FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1947978-full-service-properties-dont-comply-breakfast-benefit.html)

C17PSGR Dec 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

As suggested by others, its worth having a specific name and shame thread dealing with properties that do not comply with the spirit of the Marriott breakfast benefit. Rather than debating the benefit, this can be an easy list of properties that don't comply.

I'll start with the JW Marriott Santa Monica. It's a nice property but doesn't have a lounge and the only breakfast option is pastries, fruit, and oatmeal -- and no option for eggs or other protein at breakfast. There is no credit toward any menu items either.

nexusCFX Dec 28, 2018 5:52 pm

This is not property-specific, but Delta hotels have a specific exemption in the T&C that allows them to have a "pantry" in lieu of a lounge. More specifically, I recently stayed at the Delta Orlando Lake Buena Vista and made use of the pantry. It is nice in terms of unlimited take-away Pepsi if you're into that sort of thing, but it was basically a failure as far as breakfast was concerned. The only options were self-serve toast with jam/peanut butter, or cereal, and other dry snacks day round like trail mix, candies, etc. Profoundly unhealthy. I did take a couple apples and some small yogurt cups a few times.

I rarely stay at such properties but I thought it was worth noting because Marriott places Delta alongside other FS brands for most benefits but has this specific "Approved Alternative" for them and I personally don't find it to be acceptable.

jbarm Dec 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Wailea Beach Marriott only provides a bare minimum continental breakfast for Plat and Plat Premier members. Coffee and a pastry anyone?

Also has scant other amenities for elite MR members.

Nice property but I will not stay there with such meager offerings for elites.

MasterGeek Dec 29, 2018 4:17 am

Originally Posted by jbarm (Post 30584168)
Wailea Beach Marriott only provides a bare minimum continental breakfast for Plat and Plat Premier members. Coffee and a pastry anyone?

Also has scant other amenities for elite MR members.

Nice property but I will not stay there with such meager offerings for elites.

Thomas Foti, the general manager of this stingy property and you can email him to complain about this insulting Platinum Elite breakfast by email with the address format [email protected]

ehallison Dec 29, 2018 7:56 am

We had 2 otherwise fine stays at the Davenport Grand (Autograph Collection) 2 years ago. But the platinum breakfast benefit was bad - coffee, juice, and a pastry. It's unfortunate because I travel to the area every year, and when I think about staying in Spokane, I don't think "What a great upgrade they gave us," instead I think, "What a lousy breakfast they gave us."

3Cforme Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 30583393)
properties that do not comply with the spirit of the Marriott breakfast benefit.

What is the 'spirit' of the benefit? Does it vary by brand and/or geography? Who gets to determine the spirit vs. the Marriott Rewards T&C obligation?

arlflyer Dec 29, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30584977)
What is the 'spirit' of the benefit?

To provide a breakfast in the form of food sufficient to allow a guest to exist in comfort until the midday meal.

Does it vary by brand and/or geography?

The thread title clearly states that this thread is limited to discussion of full service brands.

Who gets to determine the spirit vs. the Marriott Rewards T&C obligation?

Consumers, who comprise the membership of this forum and who also, by way of their respective purchasing decisions, determine Marriott's revenues and, thus, profitability.
​​​​​​

creditcardgeek Dec 29, 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ehallison (Post 30584826)
We had 2 otherwise fine stays at the Davenport Grand (Autograph Collection) 2 years ago. But the platinum breakfast benefit was bad - coffee, juice, and a pastry. It's unfortunate because I travel to the area every year, and when I think about staying in Spokane, I don't think "What a great upgrade they gave us," instead I think, "What a lousy breakfast they gave us."

Interesting. I stayed in one of the Davenport hotels in August ( I think there are 3) and was allowed to order any entree and coffee/juice on the menu of the attached restaurant.

SkiAdcock Dec 29, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek (Post 30585222)
Interesting. I stayed in one of the Davenport hotels in August ( I think there are 3) and was allowed to order any entree and coffee/juice on the menu of the attached restaurant.

His stay was 2 years ago, so sounds like things have changed for the better.

Cheers.

mahasamatman Dec 29, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30585243)

They may also have stayed at different properties, since there are three to choose from.

margarita girl Dec 29, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30585243)

Cheers.

Did Autograph Collection offer free breakfast 2 yrs ago? I read that as fine stays 2 yrs ago, but now that Marriott has upped the expectations with a promise of free breakfast, we have lunch bag letdown!

So guess we are now up to 5 Autograph Collection Hotels that underdeliver. :eek:

dgreen12 Dec 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30585438)
They may also have stayed at different properties, since there are three to choose from.

All of the Davenport properties in Spokane have the same management team. Should be the same benefit at each of the locations.

damon88 Dec 29, 2018 2:06 pm

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a079e89a8.jpeg

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30585568)

Did Autograph Collection offer free breakfast 2 yrs ago? I read that as fine stays 2 yrs ago, but now that Marriott has upped the expectations with a promise of free breakfast, we have lunch bag letdown!

So guess we are now up to 5 Autograph Collection Hotels that underdeliver. :eek:

And at least one that delivers in spades !

Domes of Elounda

mahasamatman Dec 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 30585652)
Should be the same benefit at each of the locations.

Never assume...

margarita girl Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek (Post 30585222)

Would be helpful if you could identify which of the 3 properties. Thx