Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by aktchi
No. While T1-T2-T3 are connected airside, T5 is isolated. You can't even walk there from other terminals; you must take the airport train, and go through security again.
The only other option AFAIK is for AA-BA connection. BA runs a shuttle from T3 to T5 inside security, but only for their own passengers. Limited schedule, too, to coincide with BA departures to LHR.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by italdesign
How about international T5, can I reach it airside from any domestic T?
It's possible if you're doing an AA --> BA connection. They provide a shuttle bus if you have a BA boarding pass.

edit: oops, I see it was already answered.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
The nearer station (Dearborn/Washington) is a small one, lacking in escalators/elevators at least from the street level. (Only Blue Line comes here, so no possibility of confusion on that front.)
If I'm not mistaken, entering the station via Block 37 should offer accessible access to the station via the Pedway.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Good observation! This will save about 1 block of walk. Actually this nicely illustrates the choice one often faces-

The nearer station (Dearborn/Washington) is a small one, lacking in escalators/elevators at least from the street level. (Only Blue Line comes here, so no possibility of confusion on that front.)

The farther station (Clark/Lake) is a major hub with more staff, more facilities, and especially escalators and elevators.

Whether or not that is worth walking an extra block will depend on each person, his mood, and how much luggage he has.

I can imagine making both choices under different circumstances.
Unless you enter through the Daley Center (Dearborn/Randolph), which has escalators down to the pedway/Blue Line.

Originally Posted by linglingfool
If I'm not mistaken, entering the station via Block 37 should offer accessible access to the station via the Pedway.
You are not mistaken.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:54 am

Just as an FYI. QR will be leaving Terminal 3 for departures and moving over to T5 around November 1st.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by ords
Just as an FYI. QR will be leaving Terminal 3 for departures and moving over to T5 around November 1st.
Seems like a step backward in the overall experience. Now if you're connecting from an AA domestic flight you'll have to change terminals. I wonder if there's any progress on having an airside terminal shuttle available for all passengers? Or is it still only going to be for BA?

I wonder why QR is making this change? Did they get tired of having to be towed between terminals every time?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by arabiamark
Seems like a step backward in the overall experience. Now if you're connecting from an AA domestic flight you'll have to change terminals. I wonder if there's any progress on having an airside terminal shuttle available for all passengers? Or is it still only going to be for BA?

I wonder why QR is making this change? Did they get tired of having to be towed between terminals every time?
My understanding it was several issues with AA, lack of promised space to build out their own lounge, the gate (L10) if you've been over there you know how it is ...I don't know all the details but QR decided long term their interest would be better suited at T5.

I haven't asked about the busing in a while so I'm not sure where that stands. I do know there's some discussion of expanding the gate hold areas of a few of the gates.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:47 am

My understanding it was several issues with AA, lack of promised space to build out their own lounge
Does that mean they plan to build out their own lounge in T5?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:21 am

There's been some initial planning, engineering and architectural studies taking place to expand some of the gate hold rooms. In addition to this, building up 1-2 levels for lounge space along the gate areas.

For instance, EK's requirement is 9000 sq-ft for their lounges in the U.S. As of now there's nothing available at T5 of that size. Yet, they desire to build one and my understanding QR too.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:41 pm

There's been some initial planning, engineering and architectural studies taking place to expand some of the gate hold rooms. In addition to this, building up 1-2 levels for lounge space along the gate areas.

For instance, EK's requirement is 9000 sq-ft for their lounges in the U.S. As of now there's nothing available at T5 of that size. Yet, they desire to build one and my understanding QR too.
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. ^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:42 pm

Nearly 2 hours between connecting flights, T5 worth visiting?

From T1 (flying UA domestic).

If for nothing else, to just get a decent cappuccino at Metropolis Coffee

Will I have to clear security on return to T1? (I have PreCheck, so that might help speed up things a bit)

Edit: I think I answered many of my questions ... approx 35 mins each way!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
From T1 (flying UA domestic).

If for nothing else, to just get a decent cappuccino at Metropolis Coffee

Will I have to clear security on return to T1? (I have PreCheck, so that might help speed up things a bit)

Edit: I think I answered many of my questions ... approx 35 mins each way!
If you want to do some sightseeing, stay airside and walk through T1/T2/T3. 2 hours really isn't all that long, and you don't want to risk having to go through security again.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by linglingfool
If you want to do some sightseeing, stay airside and walk through T1/T2/T3. 2 hours really isn't all that long, and you don't want to risk having to go through security again.
I definitely support this. There is plenty in T1/T2/T3 to pass 2 hours and one can remain airside, not having to deal with security again.

Unless OP wants the thrill of riding the airport train, a visit to T5 may not be that interesting. Most of the interesting stuff is airside, which he may not be able to get to with his T1 bp (not sure about this).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Plus, yesterday the precheck line was open in T1, and only a couple of people in line. Yet, the TSA checker kept sending everyone over the long line. It was ridiculous. So even if you have precheck, you may still have to get in a long line.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:57 pm

Question About Connection - T3 - Ohare

Connecting at Ohare Terminal 3 - Not much time to spare
How long to walk from Gate G7 to K12 ?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.