Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by guy44134
I've heard that AA's ticket counters will remain at the north end of the terminal even after the move to C. Today, I noticed today that AA has already given up some of its ticket counter space and is now at the extreme north end of the terminal. Not sure if another airline will take the vacated space near the entrance to the A security checkpoint.
It could possibly be for another airline, perhaps Alaska or Vigrin America, although we all know that the likelihood of this happening is very slim.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:36 pm

I will be taking a flight out of CLE this friday around 10am. How long should I expect to wait in security?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by oscar555
I will be taking a flight out of CLE this friday around 10am. How long should I expect to wait in security?
All security checkpoints are now re-opened. I would allow myself 1.5 hours unless you have pre-check, then a bit less. I don't know what airline you are flying or if you have elite status on any airline, but A security checkpoint seems to back up quite a bit, so I would check out C first.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: AA US
I use Concourse A security about two weeks ago at 10AM and had almost no wait.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by guy44134
All security checkpoints are now re-opened. I would allow myself 1.5 hours unless you have pre-check, then a bit less. I don't know what airline you are flying or if you have elite status on any airline, but A security checkpoint seems to back up quite a bit, so I would check out C first.
Originally Posted by RobS
I use Concourse A security about two weeks ago at 10AM and had almost no wait.
I will be flying the one and only jetBlue. I had a UA flight last year at about this time and security was maybe 5 minutes which was a huge surprise to me. I guess at this time the initial morning rush 5-9 is pretty much over since the late morning/early afternoon is kind of dead at CLE.

Thanks for the info though! I will definitely make sure to leave early on Friday.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
On the precheck front my emails to the airport voicing my dissatisfaction have even been acknowledged (in chatting with other travellers this seems par for the course)

I wrote to 1Kvoice about the lack of Pre-check at Concourse C, which requires checking in at United, walking back to B, and then walking back to the C gates.

Response:
"Our goal is to provide a seamless experience from the moment you book
your flight until you arrive safely at your destination.

Based on your comments, it appears that we have room to improve with our
check-in process and security clearance. Please be assured that we
understand your concerns. I have included your feedback in a report for
appropriate internal action at the Cleveland airport.

We're always glad to hear from our MileagePlus Premier 1K members. Thank
you for flying the friendly skies."
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
It looks like they were quite careless with some details (Pre only at B, AA counter staying at one end when its gates move to the other end) which could have been done right with all the suffering through the renovation work. Elite Access and Pre were always a breeze at C; I hope they haven't screwed that up but it is going to be a pain to check bags at UA's counters and then schlep to B checkpoint and then fight through the food court to get to the C gates. And why would AA/US want to transport checked baggage from the belt at their current counter space down to C versus something closer? It seems like there was either no thought about these things or deliberate screwing up!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAzip
It looks like they were quite careless with some details (Pre only at B, AA counter staying at one end when its gates move to the other end) which could have been done right with all the suffering through the renovation work. Elite Access and Pre were always a breeze at C; I hope they haven't screwed that up but it is going to be a pain to check bags at UA's counters and then schlep to B checkpoint and then fight through the food court to get to the C gates. And why would AA/US want to transport checked baggage from the belt at their current counter space down to C versus something closer? It seems like there was either no thought about these things or deliberate screwing up!
With those combined with the decision to prohibit parking shuttles from picking up/dropping off on the terminal drive/curbside I came to the conclusion last week that everything the airport did with the renovations was intentionally designed to inconvenience as many airport users as possible (other alternative: they talked to absolutely no one who uses Hopkins more than once a year).

The fact that in the past week the contact form, Facebook, and emailing Mr. Szabo directly have all yielded 0 response (not even the "thanks, your comments have been dully filed in the circular file" type reply that 1K Voice yielded) speaks volumes of the contempt IMO.

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Jul 5, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
With those combined with the decision to prohibit parking shuttles from picking up/dropping off on the terminal drive/curbside...

They haven't reversed that since the construction completed?

Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wooglin
They haven't reversed that since the construction completed?

Per CLE's facebook page that is a permanent change (though the Park Place drivers tell me officially they've never been told it's anything other than temporary, unofficially they knew it would stay this way for a while)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Per CLE's facebook page that is a permanent change (though the Park Place drivers tell me officially they've never been told it's anything other than temporary, unofficially they knew it would stay this way for a while)
Does this mean the "temporary" rental car pickup on the side of the building at the very end of baggage claim and down the ghetto looking tent hallway is now permanent?

I was at CLE over memorial day and that was still in use but I guess I was under the impression that the rental cars would be moving back to picking up on the curb like they used to do near the UA doors.

It's a good evening exercise fast walking all the way from C23 on a UA arrival to that rental car shuttle...

On a side note.. with B now being Pre only, is there any chance the C security exit is open later again like it used to be? Or do they still funnel all arriving passengers down the one hallway @ B ....
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
On a side note.. with B now being Pre only, is there any chance the C security exit is open later again like it used to be? Or do they still funnel all arriving passengers down the one hallway @ B ....
Exit at C was open the last time I was through there (a couple weeks ago). Of course, getting to the baggage claim level from there was still a chore at that time.

Everything used to be laid out so well, especially for it being a hub operation with an at least slightly larger fraction of transfer passengers. Now that it's almost entirely O/D traffic, they redo it to make it even harder on O/D people with gates at opposite end of terminal from ticket counter, security at either end but not in the middle for most pax (flying Delta or WN? Schlep on down to A or C and then backtrack!), the parking shuttle crap......what were they thinking? (Probably they were NOT thinking unless they were thinking nefariously. I'm hoping that we can chalk it up to not blaming on evil what could be blamed on stupidity, but who knows.)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAzip
Exit at C was open the last time I was through there (a couple weeks ago). Of course, getting to the baggage claim level from there was still a chore at that time.

Everything used to be laid out so well, especially for it being a hub operation with an at least slightly larger fraction of transfer passengers. Now that it's almost entirely O/D traffic, they redo it to make it even harder on O/D people with gates at opposite end of terminal from ticket counter, security at either end but not in the middle for most pax (flying Delta or WN? Schlep on down to A or C and then backtrack!), the parking shuttle crap......what were they thinking? (Probably they were NOT thinking unless they were thinking nefariously. I'm hoping that we can chalk it up to not blaming on evil what could be blamed on stupidity, but who knows.)
Good to know. C used to always be open even for the late (post midnight) arrivals but then post hub closure I think I remember it going down to 10pm? Could be wrong..

Maybe when AA relocates they'll open it later again.. but I won't hold my breath.

I couldn't agree more about the layout, I used to have no issue with it and was a big CLE supporter. As I've traveled more, I realize what a dump CLE is. Plus people laugh when I tell them how CLE thought it was a good idea to tear down a long term garage (yes I understand it was old) but replace it with surface canopy lots and now the parking rates have conveniently gone up what, over 50%??

Happy to be living in TPA now with a well run and award winning airport. Not to mention the (almost) no wait security lines. Always a nice refresher when I get back from my very frequent CLE trips...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Good to know. C used to always be open even for the late (post midnight) arrivals but then post hub closure I think I remember it going down to 10pm? Could be wrong..

Maybe when AA relocates they'll open it later again.. but I won't hold my breath.

I couldn't agree more about the layout, I used to have no issue with it and was a big CLE supporter. As I've traveled more, I realize what a dump CLE is. Plus people laugh when I tell them how CLE thought it was a good idea to tear down a long term garage (yes I understand it was old) but replace it with surface canopy lots and now the parking rates have conveniently gone up what, over 50%??

Happy to be living in TPA now with a well run and award winning airport. Not to mention the (almost) no wait security lines. Always a nice refresher when I get back from my very frequent CLE trips...
Should have included the word "late" in the reply--it was indeed late evening when the C exit was open--later than planned with weather delaying my flight 1.5 hours. I figured I'd be walking through the food court but was surprised to not be. The entry for C security was closed at that time, of course, but you could exit there.

It is shocking how much the parking rates went up lately. It is almost criminal. The old garage with its spiral ramps was needed, and should have been replaced if it couldn't be saved. Demolishing the glass walkway across the new garage that connected to the old one sure looked wasteful, but not as wasteful as demolishing the old garage and replacing it with surface lots. The management seems to have taken an extra stupid pill.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:39 pm

The shuttle thing was designed to inconvenience people who use off-site parking. Period. They want everyone using their "convenient" on-site parking (which, of course, is a ripoff and artificially scarce due to being all surface lots). Honestly, this airport has zero long-term planning. Our newest concourse was built as a midfield (stupid) and can't accommodate anything except regionals (stupid since now it's rotting away) and displaced rental cars to a location which is confusing to visitors (stupid), and the runways are too short (was even more stupid when we had a hub) and our customs station, which I've never experienced, sounds lovely. But hey, the check in area does look really nice (it honestly does, except for the baggage screeners over by Delta check-in which is really ugly and had a huge pile of bags waiting to be screened when I checked in last week)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.