Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:50 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Thanks all for sharing this information! I think it'd be a good idea in the wiki for folks to list a last visit/update date so we know how relevant the info is, similar to the lounge thread (as properties do change their offerings sometimes)

I'm also curious if there's an publicly accessible list somewhere of which Marriott properties are managed by which companies? It'd be certainly interesting to see if there are properties not providing full benefits that are under the same franchisee.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some cases, if you go to the managing company's web site, it will list all of their properties.

However, I wish that hotel chains were required to list the owner and managing company on the hotel's website.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here is another noncompliant property:

Marriott Wailea Beach Resort
Maui, Hawaii
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ite-breakfast/
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some cases, if you go to the managing company's web site, it will list all of their properties.

However, I wish that hotel chains were required to list the owner and managing company on the hotel's website.
Keep in mind that a bunch of different companies can be involved with a single hotel:
  • The REIT, pension fund, or other entity that owns the real estate;
  • The company that "owns" the hotel, leasing it from the real estate owner;
  • The company that manages the hotel operations;
  • Various providers to whom parts of the operations are outsourced, such as housekeeping, valet parking, and the restaurant operations;
  • Let's not forget partnerships and joint ventures;
  • And, finally, the company whose brand is on the building.
The only one of those that really matters is the final one.

If the sign says Westin or Marriott or St. Regis or Renaissance or Element or Autograph Collection or any other Marriott brand, then Marriott International is ultimately responsible. The hotel's physical attributes, operations, and elite benefits should comply with brand standards and the guest-facing Terms & Conditions. It's up to Marriott International to communicate standards and expectations to hotels and guests, to enforce those standards, and to provide a process for failures to be identified and corrected promptly.

The vast majority of Marriott's 6700+ hotels comply. Those that don't are damaging their brands, alienating guests, and ultimately hurting Marriott's bottom line.

Marriott could do more to fix this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott could do more to fix this.
Considering the latest property to be named-and-shamed is managed by Marriott International it really raises questions. Big questions.

In this case, the division of corporate that develops and, ultimately, manages properties is not following the "customer-facing," to quote you, terms and conditions the loyalty program has implemented. That's the problem, ultimately. It's pretty egregious to see a property managed by Marriott in open violation of the Marriott breakfast benefit.

Coffee or tea, a pastry and a plastic bowl of fruit is not a compliant breakfast -- especially if you're like Mr. Marriott and because of religion don't drink coffee or tea. If Mr. Marriott's diet prohibits a pastry he, or any or practicing Mormon for that matter, is left with maybe $0.75 in fruit for their "breakfast."
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:34 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't consider the PdG to be in non-compliance...the menu clearly lists the 38 EUR option as the continental one IIRC (might be a pic of it in the property thread). I remember it being of very high quality and sufficient for a meal, even if there wasn't an egg or meat component.

Save this thread for the "coffee and a muffin" properties.

++1
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Here is another noncompliant property:

Marriott Wailea Beach Resort
Maui, Hawaii
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ite-breakfast/
I contacted the general manager, Thomas Foti, regarding the stinginess of the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit and got something better. The Marriott email address format is [email protected]
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Until folks bombard Marriott's executives with email over the holidays, when they don't want to be looking at their phones and corporate email is at a minimum, Marriott won't stop looking the other way. Look at what Flyer Talk did with Delta a year ago or so ago when the airline tried eliminating newspapers from Sky Club lounges. It was only Flyer Talk's emails to Delta executives that made the difference. (None of the blogs had a call-to-action.)

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>

Folks disgusted with their breakfast benefit should also let everyone know on Trip Advisor.
Majority of Marriott’s revenue comes from business travelers. Most employers require employees to book with Marriott, IHG, or Hilton. Many of us are stuck with Marriott by default.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I contacted the general manager, Thomas Foti, regarding the stinginess of the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit and got something better. The Marriott email address format is [email protected]
It's great you "got something better" but most of us would prefer the property to change, as opposed to making exceptions to their noncompliant breakfast for guests who complain.
C17PSGR and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Gladly. I recently stayed there under their "Federal Gov" rate. They charged me an additional $14/day for mandatory breakfast in spite of my status ("we'll just be giving you the points"). For my un-reimbursable investment I got a self-serve buffet no better than what one would expect at a lower-end property. However, beverages were served by tipped staff only, and rang in at $5/small glass for OJ, just for example - in addition to the mandatory $14 breakfast.

One of the two days they put an omelette station out, which hontestly looked nice (I didn't have time to indulge). Naturally the guy put out a tip jar pre-populated ten- and twenty-dollar bills (lest you think just a few bucks or no tip at all would fall within the target zone).

To be fair they gave me a decent room upgrade, they have recently renovated quite nicely, and their location is excellent. Also, all the staff I encountered were super nice and professional. This is simply a management shortcoming borne of pure greed.
They put out a tip jar with 10s and 20s in it already to encourage guests to tip accordingly? That’s about the cheekiest thing I’ve ever heard...

You mentioned being on a special government rate - is that why you got charged the $14 a day for breakfast, or would that apply to the regular rate too? (I imagine in Huntsville, a lot of guests are on the government rare considering NASA and the military presence there.)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
I was just reviewing the Elite Membership General terms and noticed this for the first time....

4.1(c)ii. Local policy may prevail over Loyalty Program standards at Participating Properties, and some Elite membership benefits may not be available at some locations.

Seems to be a nice out to any property which chooses to not honor any or all elite membership perks. Maybe we can find out if there is a list of these properties published by Marriott or how we would know when "local policy prevails" at properties.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, South Beach, Miami. At least they were upfront and asked if I wanted the 750 points instead of breakfast because i was a light continental style (pastries, fruit, not much else). Was disappointed but took the points and went to Starbucks. Can't give you the exact details but seems in line with many of the above Autograph hotels.
When was you stay? I had a stay a couple of months ago at the Winter Haven and had a different experience. I was given a choice of points or breakfast voucher. I do remember the exact amount it was for but covered a good full breakfast. I have some other grievances about this hotel (resort fee, rooms, no upgrade, etc) but breakfast is not one of them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by strickerj
They put out a tip jar with 10s and 20s in it already to encourage guests to tip accordingly? That’s about the cheekiest thing I’ve ever heard...

It would seem so - the tip jar was half full of such bills shortly after the omelette station was set up.

You mentioned being on a special government rate - is that why you got charged the $14 a day for breakfast, or would that apply to the regular rate too? (I imagine in Huntsville, a lot of guests are on the government rare considering NASA and the military presence there.)
Hotels are obviously under no obligation to offer a gov't rate, and they're free to charge more than the gov't has deemed reasonable and still call it a gov't rate. In this specific case, the HSV Westin created a rate which they called something to the effect of "Government Rate with Breakfast." It's just a creative way to add $14/day to the bill even for those:

a) Who don't care for breakfast
b) Have status and would otherwise qualify for a free breakfast

And as noted before, $14 is for either a dry breakfast, or a breakfast with tap water - anything else will cost you extra (and they do not warn of this in advance - they point to very fine print after the fact).

It's not usual for me to spend quite a bit more than I will be reimbursed for - I stay where I will be most comfortable and absorb additional cost which falls within my own definition of reasonable. I just find shenanigans such as these to be very distasteful.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
It would seem so - the tip jar was half full of such bills shortly after the omelette station was set up.

Hotels are obviously under no obligation to offer a gov't rate, and they're free to charge more than the gov't has deemed reasonable and still call it a gov't rate. In this specific case, the HSV Westin created a rate which they called something to the effect of "Government Rate with Breakfast." It's just a creative way to add $14/day to the bill even for those:

a) Who don't care for breakfast
b) Have status and would otherwise qualify for a free breakfast

And as noted before, $14 is for either a dry breakfast, or a breakfast with tap water - anything else will cost you extra (and they do not warn of this in advance - they point to very fine print after the fact).

It's not usual for me to spend quite a bit more than I will be reimbursed for - I stay where I will be most comfortable and absorb additional cost which falls within my own definition of reasonable. I just find shenanigans such as these to be very distasteful.
Agreed, it sounds to me like those mandatory resort fees, which I’ve now given up on fighting.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by strickerj
Agreed, it sounds to me like those mandatory resort fees, which I’ve now given up on fighting.
Ha! Yes, these can actually be quite entertaining. Believe it was the Blue Moon in Miami Beach last year that proudly boasted of free use of one of a small collection of bicycles as the primary feature of their resort fee. I think they smile when they give you their little spiel not so much as to appear friendly, but rather that they just can't keep a straight face through it all.
bhrubin and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.