Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
As far as Beaver Creek is concerned, I'd recommend elevating. They offer enough for Coffee and a pastry, but even a light continental would at the very least include fruit or something else in addition to that.
Until folks bombard Marriott's executives with email over the holidays, when they don't want to be looking at their phones and corporate email is at a minimum, Marriott won't stop looking the other way. Look at what Flyer Talk did with Delta a year ago or so ago when the airline tried eliminating newspapers from Sky Club lounges. It was only Flyer Talk's emails to Delta executives that made the difference. (None of the blogs had a call-to-action.)

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>

Folks disgusted with their breakfast benefit should also let everyone know on Trip Advisor.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is not property-specific, but Delta hotels have a specific exemption in the T&C that allows them to have a "pantry" in lieu of a lounge. More specifically, I recently stayed at the Delta Orlando Lake Buena Vista and made use of the pantry. It is nice in terms of unlimited take-away Pepsi if you're into that sort of thing, but it was basically a failure as far as breakfast was concerned. The only options were self-serve toast with jam/peanut butter, or cereal, and other dry snacks day round like trail mix, candies, etc. Profoundly unhealthy. I did take a couple apples and some small yogurt cups a few times.

I rarely stay at such properties but I thought it was worth noting because Marriott places Delta alongside other FS brands for most benefits but has this specific "Approved Alternative" for them and I personally don't find it to be acceptable.
We recently stayed at the new Delta in Everett, Seattle and that was the same, absolute rubbish pantry. They flat out refused to give us breakfast in the restaurant (Plat Prem) so we'll never stay at a Delta again. Marriott make breakfast so hard.....Hilton make it so easy.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Until folks bombard Marriott's executives with email over the holidays, when they don't want to be looking at their phones and corporate email is at a minimum, Marriott won't stop looking the other way. Look at what Flyer Talk did with Delta a year ago or so ago when the airline tried eliminating newspapers from Sky Club lounges. It was only Flyer Talk's emails to Delta executives that made the difference. (None of the blogs had a call-to-action.)

Arne Sorenson, CEO <[email protected]>
David Flueck, senior vice president of loyalty <[email protected]>
Justin Biermann, director of loyalty product strategy <[email protected]>
Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>

Folks disgusted with their breakfast benefit should also let everyone know on Trip Advisor.
IMO there are more important issues.....

Returning to the PdG debate, one should realize that breakfast standards are somewhat cultural, although western chain hotels in Asia invariably offer a western breakfast option. In most of Europe (England/Ireland being a notable exception with their famous English breakfast including bacon, fish, hot tomatoes, etc.), breakfast is cold. In Spain, typically one has a pastry and coffee which was also the norm in France until more recently with juice usually being included in a continental breakfast. To me, a good French breakfast is freshly squeezed juice, really good croissants with butter and jam, maybe pain au chocolat or a brioche and some baguette slices if one is starving. A few places also include a glass of champagne in their breakfast buffet. In Germany, I would add cheeses and cold meats and expect much more hearty bread, plus yogurt and (cold) hard boiled eggs. Having (hot) eggs and (hot) bacon/ham/sausage is the definition of an American breakfast (almost always served with wonderbread-like toast rather than good interesting bread and pastries).

PdG has a fancy and extremely good cold breakfast. It's elegant and it's normally expensive. I don't see any reason to complain.
Horace and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO there are more important issues.....

Returning to the PdG debate, one should realize that breakfast standards are somewhat cultural, although western chain hotels in Asia invariably offer a western breakfast option. In most of Europe (England/Ireland being a notable exception with their famous English breakfast including bacon, fish, hot tomatoes, etc.), breakfast is cold. In Spain, typically one has a pastry and coffee which was also the norm in France until more recently with juice usually being included in a continental breakfast. To me, a good French breakfast is freshly squeezed juice, really good croissants with butter and jam, maybe pain au chocolat or a brioche and some baguette slices if one is starving. A few places also include a glass of champagne in their breakfast buffet. In Germany, I would add cheeses and cold meats and expect much more hearty bread, plus yogurt and (cold) hard boiled eggs. Having (hot) eggs and (hot) bacon/ham/sausage is the definition of an American breakfast (almost always served with wonderbread-like toast rather than good interesting bread and pastries).

PdG has a fancy and extremely good cold breakfast. It's elegant and it's normally expensive. I don't see any reason to complain.
Great. If you're happy with the dozens upon dozens of properties that violate either the letter or spirit of Marriott's breakfast benefit then fine. Walk away from this thread. But the reality is many of us are outraged.

Marriott could have said "buffet breakfast" or "continental breakfast" in the applicable provision of the terms. It could have qualified said provision by geography as it's done with other provisions. It didn't. And properties are cheating. Period.

And you know, Marriott is a Mormon company or, at least was nominally. Mormons don't drink coffee. Should Marriott hotels in Utah get away without serving coffee in the morning?
Mister Nice likes this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 30, 2018 at 4:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think we can all agree that a 4* hotel serving a muffin in a plastic container doesn’t meet expectations, but I genuinely don’t understand the problem with the PdG serving a very fine French breakfast in France.

The T&C’s say “breakfast”, and I suggest that reading very specific meanings into the word is a mistake.
Horace, MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
What's the source for identifying property operators? I'd sure like to add the Huntsville, AL Westin to the wiki for their nonsense.
please elaborate
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

The T&C’s say “breakfast”, and I suggest that reading very specific meanings into the word is a mistake.
IDK the right answer but since I usually workout before breakfast I’d really like to have a source of protein at the meal. And I think protein is a good differentiator between a snack and a meal. I guess boiled eggs counts but barely.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think we can all agree that a 4* hotel serving a muffin in a plastic container doesn’t meet expectations, but I genuinely don’t understand the problem with the PdG serving a very fine French breakfast in France.

The issue is the terms and conditions envision properties with executive, concierge, club, or M Club lounges offering a limited continental breakfast buffet. The very same terms and conditions clearly envision properties without lounges or properties with closed lounges to offer breakfast in the restaurant.

The Prince de Galles not offering eggs is cheap. It wouldn't cost a damn thing, especially with their margins. It's about cheap owners, period. Breakfast buffets offer huge profit margins.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

please elaborate
Gladly. I recently stayed there under their "Federal Gov" rate. They charged me an additional $14/day for mandatory breakfast in spite of my status ("we'll just be giving you the points"). For my un-reimbursable investment I got a self-serve buffet no better than what one would expect at a lower-end property. However, beverages were served by tipped staff only, and rang in at $5/small glass for OJ, just for example - in addition to the mandatory $14 breakfast.

One of the two days they put an omelette station out, which hontestly looked nice (I didn't have time to indulge). Naturally the guy put out a tip jar pre-populated ten- and twenty-dollar bills (lest you think just a few bucks or no tip at all would fall within the target zone).

To be fair they gave me a decent room upgrade, they have recently renovated quite nicely, and their location is excellent. Also, all the staff I encountered were super nice and professional. This is simply a management shortcoming borne of pure greed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mister Nice

please elaborate
The Westin Huntsville is managed by Crescent; Crescent Hotels & Resorts Management Company | Portfolio.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The issue is the terms and conditions envision properties with executive, concierge, club, or M Club lounges offering a limited continental breakfast buffet. The very same terms and conditions clearly envision properties without lounges or properties with closed lounges to offer breakfast in the restaurant.

The Prince de Galles not offering eggs is cheap. It wouldn't cost a damn thing, especially with their margins. It's about cheap owners, period. Breakfast buffets offer huge profit margins.
I would agree with it being about the property nickel and diming people - you can see it in my review of the PdG. That said, I think it’s important to separate that from discussions as to whether a property meets the Marriott T&C’s - by offering the standard, high quality, super expensive breakfast in a Michelin starred restaurant, they are more than meeting the T&C’s.
Horace, MSPeconomist and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:12 pm

Where is this Delta hotel at MSP? I don't think I've ever noticed it.
That's my nomenclature for anything in the cities, although perhaps I should lower case or dash it to signify not the airport but just the metro. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps...lis-northeast/
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless there are other hotels in the same block, this was flagged under some other brand about three decades ago when I stayed here. It is a strange location (the previous name made it sound like it was downtown) although IIRC there was a wonderful model railroad exhibit place and also the Dakota (jazz nightclub/restaurant, now in downtown Minneapolis) was in a small shopping center in the area. I sure hope it's been renovated in the intervening years, although even an extensive renovation cannot cure bad bones.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:22 pm

Unless there are other hotels in the same block, this was flagged under some other brand about three decades ago when I stayed here. It is a strange location (the previous name made it sound like it was downtown) although IIRC there was a wonderful model railroad exhibit place and also the Dakota (jazz nightclub/restaurant, now in downtown Minneapolis) was in a small shopping center in the area. I sure hope it's been renovated in the intervening years, although even an extensive renovation cannot cure bad bones.
The bones hold it back a little (mostly ceilings) but it's as gut renovated as I've seen a building of this generation, including exterior accents. IIR it was a Wyndham or Ramada before Delta renovation. There was a small shopping center nearby that I remember going by on my run, close to a large cemetery and golf course.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini
The bones hold it back a little (mostly ceilings) but it's as gut renovated as I've seen a building of this generation, including exterior accents. IIR it was a Wyndham or Ramada before Delta renovation. There was a small shopping center nearby that I remember going by on my run, close to a large cemetery and golf course.
I was going to guess that it was the Radisson Metrodome back then but it might have been a Ramada.

HINT: When the hotel's address is Industrial Blvd, this is not a good sign.

strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.