Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Not too oftern for that to happen. Now I'm curious... where we you and they headed?
RSW
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Connecting customers?!? Haven’t heard of such flyers at CLE since the hub days!
Not common, but ENIAC can route pax through CLE if desired. For instance, EWR-CLE-DEN is as viable as EWR-ORD-DEN.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Not common, but ENIAC can route pax through CLE if desired. For instance, EWR-CLE-DEN is as viable as EWR-ORD-DEN.
You mean this ENIAC?!

pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:34 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
You mean this ENIAC?!
Yes. United Airline's state of the art "electronic brain."
RobS likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Visited The Club in Concourse B for the first time today. It’s a nice addition to the airport, in my opinion, especially if you have Priority Pass. It’s a small space, but the staff are very friendly and I’d say the complementary offerings on par with the United Club (pre-COVID).
The space is much better designed than the previous occupant, the Airspace lounge. Yes, it's small, but a great option for Priority Pass.

See my full thoughts here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33860782-post2.html
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...Qd4TIzrFmAZkac

looks like they are going to incinerate a few billion more...

1) Reno A/C
2) replace B?
3) Demo D and make "E"
4) FIS
5) Bring back the rental car center

I don't understand the point of anything but 4 & 5, with 5 being the most urgent.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...Qd4TIzrFmAZkac

looks like they are going to incinerate a few billion more...

1) Reno A/C
2) replace B?
3) Demo D and make "E"
4) FIS
5) Bring back the rental car center

I don't understand the point of anything but 4 & 5, with 5 being the most urgent.
Have you actually seen the proposed terminal layout and rationale? It makes a great deal of sense. Take a look at the last presentation.

The current terminal is well beyond its useful life. There are huge deficits and chokepoints in its current form, and there is only so much that can be done to retrofit/renovate a structure that is in places over 65 years old (see below).

Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by guy44134
Have you actually seen the proposed terminal layout and rationale? It makes a great deal of sense. Take a look at the last presentation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfY3M3eeKnM&t=2449s

The current terminal is well beyond its useful life. There are huge deficits and chokepoints in its current form, and there is only so much that can be done to retrofit/renovate a structure that is in places over 65 years old (see below).

Still gonna be expensive. And likely insufficient to accommodate the evolution of aviation within the greater Cleveland region.

Good luck for all of us.

David
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't.... until this. It would be nice if the PDFs were easily available somewhere.... scrolling thru the video... I mean... sure. It'll be "nicer".

I'm sure it "makes sense" as in yes it would be a big improvement over the current situation. $2 Billion is a lot of money - so if its coming from PFC's i guess sure whatever. But if it comes out of the city of cleveland's budget I think they have more urgent uses for the cash.

CLE got screwed with CO's de-hubbing, and obviously #'s are down quite a lot. Are the passenger facilities lacking? a bit? I guess? Given that they were built to handle more pax than they have and (despite optimistic forecasts) are likely to have for quite a while, I'm not sure that these really "add" to capacity nor that its necessary. Most of CLE was built in the 60's and 70's with much larger gauge. Unless the buildings are structurally unsound

As I said earlier, the major deficiency as an Ex-clevelander traveling into CLE, is the rental car facility which easily adds a 20 minute buffer each way. The airport itself is easy to get thru in terms of security and walking to the gate. The rest is based on some fantasy that CLE is going to have steady growth in passenger #'s, I just don't see where that would be coming from.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
CLE got screwed with CO's de-hubbing, and obviously #'s are down quite a lot. Are the passenger facilities lacking? a bit? I guess? Given that they were built to handle more pax than they have and (despite optimistic forecasts) are likely to have for quite a while, I'm not sure that these really "add" to capacity nor that its necessary. Most of CLE was built in the 60's and 70's with much larger gauge. Unless the buildings are structurally unsound
Hopefully none of the work is done by anyone that something to do with the smart garage (and its predecessor). Otherwise, buy stock in concrete jack/strut support companies!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
Hopefully none of the work is done by anyone that something to do with the smart garage (and its predecessor). Otherwise, buy stock in concrete jack/strut support companies!
LOL yeah it makes you wonder why that ramp on the north end of the "smart" garage has been blocked off and struts in place for the last year (?) and no mention of it anywhere. There's obviously a structural issue with the garage. Protip: When the lot is almost full, you might have luck finding a parking space close to where they've blocked the ramp, with the caveat that your car may be crushed. (I've done it)

As entropy said, it's going to be incinerating millions/billions for minimal benefits. All the complaining about the off site car rental is overrated IMO. It's a short shuttle ride with no traffic. Plenty of other airports have shuttles and we deal with it.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Last edited by paule123; Jan 22, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paule123
LOL yeah it makes you wonder why that ramp on the north end of the "smart" garage has been blocked off and struts in place for the last year (?) and no mention of it anywhere. There's obviously a structural issue with the garage. Protip: When the lot is almost full, you might have luck finding a parking space close to where they've blocked the ramp, with the caveat that your car may be crushed. (I've done it)

As entropy said, it's going to be incinerating millions/billions for minimal benefits. All the complaining about the off site car rental is overrated IMO. It's a short shuttle ride with no traffic. Plenty of other airports have shuttles and we deal with it.
I used to park exclusively on-airport but since shortly after they tore down the long-term garage I've given up except when picking up Ms. LincolnJKC when she's visiting from DCA -- usually plentiful spaces on a Friday evening -- I'm not sure it's been quite a year with the 'smart' garage's braces but they have been there for a while and only seem to multiply. Would be nice if someone said something (or conspiracy hat on: there is no problem but this is setting the stage for an excuse to tear that garage down and further squeeze capacity to inflate rates [no I don't seriously believe that...but I also don't have much trust airport leadership based on the sum of the "improvements" over the past decade being universally traveler-neutral to adverse])

I also don't get the big deal about moving CRAC back on airport -- if it fits into a plan without adversely impacting anything else, so be it ... but it's an easy shuttle ride that I'd say is a virtually expected part of modern air travel when rental cars are included in the journey.

All of that said... CLE's passenger handling (particularly air side) is massively outdated combined with building systems that are EOUL both need significant improvements. I'm hoping whatever "this" actually winds up being executed as makes more of an impact than the millions wasted in 2015-6 (I still can't figure out if anything actually improved from that boondoggle)
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I used to park exclusively on-airport but since shortly after they tore down the long-term garage I've given up except when picking up Ms. LincolnJKC when she's visiting from DCA -- usually plentiful spaces on a Friday evening -- I'm not sure it's been quite a year with the 'smart' garage's braces but they have been there for a while and only seem to multiply. Would be nice if someone said something (or conspiracy hat on: there is no problem but this is setting the stage for an excuse to tear that garage down and further squeeze capacity to inflate rates [no I don't seriously believe that...but I also don't have much trust airport leadership based on the sum of the "improvements" over the past decade being universally traveler-neutral to adverse])

I also don't get the big deal about moving CRAC back on airport -- if it fits into a plan without adversely impacting anything else, so be it ... but it's an easy shuttle ride that I'd say is a virtually expected part of modern air travel when rental cars are included in the journey.

All of that said... CLE's passenger handling (particularly air side) is massively outdated combined with building systems that are EOUL both need significant improvements. I'm hoping whatever "this" actually winds up being executed as makes more of an impact than the millions wasted in 2015-6 (I still can't figure out if anything actually improved from that boondoggle)
Again, what does that mean? "outdated". What do you actually need other than a few food outlets and seating? I hate hate hate the iPad food concept thing that takes away all the usable space. Maybe some extra power outlets. It doesn't need to be a shopping mall, there's not enough traffic in CLE to justify it anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MM
Again, what does that mean? "outdated". What do you actually need other than a few food outlets and seating? I hate hate hate the iPad food concept thing that takes away all the usable space. Maybe some extra power outlets. It doesn't need to be a shopping mall, there's not enough traffic in CLE to justify it anyway.
When you travel a lot, you don't "see" the airport the way others see it. Frequent travelers just get through the airport and are done with it. My wife, OTOH, travels far less and when she walks through CLE she almost instantly notices that the place is a "dump" (her word) and they should do something about it. Objectively, it really is a dump as far as airports go.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
1- Hold rooms that are insufficiently sized for the demand of modern air transportation (both in terms of number of passengers per flight but also amount of time passengers spend waiting for the flight -- the current CLE was designed for a "show up 15 minutes before departure with 60% load factors/100 seat aircraft" era of aviation, not a "show up 90 minutes before departure with 90% LF with 150+ seat aircraft" era)
1a- Hold room configurations create conflicts in circulation between passengers boarding flights and passengers to/from other gates or services
2- Restrooms that are cramped and poorly configured (likely as a result of having to wedge ADA compliant facilities in)
3- Poor security integration/flow, again as a result of evolution in needs since the terminals were built resulting in inefficient resource deployment and higher anxiety levels for passengers
4 -Poor landside passenger circulation with frequent conflicts between ticketing operations (e.g. bag drop, check in) and security operations (e.g. the spill over from those waiting to go through security)
5- Just general building systems EOUL - it doesn't take much to imagine that electrical, plumbing, and HVAC are at or beyond their design lives with the attendant capacity limitations, risk of breakdown, and loss of efficiency.
6- FIS

I don't care about (or really notice) the retail outlets and agree that the OTG concept is annoying.
guy44134 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.