Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA A/F Fare: CMN-MIA - $741/$1159

[PREM FARE GONE] AA A/F Fare: CMN-MIA - $741/$1159

Old Oct 10, 21, 12:51 pm
  #361  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu View Post
Incidentally, I did the dumbest thing ever -- was cancelling a domestic flight on AA mobile app on a bad wireless connection on a lagging iPhone, and ended up cancelling one of my CMN-MIA roundtrips for November 2021 (!!!) instead. Instant sinking feeling (as I have a SFO-LIS-MAD positioning flight in TP J, need the flight for maintaining AS MVPG75K for 2021, etc.)

Called AA 2 minutes later; relatively brief hold (10 minutes), got an agent. She was super friendly/nice, I was extra polite and excited about upcoming travel, and asked for her to save me from my mistake. She had to call helpdesk (not sure if it was for policy exception or genuine help), was on hold for ~20 minutes (and kept contacting me every 3-5 minutes to make sure I was still there). Ended up reticking with one flight changed (I think due to schedule change, for only fare difference. (which was, shockingly, +$1; I was concerned it would be +$10k). Talked a bit about how excited I was for intl travel, she commented that the flight had the "pod seats" and should be a great flight, etc.

(I would NOT have called if the deal were still open, and just taken the loss and/or rebooked.)

One of my best airline experiences ever; totally unexpectedly so.
Thats a surprisingly great outcome.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Oct 11, 21, 7:27 pm
  #362  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 83
Question about this fare. I have the A fare booked (with positioning flights and everything). For the TPAC I'm interested in changing the return from LHR-MIA-LHR with 7 days in Miami to LHR-MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR with 7 days in CLT instead. Any thoughts on whether that is allowed? I would only be changing the return in this situation.

I saved the A fare rules and believe below is the relevant section. Not super confident in my ability to interpret these. Also, people upthread are talking about a HIP check. I didn't see a reference to that in the A fare rules, but again I could easily have missed the relevant language. Also not sure what MPM applies for this fare. It appears to be 5175 on EF, but the CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA (5737 miles) routing already violates that number so not sure if it matters if I add 218 miles for MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR-MAD-CMN (5955 miles) on the way back.

I realize that I will probably have to call in eventually and try to get someone to change it for me, but I figured I would get the input from fare rules experts here first.
Spoiler
 
Ivan Denisovich is offline  
Old Oct 11, 21, 7:41 pm
  #363  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Silver, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,Sixt Platinum
Posts: 13,222
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich View Post
Question about this fare. I have the A fare booked (with positioning flights and everything). For the TPAC I'm interested in changing the return from LHR-MIA-LHR with 7 days in Miami to LHR-MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR with 7 days in CLT instead. Any thoughts on whether that is allowed? I would only be changing the return in this situation.

I saved the A fare rules and believe below is the relevant section. Not super confident in my ability to interpret these. Also, people upthread are talking about a HIP check. I didn't see a reference to that in the A fare rules, but again I could easily have missed the relevant language. Also not sure what MPM applies for this fare. It appears to be 5175 on EF, but the CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA (5737 miles) routing already violates that number so not sure if it matters if I add 218 miles for MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR-MAD-CMN (5955 miles) on the way back.

I realize that I will probably have to call in eventually and try to get someone to change it for me, but I figured I would get the input from fare rules experts here first.
Spoiler
 
You would need to perform the change after you have flown the first leg ( CMN-MAD ) otherwise, any applicable fare difference would be collected as changes based on historic faring only apply for changes made after you have commenced your itinerary.

By the way, the MPM at 25M is 6468 miles which is the maximum that you could fly on this itinerary.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 11, 21, 9:15 pm
  #364  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: Lots of faux metal
Posts: 5,914
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich View Post
Question about this fare. I have the A fare booked (with positioning flights and everything). For the TPAC I'm interested in changing the return from LHR-MIA-LHR with 7 days in Miami to LHR-MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR with 7 days in CLT instead. Any thoughts on whether that is allowed? I would only be changing the return in this situation.

I saved the A fare rules and believe below is the relevant section. Not super confident in my ability to interpret these. Also, people upthread are talking about a HIP check. I didn't see a reference to that in the A fare rules, but again I could easily have missed the relevant language. Also not sure what MPM applies for this fare. It appears to be 5175 on EF, but the CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA (5737 miles) routing already violates that number so not sure if it matters if I add 218 miles for MIA-CLT-JFK-LHR-MAD-CMN (5955 miles) on the way back.

I realize that I will probably have to call in eventually and try to get someone to change it for me, but I figured I would get the input from fare rules experts here first.
Spoiler
 
TPAC?
HIP checks are standard unless the fare rules specifically state there is an exception. With that said, there are examples of stopovers up thread, but I don't recall seeing any in CLT.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
skunker is offline  
Old Oct 12, 21, 11:17 am
  #365  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Posts: 8,777
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu View Post
Incidentally, I did the dumbest thing ever -- was cancelling a domestic flight on AA mobile app on a bad wireless connection on a lagging iPhone, and ended up cancelling one of my CMN-MIA roundtrips for November 2021 (!!!) instead. Instant sinking feeling (as I have a SFO-LIS-MAD positioning flight in TP J, need the flight for maintaining AS MVPG75K for 2021, etc.)

Called AA 2 minutes later; relatively brief hold (10 minutes), got an agent. She was super friendly/nice, I was extra polite and excited about upcoming travel, and asked for her to save me from my mistake. She had to call helpdesk (not sure if it was for policy exception or genuine help), was on hold for ~20 minutes (and kept contacting me every 3-5 minutes to make sure I was still there). Ended up reticking with one flight changed (I think due to schedule change, for only fare difference. (which was, shockingly, +$1; I was concerned it would be +$10k). Talked a bit about how excited I was for intl travel, she commented that the flight had the "pod seats" and should be a great flight, etc.

(I would NOT have called if the deal were still open, and just taken the loss and/or rebooked.)

One of my best airline experiences ever; totally unexpectedly so.
It sounds to me like the agent was sympathetic; since the fare wasn't still available they needed to call Tariff to use the fare as of the original ticketing date, and possibly needed to call someone else to apply a waiver to use the historic fare; the $1 was probably a currency conversion difference. An amazingly great outcome, congratulations.
rdlmitedu likes this.
anabolism is offline  
Old Oct 12, 21, 11:29 am
  #366  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Posts: 8,777
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
You would need to perform the change after you have flown the first leg ( CMN-MAD ) otherwise, any applicable fare difference would be collected as changes based on historic faring only apply for changes made after you have commenced your itinerary.
My reading of the fare rules is that changes that only affect the inbound are permitted using the fare as of the previous ticketing before commencement of travel.

In Category 16: Penalties

CALCULATION FOR REISSUES

//CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE//
WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
-----
WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR
CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF TICKET

REISSUE WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
--------------------------------------------------

//CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE//

THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.

Then, in Category 31: Voluntary changes:

REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED
PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET-
1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT
2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST
BE DOMESTIC
3. AA/JL/QF ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT EOU/ERU ARE USED
4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET
5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO
DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT
anabolism is offline  
Old Oct 13, 21, 5:36 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phx, AZ
Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 654
For those who have already flown this fare... were you able to / try to change the other flights after your first segment? Just need some data base since my trip will be in January and I'm planning to change the flight while layover in LHR. Thank you in advance.
flyer89 is offline  
Old Oct 13, 21, 5:41 pm
  #368  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
For those who have already flown this fare... were you able to / try to change the other flights after your first segment? Just need some data base since my trip will be in January and I'm planning to change the flight while layover in LHR. Thank you in advance.
How long is your layover? Unless I had an overnight layover AND my onward connection was on AA metal, I would be pretty worried about leaving it so close to departure to make that type of change.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Oct 13, 21, 5:57 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phx, AZ
Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 654
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
How long is your layover? Unless I had an overnight layover AND my onward connection was on AA metal, I would be pretty worried about leaving it so close to departure to make that type of change.
Arrive at 7PM, leaving the next day at 10AM, so doable I think, I can always fly the whole outbound first CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA and then make changes to the return flights once I'm back in PHX. Just thought I can just change to CMN-MAD-LHR-PHX.
flyer89 is offline  
Old Oct 13, 21, 5:59 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
Arrive at 7PM, leaving the next day at 10AM, so doable I think, I can always fly the whole outbound first CMN-MAD-LHR-MIA and then make changes to the return flights once I'm back in PHX. Just thought I can just change to CMN-MAD-LHR-PHX.
I don't think you can route via PHX. The fare was allowing ORD, but I don't think you could go any further west than that.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Oct 13, 21, 9:39 pm
  #371  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phx, AZ
Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 654
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
I don't think you can route via PHX. The fare was allowing ORD, but I don't think you could go any further west than that.
Ah I see! We'll see how it goes... reading from previous similiar fares, when there are human interventions occur... HIP check went out the windows... worse case, I can just keep everything the same and just change the return date, that's more important. Thanks for the reply
flyer89 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 12:33 am
  #372  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, AC, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 3,442
I don't think moving to an AA-coded/BA-operated flight between LHR and the US is possible, at least not on the F fare:

Flight Applications
FLIGHT APPLICATION - IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN NORTH AMERICA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THEFOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9K. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 2 ON ONEOR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY I2 ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BYYW. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EUROPE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AAFLIGHT OPERATED BY IB.
danger is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 7:37 am
  #373  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Posts: 1,035
Was thinking about this earlier - the newly filed CAS-MIA fare allows routing on Royal Air Maroc CMN-LHR, if there's a schedule change maybe that can be requested
our_kid is offline  
Old Oct 20, 21, 7:57 am
  #374  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,439
Originally Posted by our_kid View Post
Was thinking about this earlier - the newly filed CAS-MIA fare allows routing on Royal Air Maroc CMN-LHR, if there's a schedule change maybe that can be requested
If that were possible it could work out pretty well for people crediting to BA too. CMN LHR is an 80 TP route so you still end up with the same number of tier points (albeit with less Avios) with fewer connections/travel time.
our_kid and GordonMacPherson like this.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Nov 10, 21, 8:19 am
  #375  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,897
Greetings from aboard IB8795, CMN-MAD on Air Nostrum. I'm probably one of the first to fly this fare; a special thank you to American Airlines for honoring it.



I'll be sharing some tips that will hopefully be relevant to people positioning or staying in CMN for the first time.



First, don't be that American guy that showed up at the IB check-in counter earlier expecting to fly back to MIA without a covid test. I thought he was on the same fare, but he's flying direct MAD-MIA. If you do show up without a test, don't be a jerk to the contracted check-in agent and to others around you, such as me, the guy trying to help you out. I even had an emergency test kit I could have given, were you not a complete prick.



In terms of covid testing, CMN has been one of the more sketchy destinations thus far I've encountered. There is NO testing available at CMN airport, and even in the city, testing labs are not readily available. If you have remote covid test kits, now is the time to bring and use them. Anybody with an overnight layover in MAD or LHR can also dodge the US test requirement by getting tested later in Europe. Also, mask wearing in general in Morocco seemed mostly for show and compliance was quite weak. Tourists/foreigners seemed to wear masks more than locals, though businesses/workers had decent compliance.



Note that entering Morocco from the US, you do not need a covid test, just proof of vaccination. But if you stop in UK/Europe, you will need a PCR test done within the last 48h, including LHR and MAD.



T1 is the new terminal and T2 is the old terminal. I flew in with TAP, and they use T2. Iberia/Air Nostrum uses T1. They're both connected to the main terminal.



Immigration in Morocco was straightforward. The taxi from the airport into town is expensive, as the taxis are racketeering. Uber is not available, only Careem, which was quoting $30 one way. For the train geeks and those on a budget, go downstairs and take the train. You'll want to buy a ticket for "Casa Port" downtown. A second-class ticket is 50 Dh and first-class is 70 Dh. The automated ticket machines rejected all my credit cards but the manned counter accepted them. Note the trains run once an hour and take about 45 mins, so plan your time accordingly both ways.



Casablanca is pretty decentralized and spread out, so there's not one "good location" to stay in. I'd imagine most FT'ers would be staying at a handful of American chain hotels. The most relevant areas to a tourist are:


  1. The area around Hassan II Mosque, which is somewhat upscale with the modern Marina shopping center and being very close to Casa Port
  2. The Corniche and Casablanca's beach, where the Four Seasons is (the nicest and most expensive hotel in Casablanca) with many Western restaurants
  3. The Ancienne Medina, and its surrounding which is where the working class gather with some historical and religious attractions, as well as a handful of homestays/hostels
  4. The Arab League Park and surroundings, which is centrally located with many government buildings nearby--but not much in the way of hotels


Hotels like Barcelo and the Hyatt Regency are in a business areas of the city with not much notable around them, but still central. Everything is reasonably walkable in the city if you have stamina, and the red "petit taxis" are available if you can converse in Arabic or French to not be scammed.



Do expect to be solicited if you look foreign. The hassling is not as bad as Cairo, but is there. Keep your wits about, it's a big city so anybody approaching you should be treated with caution. Casablanca has less tourists than other places in Morocco such as Marrakech or Agadir, for better or worse. As with many Muslim countries as well, it's more common for men to be out and about compared to women, though Casablanca did feel a bit more liberal as there were many women in public without abayas/hijabs.



Alcohol: many bars are closed, and it is very hard to find. Many are using covid as a way to stop its sale or consumption. If you really need to drink you may want to pack or buy some from duty-free. As with all Arabic countries you should keep it discreet and not be visibly drunk in public. As an alternative, do as the locals do and sip on an espresso or tea ("shaay") at numerous cafes at the corner of streets, even into the evenings.



Food: it was surprisingly hard to find good Moroccan food, which Moroccans all claim the best is cooked at home. French food and European fast foods in general are abundant. A few seafood places too being by the water. Notable places: Rick's Cafe, a tourist trap but a must for fans of the film Casablanca; Casa Fish for cheap seafood in the old medina, La Sqala for more upscale.



CMN T1 is one of the nicer airports in Africa and modern for RAM passengers, but the RAM Zenith I lounge has no alcohol and no hot food: right now it's just soft drinks and cold sandwiches. The Pearl Priority Pass lounge also does not serve any food for PP users either, but the food is just the same cold offering as in the RAM lounge. There are no real restaurants in the airport, and it's a bit embarassing that there's no Moroccan food either. It's all cafes and French snacks, and one Japanese restaurant. Nevertheless it's clean and comfortable compared to most other airports in Africa.

Hope this helps somebody!
keitherson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread