Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Anyone know if UA is displaying an airplane at the CLE AirShow? I know that in recent times, UA flew a B737 and ExpressJet had an RJ145 at BKL for the show.
The website lists the UA 737 participating in the static display.

https://www.clevelandairshow.com/on-...play-aircraft/

Checking the BKL arrivals today now I'm curious about callsign EDDIE91 and the "Sharp Airlines" flights arriving from KLCK (Rickenbacker Intl near Columbus) in rapid succession... wondering if that's the Thunderbirds?

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBKL/arrivals
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.

Last edited by paule123; Sep 3, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
I looked through the logs on Flight Aware and didn't see anything related to the UA 737. In years past I know they've chartered it from CLE.

I did see this gem with one of the thunderbirds practicing. The call sign wasn't being coy about what it was!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...430Z/KCLE/KCLE
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:47 am
RNE

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just got an email from United that they're starting nonstop service from Cleveland to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) on Saturdays in December...

Now the Bahamas (and well, the Caribbean in general) is not my favorite place to visit that's certainly interesting. And preclearance at NAS means no need to meddle with CLE's FIS situation...
I love the Caribbean, but how can one plan a trip, given the turn-on-a-dime COVID-related quarantine requirements or outright bans?

Originally Posted by paule123
Didn't mention that it was only 1 day a week...
And what recourse is there if a return flight is missed?

As far as the Caribbean goes, try St Lucia sometime.
I agree, but St. Maarten is my favorite (though, you have to know where to stay).

RNE, mentioning that I proposed to TSMRSRNE on Orient Beach.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
United wants to fly CLE-NAS this winter. All the service they added this summer it’s a good situation. Lots of UA dedicated flyers still out there.

Anyone know if UA is displaying an airplane at the CLE AirShow? I know that in recent times, UA flew a B737 and ExpressJet had an RJ145 at BKL for the show.

maybe did not participate due to the pendemic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 7, 2021 at 11:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: UA
PD article says UA adding LAS & PHX seasonal to CLE starting in December.
United said it will be flying “the most departures the airline has flown from Cleveland’s Hopkins International Airport since 2014,” the year the carrier closed its hub here.
Full article link
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Just bought a ticket on each NS, PHX and LA$. Thank goodness they brought LA$ back I hope they keep it all year round....Will certainly fill the seats.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:50 am

Also great news for employees crew and maintenance base are probably safe. What other routes do they need to bring back

CLE-PBI seasonal Frontier operated briefly

CLE-LHR at least seasonal

CLE-SEA at least seasonal
plinth857 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Also great news for employees crew and maintenance base are probably safe. What other routes do they need to bring back

Out of these, I think CLE-SEA is most likely. UA seems an unlikely entry for this city pair; I imagine Alaska or Delta would be most likely. Do you think Cleveland/Seattle could generate enough traffic to make a daily nonstop profitable?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM

There are some pretty strong headwinds to a couple of the routes.

I *think* LHR is still slot controlled and can't imagine UA would cannibalize a slot from one of their hubs so they could serve Heathrow out of CLE. Also, neither LHR or CLE (anymore) are *A hubs so there's really not much opportunity for connecting traffic on either end, especially compared to Oneworld at LHR.

SEA... both SkyTeam and Oneworld are stronger than *A there so it's not a big priority for UA to go after more business there.

PBI... is it big enough?

As for CLE, I've heard from a UA employee that talk of eliminating the base was dropped long ago.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:28 am

UA got BOS-LHR route last year but not operating it BOS is a larger city but not a UA hub. Some routes not operating due to the pandemic.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:31 am

UA got BOS-LHR route last year but not operating it BOS is a larger city but not a UA hub. Some routes not operating due to the pandemic.
It's definitely a larger city. BOS has four times the passenger traffic as CLE.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:55 am
RNE

PD article says UA adding LAS & PHX seasonal to CLE starting in December.
Full article link
Ancient scrolls recently excavated in the archaeological digs beneath the ruins of Concourse D shockingly describe there having once been 3-per-day, 7-days-per-week flights between Cleveland and Las Vegas. "Absurd!" and "Nonsense!" say local historians who insist the scrolls are apocryphal. "Cleveland never had it better than it does now," maintains Prof. N. Compoop. "Praise Scott Kirby," says the Grand Poobah of the Cult of United.

RNE, pooh-poohing this marrowless bone United threw us.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
Ancient scrolls recently excavated in the archaeological digs beneath the ruins of Concourse D shockingly describe there having once been 3-per-day, 7-days-per-week flights between Cleveland and Las Vegas. "Absurd!" and "Nonsense!" say local historians who insist the scrolls are apocryphal. "Cleveland never had it better than it does now," maintains Prof. N. Compoop. "Praise Scott Kirby," says the Grand Poobah of the Cult of United.

RNE, pooh-poohing this marrowless bone United threw us.
I am such a fan of the moniker "Grand Poobah" and feel it is criminally underused.
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:11 pm

Maybe establish a mini hub. Add traffic feed for Florida start with BUF and GRR
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:16 pm

Maybe establish a mini hub. Add traffic feed for Florida start with BUF and GRR
Back when CLE was a hub for UA, Jeff $misek made the statement that the airline was losing money on connecting passengers at CLE. No doubt they were making money on O/D traffic, though. We never saw the accounting that went behind his statement (not that we should have) but I can believe it for a couple of reasons: Costs are higher with connecting passengers since they have double the flights and fare are often not as high for those passengers anyway. You need lower fares to entice passengers to make a connection as there are more competitors to deal with

Unless you can make good money on O/D traffic to GRR and BUF, I can't see why UA would have any interest in servicing those cities from CLE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.