Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Visited The Club in Concourse B for the first time today. It’s a nice addition to the airport, in my opinion, especially if you have Priority Pass. It’s a small space, but the staff are very friendly and I’d say the complementary offerings on par with the United Club (pre-COVID).
Is there free alcohol, too?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by guy44134
Is there free alcohol, too?
Yes, I'd say above-par with domestic club offerings, Johnny Black, Titos, etc... domestic and local beer, average wines.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
  • Aligant starting CAK-PBI we have no PBI service FL operated it a few years might be a good route for UA seasonal
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
British Airways Wants To Fly To Indianapolis

I guess CLE is chopped liver.

British Airways flying to PIT in June not daily have we talked with them population and demand from CLE very similar. Summer flights would be packed. Share aircraft with PIT take 3 days.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
British Airways flying to PIT in June not daily have we talked with them population and demand from CLE very similar. Summer flights would be packed. Share aircraft with PIT take 3 days.
PIT is a Oneworld-heavy flying base which probably makes that route viable for BA.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:50 am

Lufthansa just announced 3x/weekly STL-FRA service for summer 2022. https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsr ... ummer.html

You would think that CLE might have had a better shot at this with its large Star Alliance frequent flyer base and relatively larger UA operation. Apparently, Bayer USA is HQ-ed in St. Louis and they offered $5.52 million in subsidies and forgiven landing fees over 2 years. Wondering if/when any transatlantic service might return to CLE. This is great for STL, but kind of depressing for CLE.

I also wonder where Mayor-Elect Bibb stands on CLE. There's a place to share your ideas with his transition team, and I plan to ask him about his administration's aviation policy. I would encourage people on this board to do the same. Maybe we can produce some momentum around this issue. https://www.teambibb.com/share-your-ideas
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Lufthansa just announced 3x/weekly STL-FRA service for summer 2022. https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsr ... ummer.html

You would think that CLE might have had a better shot at this with its large Star Alliance frequent flyer base and relatively larger UA operation. Apparently, Bayer USA is HQ-ed in St. Louis and they offered $5.52 million in subsidies and forgiven landing fees over 2 years. Wondering if/when any transatlantic service might return to CLE. This is great for STL, but kind of depressing for CLE.

I also wonder where Mayor-Elect Bibb stands on CLE. There's a place to share your ideas with his transition team, and I plan to ask him about his administration's aviation policy. I would encourage people on this board to do the same. Maybe we can produce some momentum around this issue. https://www.teambibb.com/share-your-ideas
$ always talks. I'm also wondering if CLE's strong *A base is offset by proximity to DTW where LH has existing service and some more obvious O&D drivers (Robert Bosch and its subsidiaries has a substantial presence in metro Detroit not to mention the more generic automaker and automaker-supplier cross-pollination between Detroit and Germany. While LH makes the most sense for TATL from CLE (particularly with strong EMEA hub connecting options at FRA) I'm not sure I see a reason for LH to go out of their way or any substantial O&D drivers the way there are with DTW.

It will be interesting to see how STL performs...and if the route sticks around once the subsidies go away....
guy44134 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:38 pm
RNE

RDU lands a new airline and a new international route, with connections to Europe

Note the "connections to" in the headline. Like Iceland isn't in Europe?

RNE, asking on behalf of CLE, "FI, wherefore art thou?"
guy44134 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: UA
UA busy season at CLE

A news story over at Fox 8 has a quote from CLE UA GM about upcoming holiday flights at CLE.
On Monday morning, United Airlines Cleveland GM David Terry is laying out expectations for air travel
this December and January and offer guidance for passengers who are traveling out of CLE in the coming days and weeks.
story: https://fox8.com/news/united-airline...ay-air-travel/
guy44134 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 11:55 pm

Merry Christmas to all been on FLL flights completely packed both directions.
One note the traffic by the terminal so congested this week absolute backup at night.
The airport is so outdated traffic pattern not changed in years why the airport terminal needs completely rebuilt. To bad airport is landlocked.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
$ always talks. I'm also wondering if CLE's strong *A base is offset by proximity to DTW where LH has existing service and some more obvious O&D drivers (Robert Bosch and its subsidiaries has a substantial presence in metro Detroit not to mention the more generic automaker and automaker-supplier cross-pollination between Detroit and Germany. While LH makes the most sense for TATL from CLE (particularly with strong EMEA hub connecting options at FRA) I'm not sure I see a reason for LH to go out of their way or any substantial O&D drivers the way there are with DTW.

It will be interesting to see how STL performs...and if the route sticks around once the subsidies go away....
I wonder have we ever had discussions with British Airways. Maybe between the city and Cleveland Clinic can kick in some money to guarantee profitability of the service. Too bad we can’t share the PIT aircraft on off days.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 29, 2021 at 10:24 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Merry Christmas to all been on FLL flights completely packed both directions.
One note the traffic by the terminal so congested this week absolute backup at night.
The airport is so outdated traffic pattern not changed in years why the airport terminal needs completely rebuilt. To bad airport is landlocked.
Agreed that landside access and general terminal congestion (check-in and security) are two huge issues that the airport's new master plan tries to address. I hope many of you submitted feedback to Mayor-Elect Bibb about CLE:https://www.teambibb.com/share-your-ideas
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA
On board a UA flight departing CLE and I just heard a rare announcement for CLE: “Folks, we’re slightly delayed as we wait for connecting customers to board.” Connecting customers?!? Haven’t heard of such flyers at CLE since the hub days!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
On board a UA flight departing CLE and I just heard a rare announcement for CLE: “Folks, we’re slightly delayed as we wait for connecting customers to board.” Connecting customers?!? Haven’t heard of such flyers at CLE since the hub days!
Wow!

There aren't many but they aren't unheard of either -- particularly with IROPS protection for hub-to-hub flying and the Florida flights certainly add additional options -- I forget from where to CLE a couple months back someone was getting far too wound up about the possibility of missing their connecting flight on arriving in CLE until one of the FAs was like "honey, the next flight I'm working is going to XXX so take a deep breath and you'll be fine."

Actually a couple months ago I was looking at fares for a weekend visit to our place in DC (wife's primary residence for work reasons) and ua.com was willing to do CLE-FLL-IAD (or it may have even been CLE-FLL-EWR-DCA) for something ridiculous like $40 (presumably NK or F9 had a uber cheep Florida fare UA was trying to compete with and end-on-end faring CLE-FLL//FLL-WAS yielded a fare about 1/3 of CLE-WAS. Alas, I was trying to fit the flight into my work day and I couldn't justify it...but it would have been cool to add FLL to my maps (https://my.flightradar24.com/lincolnjkc [only flights that I have complete details for, mostly post-2005] or http://my.flightmemory.com/lincolnjkc [all flights/city pairs I remember flying, including those I don't have full details for])

Wow!

There aren't many but they aren't unheard of either -- particularly with IROPS protection for hub-to-hub flying and the Florida flights certainly add additional options -- I forget from where to CLE a couple months back someone was getting far too wound up about the possibility of missing their connecting flight on arriving in CLE until one of the FAs was like "honey, the next flight I'm working is going to XXX so take a deep breath and you'll be fine."

Actually a couple months ago I was looking at fares for a weekend visit to our place in DC (wife's primary residence for work reasons) and ua.com was willing to do CLE-FLL-IAD (or it may have even been CLE-FLL-EWR-DCA) for something ridiculous like $40 (presumably NK or F9 had a uber cheep Florida fare UA was trying to compete with and end-on-end faring CLE-FLL//FLL-WAS yielded a fare about 1/3 of CLE-WAS. Alas, I was trying to fit the flight into my work day and I couldn't justify it...but it would have been cool to add FLL to my maps (https://my.flightradar24.com/lincolnjkc [only flights that I have complete details for, mostly post-2005] or http://my.flightmemory.com/lincolnjkc [all flights/city pairs I remember flying, including those I don't have full details for])
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 29, 2021 at 10:25 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA MM
Not too oftern for that to happen. Now I'm curious... where we you and they headed?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
When I was shopping flights the other day I noticed a couple of ORD-CLE-EWR in the search results...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.