously, he/she will try to rectify the situation and rebook, whereas an agent with knowledge of these ticket, vill refuse to rebook and insist that refund is the only option.
It sounds like this might end up being a random mess, with a few tickets slipping through the cracks, a few getting rebooked, and most getting cancelled.

I am getting a vibe that it may be beneficial to call earlier than later, before rules get solidified, although this could have the opposite effect, and in any case who wants to spend 5 hours on the phone dealing with this....
palmanfr and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by megaloman
One could say that this unexpected flash sale was to rise money to keep a bankrupt airline afloat for a little bit longer... I think Alitalia has used this tactic before with their very generous flash sale from DUS to FLR business class fare, that had only one fare rule - could not be direct...
Except that fare was cancelled though If I recall correctly, so that was a short term loan...
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by mrhocA
I have one booking MAD-SCL-GRU-MAD via booking.com and on all the airline websites it still looks fine.
similarly intact (045 + itinerary + ota) here - fingers crossed!!
mrhocA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:46 pm

So my reservation (which initially lost outbound legs MAD-GRU-SCL) has disappeared completely from the Iberia (and other) booking systems.
Called GTG again to check but got the same "special customer service is working on it" line. Not sure what they are working on, but will let it be for now.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just received a cancellation email from priceline:

Dear DELPIERO223,

We were notified recently by LATAM Airlines of a fare filing error which resulted in invalid fares being ticketed for certain cabin class inventory, including for the fares that you recently booked through our site. We have been advised by the airline that they will not honor your reservation as booked, and your reservation has been cancelled.

A refund has been initiated on your behalf for the total unused ticket amount. The refund will be processed back to your original form of payment within 7-10 business days.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Who actually billed your credit card? Mine was with Priceline but the airline itself billed my card. (LA) Been a few years since I used Priceline for air tickets so can't remember if that's their norm or not.
Booking.com.

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
You do understand that the regulation is for non-operation of the flight, right? And that EU261 is basically protection against the airlines leaving you at the airport in case of operational issues.
No, I don't. Where in the regulation is that articulated?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nk15
Except that fare was cancelled though If I recall correctly, so that was a short term loan...
IIRC Alitalia was removing all exotic segments and replacing them with a more direct shorthaul route DUS-FCO-FLR or FLR-FCO-DUS... which technically was enough to get a refund under EC261/2004, but some OTA's were not getting any updates from AZ and refused to refund - I remember my friends had to go through a charge back with Opodo, successfully.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I'm really baffled by this thread. No one has even tried to fly one of these tickets, yet people are already requesting refunds and discussing legal consequences?
Thee has been one (!) datapoint of the airline unilaterally refunding the ticket. Just chill. Reading this thread is giving me a headache.
Then don't read it

Who are you to tell people what they can and can't post on a thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.