Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by haroon145
hi do you have any link please
1) You need to find I class availability using ExpertFlyer.com for:
CAI-LHR
LHR-JFK
LAX-HNL
and back

2) You need to find A class availability (and importantly with no I class) on the JFK-LAX flights.

End of April onwards is easier to find.

3) Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ multi-city planner to construct the route.

If you have done it right, it should come out at £1294.

4) Call British Airways (i called the bronze line) and spoon feed them each date + flight number.

5) Pay

It took me a good 2/3 days of figuring stuff out to manage all this. ITA Matrix and ExpertFlyer are not simple tools. Most of the details + hints you'd need are in this thread. If you read all of the pages, you'll probably find your answer. Good luck!
aktchi and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:24 pm

It seems availability has opened up quite a bit for May to July next year.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
It took me a good 2/3 days of figuring stuff out to manage all this. ITA Matrix and ExpertFlyer are not simple tools. Most of the details + hints you'd need are in this thread. If you read all of the pages, you'll probably find your answer. Good luck!
This. ^
Thanks Frequent flyer 101 for your helpful posts. It did take a few days of trial and error to finally get it. Was able to book a February/March CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX//LAX-HNL-LAX//LAX-JFK-LHR-CAI RT with JFK-LAX-JFK in A. $1,714 and 1,290 TPs. Now working on round 2.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
My comments in BLUE.

Originally Posted by rajeshh
Hi all, Thanks for being patient and helpful.

when I check availability on expertflyer, I see availability on days in December which dont show up on your list. @aktchi mentioned this maybe because they are assigned to different sale countries. How does your availability match that of expertflyer? Is there a way to find sale country in expertflyer?

In EF you can specify the purchasing city in Fare Information. In ITA on the main search page. If you don't specify the sale city, both EF and ITA default to the departure city and can have unpredictable consequences. Certain fares may not be offered in this country or that. So best to specify something reasonable yourself. This is not rocket science, but still somewhat tedious and time consuming.

The cheapest fare I am finding in ITA is with sale city of LHR. However as others have pointed, have not been able to replicate booking with any websites like expedia, priceline etc. amextravel is closest in price but still $2000. What is the best option to book?

As for booking, there are a few options:
(1) Take your ITA output to Book With Matrix.
(2) Install ITA Power Tools and go to one of the links. In my experience works best on Firefox.
(3) Try google flight.
(4) Call BA. We all love working online, but often reservation agents can see more info than provided on consumer websites. Be ready to feed them flight times (works better than flight numbers in practice).
(5) Try similar at any major OTA, ie, call and request specific flights.

Regarding options (4) and (5) it would obviously be preferable to avoid times when the phone agents may be super-busy. Try to find a less hectic time.

Also if there are 4 free stopover, I should be able to add 5 sectors in ITA without price increasing significantly, correct?...

Yes, but only if the lowest booking class is available on all flights those dates. Check ITA output for fares being used and see if it is the same you saw at EF.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 15, 2017 at 12:36 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:18 am

Also, here are screenshots of how I got ITA Matrix to work:

And my flights that I booked:

Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: NZ
Can someone please confirm the maximum validity of this ticket? I can see the fare being available but I can't find the fare rules.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minz56
Can someone please confirm the maximum validity of this ticket? I can see the fare being available but I can't find the fare rules.
As with most airline tickets, the ticket will be valid for changes and refunds for one year, starting from the day on which first travel on the ticket commences.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Without wishing to spoil anyone's party please be aware that Egyptian Presidential elections are due to take place some time during the period 8 February - 8 May 2018. What degree of disruption/turmoil this may cause is anyone's guess, but recent history has not been encouraging in that regard.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Without wishing to spoil anyone's party please be aware that Egyptian Presidential elections are due to take place some time during the period 8 February - 8 May 2018. What degree of disruption/turmoil this may cause is anyone's guess, but recent history has not been encouraging in that regard.
My parade may have just been rained on....booked a nice few days in HNL starting from CAI, departing April 25th, 2018. 1,260 Tier points for £1,306 which is not too shabby. First time using ITA Matrix as well so thanks for the tips everybody. Now just keeping my fingers and toes crossed that peace breaks out
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL

Entered identical info and it's showing LE57,507 (around £2400)

Update: had to add "London" as sales city at the bottom, that fixed it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
entered identical info and it's showing LE57,507 (around £2400)
With the sales city set to London?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just booked a 2nd one this afternoon. One thing I discovered is that ITA doesn't show all the available flight options even though there can be plenty of I inventory on other unlisted flights. Also, married segments will frequently show I inventory while individual point-to-point flights may not. As long as EF shows I (or I0/IL on the BA JFK-LAX codeshares), the $1,714 fare should be bookable in I/A on the phone with BA or Amex.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

And my flights that I booked:

Has anyone been able to book all segments with BA codes, and the transcon in A, for $1700-1800? Because for AA flyers the A class fare doesn't help if you get two other segments with AA codes, from an EQD perspective it's a wash or probably worse...

Also, is it possible to get a stopover at ORD for less than $2k?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Airprox
Only if you go in the next month or so. From mid-November there won't be a B77W operating MIA-LAX anymore, so no 3-class/A-class flights. In Feb/Mar a B772 comes to the route briefly, but 2-class.
My flight just got downgraded from 77W to 772 it's better to stick with JFK-LAX transcon I guess...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
One thing I discovered is that ITA doesn't show all the available flight options even though there can be plenty of I inventory on other unlisted flights. Also, married segments will frequently show I inventory while individual point-to-point flights may not. As long as EF shows I (or I0/IL on the BA JFK-LAX codeshares), the $1,714 fare should be bookable in I/A on the phone with BA or Amex.
Once you locate availability (i.e. through EF), you can always dictate your desired specific flights in ITA by means of their specific flight numbers. @:-)

If you're successful in constructing your ideal itinerary on ITA, in addition to calling BA or AMEX, you can simply email the the ITA itinerary to your regular, friendly travel agent. Powertools doesn't work too well with these fares; AA Germany typically works very well on tickets you're happy to book on 001 ticket stock, and Delta Germany also works a charm on most every ST itinerary; Priceline can often ticket complex itineraries, but I'd advise using them primarily for tickets where you're uncomfortable working directly with an airline or friendly TA ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.