Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA A/F Fare: CMN-MIA - $741/$1159

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA A/F Fare: CMN-MIA - $741/$1159

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
(If it makes you feel better) The fare rules didn't permit booking on BA (more specifically, non AA or IB) metal.
You could fly BA metal across the pond but it had to be booked under the AA flight number.
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I'm confused. We all know about these great deals because we follow a public and relatively well known internet forum. The suggestion is airlines don't know about them (even though they create and manage the fares themselves) until a telephone sales operator at the airline tells the airline they made a mistake because someone just booked it over the phone

That probably sounded plausible 10 years ago. This may sound crazy, but maybe - just maybe - people in airlines have access to the internet and social media too?

I was surprised when I booked this fare (May 2022) that every seat in the F cabin on the TATL both ways was available for me to select - no doubt they sold a lot of these fares before it was pulled, but it certainly wasn't anywhere close to filling their premium cabin with low fare passengers
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm used to the term "AAngel" being specifically for Admiral's Club agents, not reservations agents, because of their legendary reputation for solving impossible problems. I don't think I've ever seen this usage. Have I been living in a cave and it's actually common?
I do see what you're trying to do there. I used the term liberally, since at first I was about to type AAgents, but went with AAngels.

Originally Posted by anabolism
As for calling/not calling, I do know a few reservations agents and they do alert RM when they encounter a fare that looks too low, so probably these sorts of fares can come to someone's attention either by automated analysis or an agent alerting them. Probably a lot of phone agents don't notice or care, but some do.
The likelihood is still small and it's besides the point, which is that revenue management won't need customer service tip offs. The whole noise around the topic has gotten out of proprotion. Very few seem to understand how the hostility is the biggest issue, which is just a reaction out of scare of missing out on something, in case phone calls would actually have a substantial effect. The community spirit is certainly not elevated by strawman attacks.

Now, like I mentioned previously, let's just wait and see what new interesting fare eventually emerges as the next big thing. And no worries, no need for anyone to post about it here against their conviction on FT being just a waste of effort. Eventually the news emerges somewhere, be it here or elsewhere.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by shuttlerider
You could fly BA metal across the pond but it had to be booked under the AA flight number.
Given the fare rules - should I be able to call in and move from AA38/39 to the codeshare flights (AA6958/6957) for free since I'm not changing the the first segment and I'm not changing the route at all?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by sgan317
Given the fare rules - should I be able to call in and move from AA38/39 to the codeshare flights (AA6958/6957) for free since I'm not changing the the first segment and I'm not changing the route at all?
No downside in trying - worst they can do is say no

If it works, please let me know! :-)
honzeek_cz likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Ned1968
No downside in trying - worst they can do is say no
Especially on a F(oxtrot) class fare basis it may pass. However it's worth noticing there was a stipulation about AA by AA on TATL segments, unless I remember wrong.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by aacar
Yes, if the refund was processed today it'll take a couple days.
indeed, posted today
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by sgan317
If you want BA metal over the pond you will also need to have MAD-LON or CMN-MAD (or both) booked as AA marketed operated by IB as this is what the fare rules require (in a strange way though so that even AA fare department 'intern' [and many of us including myself] did not get how GDS interprets the below text in a right way):

AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EUROPE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB.
Also if you change before departure then normally the historical fares only apply to changes for other than first fare component (IATA reso 017f [corrected from 018f]), however, i have seen many airlines have relaxed this rule to 'other than first segment/ coupon' in practice even if fare rules refer to 'fare components'.
Added: to avoid confusion the automated pricing (coding) is reading a 'first component' as a 'first coupon' in such relaxed cases from what I know.

Depends on the agent you get in touch this but it is less and less likely nowadays that an airline agent would be willing to make manual changes (without fare recalculation) especially if changes are made before departure.
uptwn132 likes this.

Last edited by Keter; Sep 16, 2021 at 4:36 am Reason: mistakes corrected
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Keter
If you want BA metal over the pond you will also need to have MAD-LON or CMN-MAD (or both) booked as AA marketed operated by IB as this is what the fare rules require (in a strange way though so that even AA fare department 'intern' [and many of us including myself] did not get how GDS interprets the below text in a right way): ...
Are there IB flights that are AA-coded MAD-LON and CMN-MAD, though? I can't find any, even when searching CMN to MIA via MAD and LHR.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by danger
Are there IB flights that are AA-coded MAD-LON and CMN-MAD, though? I can't find any, even when searching CMN to MIA via MAD and LHR.
First of all AA-IB codeshare agreement is not available yet for Summer 2022 timetable so last possibility for such a flight should be around 27 March.

And then here comes the art of working with codeshares:

1) You can find these flights only as connecting flights in most cases (but not in all cases and yes in this case). Do look for these
2) Booking such flights without a connection is an art too - not all agents know how to do it and not all agents will do it even if they know because there are other rules and laws that govern such flights and a person who has now full knowledge of those is not willing to do something which is not supposed to be done. My shortcut understanding that ANY such code share flight can be booked without a connection as long as it is part of the international ticket, however, not all share this view.
uptwn132 and CarefreeBA like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:55 am

First of all AA-IB codeshare agreement is not available yet for Summer 2022 timetable so last possibility for such a flight should be around 27 March.
That actually explains why it was impossible to get BA metal past March, makes lots of sense, thank you for the insight!
Keter, CarefreeBA, ubiest and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
If you want BA metal over the pond you will also need to have MAD-LON or CMN-MAD (or both) booked as AA marketed operated by IB as this is what the fare rules require (in a strange way though so that even AA fare department 'intern' [and many of us including myself] did not get how GDS interprets the below text in a right way):

Also if you change before departure then normally the historical fares only apply to changes for other than first fare component (IATA reso 017f [corrected from 018f]), however, i have seen many airlines have relaxed this rule to 'other than first segment/ coupon' in practice even if fare rules refer to 'fare components'.
Added: to avoid confusion the automated pricing (coding) is reading a 'first component' as a 'first coupon' in such relaxed cases from what I know.

Depends on the agent you get in touch this but it is less and less likely nowadays that an airline agent would be willing to make manual changes (without fare recalculation) especially if changes are made before departure.
The one-way F rules had this section near the end after PENALTIES section. It specifically states use historical fares if you don't change the first flight coupon.
Code:
VOLUNTARY CHANGES    
   IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS
   BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
   CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
   BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES
   NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE CHARGE HIGHEST FEE OF ALL
   CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - INFANT/CHILD DISCOUNTS APPLY
   AND
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
     PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
     1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FLIGHT COUPON
     2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     3. AA/AY/BA/IB FARES ARE USED
     4. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
     5. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
     DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
     OR -
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY
     1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     2. AA/AY/BA/IB FARES ARE USED
     3. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
     4. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO
   WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL
   FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND
   ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
   ENDORSEMENTS.
   OR -
   AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY AND WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY
   CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN
   BY THOSE OF AA INTERNATIONAL FARES
   NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE CHARGE HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED
   FARE COMPONENTS - INFANT/CHILD DISCOUNTS APPLY AND
     REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
     1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
     MUST BE DOMESTIC
     2. AA/AY/BA/IB FARES ARE USED
     3. AA ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
     4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
     5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
   WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE SUBTRACT RESIDUAL
   FROM THE PENALTY THEN ADD-COLLECT/REFUND
   ENDORSEMENT BOX - HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW
   ENDORSEMENTS.
Keter likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC
One of the 3 bookings I made is still "On request". I guess I just consider that to be a non-runner?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by skunker
The one-way F rules had this section near the end after PENALTIES section. It specifically states use historical fares if you don't change the first flight coupon.
An Interesting observation! It seems only full J/F/Y refer to 1st coupon (those with X indicator where one way price = 1/2 RT) while other fares refer to 1st fare component. Let's see what it actually means in practice.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
So what's the difference between coupon and component.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.