Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

As suggested by others, its worth having a specific name and shame thread dealing with properties that do not comply with the spirit of the Marriott breakfast benefit. Rather than debating the benefit, this can be an easy list of properties that don't comply.

I'll start with the JW Marriott Santa Monica. It's a nice property but doesn't have a lounge and the only breakfast option is pastries, fruit, and oatmeal -- and no option for eggs or other protein at breakfast. There is no credit toward any menu items either.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is not property-specific, but Delta hotels have a specific exemption in the T&C that allows them to have a "pantry" in lieu of a lounge. More specifically, I recently stayed at the Delta Orlando Lake Buena Vista and made use of the pantry. It is nice in terms of unlimited take-away Pepsi if you're into that sort of thing, but it was basically a failure as far as breakfast was concerned. The only options were self-serve toast with jam/peanut butter, or cereal, and other dry snacks day round like trail mix, candies, etc. Profoundly unhealthy. I did take a couple apples and some small yogurt cups a few times.

I rarely stay at such properties but I thought it was worth noting because Marriott places Delta alongside other FS brands for most benefits but has this specific "Approved Alternative" for them and I personally don't find it to be acceptable.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:46 pm

Wailea Beach Marriott only provides a bare minimum continental breakfast for Plat and Plat Premier members. Coffee and a pastry anyone?

Also has scant other amenities for elite MR members.

Nice property but I will not stay there with such meager offerings for elites.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jbarm
Wailea Beach Marriott only provides a bare minimum continental breakfast for Plat and Plat Premier members. Coffee and a pastry anyone?

Also has scant other amenities for elite MR members.

Nice property but I will not stay there with such meager offerings for elites.
Thomas Foti, the general manager of this stingy property and you can email him to complain about this insulting Platinum Elite breakfast by email with the address format [email protected]
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We had 2 otherwise fine stays at the Davenport Grand (Autograph Collection) 2 years ago. But the platinum breakfast benefit was bad - coffee, juice, and a pastry. It's unfortunate because I travel to the area every year, and when I think about staying in Spokane, I don't think "What a great upgrade they gave us," instead I think, "What a lousy breakfast they gave us."
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
properties that do not comply with the spirit of the Marriott breakfast benefit.
What is the 'spirit' of the benefit? Does it vary by brand and/or geography? Who gets to determine the spirit vs. the Marriott Rewards T&C obligation?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What is the 'spirit' of the benefit?
To provide a breakfast in the form of food sufficient to allow a guest to exist in comfort until the midday meal.

Does it vary by brand and/or geography?
The thread title clearly states that this thread is limited to discussion of full service brands.

Who gets to determine the spirit vs. the Marriott Rewards T&C obligation?
Consumers, who comprise the membership of this forum and who also, by way of their respective purchasing decisions, determine Marriott's revenues and, thus, profitability.
​​​​​​
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by ehallison
We had 2 otherwise fine stays at the Davenport Grand (Autograph Collection) 2 years ago. But the platinum breakfast benefit was bad - coffee, juice, and a pastry. It's unfortunate because I travel to the area every year, and when I think about staying in Spokane, I don't think "What a great upgrade they gave us," instead I think, "What a lousy breakfast they gave us."
Interesting. I stayed in one of the Davenport hotels in August ( I think there are 3) and was allowed to order any entree and coffee/juice on the menu of the attached restaurant.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Interesting. I stayed in one of the Davenport hotels in August ( I think there are 3) and was allowed to order any entree and coffee/juice on the menu of the attached restaurant.
His stay was 2 years ago, so sounds like things have changed for the better.

Cheers.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
They may also have stayed at different properties, since there are three to choose from.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Did Autograph Collection offer free breakfast 2 yrs ago? I read that as fine stays 2 yrs ago, but now that Marriott has upped the expectations with a promise of free breakfast, we have lunch bag letdown!

So guess we are now up to 5 Autograph Collection Hotels that underdeliver.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They may also have stayed at different properties, since there are three to choose from.
All of the Davenport properties in Spokane have the same management team. Should be the same benefit at each of the locations.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:06 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Did Autograph Collection offer free breakfast 2 yrs ago? I read that as fine stays 2 yrs ago, but now that Marriott has upped the expectations with a promise of free breakfast, we have lunch bag letdown!

So guess we are now up to 5 Autograph Collection Hotels that underdeliver.
And at least one that delivers in spades !

Domes of Elounda
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Should be the same benefit at each of the locations.
Never assume...
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Would be helpful if you could identify which of the 3 properties. Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.