Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If you had been here in ~2011 and before it was a very SkyTeam friendly airport with the Continental hub we had... missed it by > < that much

Though most of my early adult flying was SkyTeam (NW and CO), I swore I'd never fly DL again on August 23, 2004. Might be up for parole in a couple more years but until then I can sympathize but can't say I'm sorry... If you're ever tempted by the dark side I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the best above the wing people in the industry
Today's DL is nothing like 2004 DL. It's the best of what CO was back in those days.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:33 pm
RNE

The Sheraton Cleveland Airport Hotel is Millions of Dollars in Debt —cleveland.com
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Doesn't sound terribly positive.

David
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Doesn't sound terribly positive.

David
I wish I could find the primary source documents that the article is based on but looking at the Simmons Bank filing and a few other common pleas cases naming the ownership as a defendant over the past 4-5 years it certainly doesn't paint a rosy picture. One of the exhibits in a lawsuit from Johnson Controls over a fire alarm fix implies that the "A wing" -- I'm guessing the 2-3 story block closest to 237 -- is slated for demolition 'soon' (I'm also guessing that that's the original 1950s portion of the hotel)

On the other hand, given the hotel lease runs until 2048 and the airport's master plan has no place for an on-airport hotel (was stated during one of the public meetings that there was no need since we weren't a hub, etc.) I partially wonder if the airport is using this as an excuse to remove a potential obstacle to redevelopment in addition to solving a business problem. But the airport isn't exactly known for making decisions that improve the passenger experience (see "ground transportation center" that's as inconvenient as possible, demolition of long-term garage and perennial parking shortages, etc.)
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Saw this gem in the CLE "Smart" garage a couple weeks ago.

ewoo likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paule123
Saw this gem in the CLE "Smart" garage a couple weeks ago.

Doesn't look terribly positive.

David
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Saw this QR A340 parked at the A gates around 3:45 on April 18.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Saw this QR A340 parked at the A gates around 3:45 on April 18.
I saw it this morning parked over near parking shuttle dropoff. I was wondering if it was a diversion? private charter to the Clinic? New nonstop service to DOH?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
I saw it this morning parked over near parking shuttle dropoff. I was wondering if it was a diversion? private charter to the Clinic? New nonstop service to DOH?
There was a Middle East (couldn't figure out exactly whos flag was on the tail) VIP 747 parked by the FBO for a week or two in March -- wondering if that portion of the Clinic's clientele is catching up on care after two years of restrictions. Can't say I remember seeing Qatar in Cleveland though.

FlightAware doesn't show any Qatar (QTR) flights into Cleveland in the past 1000 arrivals going back to last Sunday -- nor am I seeing any QTR departures (or any 4-engined airbii either direction for that matter) so I feel like I'm either missing it and it's right in front of me or it flew in under the radar.

@BasedinCLE did you happen to notice the registration? (The wings in the pick are perfectly positioned to not see it)

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Apr 18, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:40 pm

There was a Middle East (couldn't figure out exactly whos flag was on the tail) VIP 747 parked by the FBO for a week or two in March -- wondering if that portion of the Clinic's clientele is catching up on care after two years of restrictions. Can't say I remember seeing Qatar in Cleveland though.

FlightAware doesn't show any Qatar (QTR) flights into Cleveland in the past 1000 arrivals going back to last Sunday -- nor am I seeing any QTR departures (or any 4-engined airbii either direction for that matter) so I feel like I'm either missing it and it's right in front of me or it flew in under the radar.

@BasedinCLE did you happen to notice the registration? (The wings in the pick are perfectly positioned to not see it)
I got a pic of it this morning - the number under the wing is A7-AAH
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
A7-AAH

CPD officer was stationed outside gate A3 where the aircraft was parked, so I’m going to assume it’s a Middle Eastern VIP visiting the Clinic.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:53 pm

Bizarre, A7-AAH is a Qatari A340-313 that has no recent flight history anywhere I've looked and according to at least one resource, has been supposedly parked (location unknown, but in the US that's typically somewhere Southwest, and I'm sure there are plenty of places closer to home) since February.

Flightradar24 pretends the aircraft doesn't exist, planefinder.net reports no flights, and Flightaware.com reports "This aircraft (A7AAH) is not available for tracking per request from the owner/operator"

Definitely implies a private/VIP operation
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:03 pm

Looks like it was direct DOH-CLE
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=06a05a

https://www.planespotters.net/hex/06A05A

https://www.planespotters.net/airfra...-flight/epwq6r
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:19 pm

This is a Qatar Amiri Flight Airbus A340-313X (cn 528). It is quite rare for Qatar to fly to CLE. However, there was another Qatar aircraft here back in February:

Before then, the most recent pics I could find were back in May 2009, when an A330 and A340 visited CLE in a week. I would assume these are/were Cleveland Clinic related.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by guy44134
This is a Qatar Amiri Flight Airbus A340-313X (cn 528).
It has a VIP configuration and has just departed CLE climbing through 21650 ft in a northwestern direction.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.