Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Expedia.ca $300 coupon on packages (new terms)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Here's a cached file of the previous terms posted prior on this thread:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...r/save300.html

Although the cached language says it captured this page on November 27, it was posted here on November 20 by Nutternet (see post # 1322).

I suppose that you could argue, if you had screen shots and time stamps and booked on November 20 before the changes, that the cancellation clause does not apply to you. But if you booked on the 19th, Expedia could always argue that the promotion did not begin until the 20th (which was in their original terms).

Given that Expedia's current position, noted by other posters who have called when attempting changes, is that ANY change or cancellation will cause the C$300 voucher amount to be charged to your credit card, I would think no-showing would be preferable to cancellation, even at the risk of losing the residual "value" of the airfare after an airline change fee. (The weather waivers are probably an exception).

We have several reports here already of people who no-showed either the flight or the hotel, without problems or additional charges. But I do not believe we have even ONE report of someone who cancelled or changed the flight, paid a change fee to the airline, and recouped the balance for future usage. THAT would really be amazing, I think!

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Dec 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Here's a cached file of the previous terms posted prior on this thread:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...r/save300.html

Although the cached language says it captured this page on November 27, it was posted here on November 20 by Nutternet (see post # 1322).

I suppose that you could argue, if you had screen shots and time stamps and booked on November 20 before the changes, that the cancellation clause does not apply to you. But if you booked on the 19th, Expedia could always argue that the promotion did not begin until the 20th (which was in their original terms).

Given that Expedia's current position, noted by other posters who have called when attempting changes, is that ANY change or cancellation will cause the C$300 voucher amount to be charged to your credit card, I would think no-showing would be preferable to cancellation, even at the risk of losing the residual "value" of the airfare after an airline change fee. (The weather waivers are probably an exception).

We have several reports here already of people who no-showed either the flight or the hotel, without problems or additional charges. But I do not believe we have even ONE report of someone who cancelled or changed the flight, paid a change fee to the airline, and recouped the balance for future usage. THAT would really be amazing, I think!
I think my option now is just to no show everything.

All in all, this will cost me $300 - I've made more expensive mistakes.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jetfuel44
I think my option now is just to no show everything.

All in all, this will cost me $300 - I've made more expensive mistakes.
Will it cost you $300 additional (in your money) or just the loss of the $300 voucher? (i.e., did you have a $600 trip booked, for which you paid $300 after using the coupon?) If so, better to lose $300 than $600 when they charged the coupon back to you after cancellation...

If you had a $300 trip booked, and applied the coupon, and then no-showed, you will have "lost" nothing except a free trip!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:07 pm

Will it cost you $300 additional (in your money) or just the loss of the $300 voucher? (i.e., did you have a $600 trip booked, for which you paid $300 after using the coupon?) If so, better to lose $300 than $600 when they charged the coupon back to you after cancellation...

If you had a $300 trip booked, and applied the coupon, and then no-showed, you will have "lost" nothing except a free trip!
Spent $150 on top of the voucher.... and another $150 on a priceline hotel...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:13 pm

Spent $150 on top of the voucher.... and another $150 on a priceline hotel...
Rats...sorry about that!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does this mean I could always fight that their T&Cs changed after my booking?
Good luck for that pursuit.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:21 pm

Also, I just noticed that ALL the terms and conditions of this promotions, at their various stages, are included in the first post in this thread. There were two changes made on November 20: one around noon and one in the late afternoon, and BOTH included the "cancellation" language above.

The original terms did not, but did note that the promotion only began on November 20, and many of us booked on the 19th.

It would be an uphill battle to argue the cancellation provisions did not apply to your booking, I think, regardless of when you booked.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should keep it in perspective that the "value" would not be there had it not for the Expedia Voucher.

Some of you try to capitalize further from this snafu should think twice before launch your tricks - you may end up finding yourself in a Net Loss position when the voucher value is charged back to your card, and you dont have any leg to stand on if you try to dispute this with your CC for Expedia can always show its Ts and Cs on this promo even the original version, and the CC may see it the way Expedia sees it!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
We should keep it in perspective that the "value" would not be there had it not for the Expedia Voucher.

Some of you try to capitalize further from this snafu should think twice before launch your tricks - you may end up finding yourself in a Net Loss position when the voucher value is charged back to your card, and you dont have any leg to stand on if you try to dispute this with your CC for Expedia can always show its Ts and Cs on this promo even the original version, and the CC may see it the way Expedia sees it!
Exactly! (I was trying to say this in a softer way...)
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az
Which city?
sorry vegas!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly! (I was trying to say this in a softer way...)
Yeah, I notice your quotation marks put on value.

I just try to be the voice of reason to spell it all out especially for some of the new FTers who read this thread... but not closely nor carefully, as evidenced by there are still questions about cancellation versus no show (hoping to salvage something that turned sour...) If you are not able to go just treat your initial out of pocket as spilled milk - sometimes you win sometimes you lose in a situation like that and just move on.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:47 pm

I asked - they said no changes or the fee is applied.

I am just going to no-show.

Anyone know any secrets to getting a priceline refund?
ye tell them there's a death in the family and be ready to provide funeral services info...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:55 pm

does anyone have any throw away rooms that i can use on the 11th and or the 14th in las vegas i would really appreciate it thanks
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by cooljoe613
ye tell them there's a death in the family and be ready to provide funeral services info...
Come on! Better to loose money...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cooljoe613
why not try to go even lower?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.