Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by anaggie
Add JW Marriott Cancun to the list

Continental breakfast is an option as a platinum benefit — you have to choose between continental breakfast or 1000 points, or the snack and welcome drink option.

The part about having choose points or breakfast is fine -- just not the qualifier "continental."

It's what the Terms & Conditions -- https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi -- now specify for RESORTS branded as JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, or Renaissance. For such resorts in Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa, the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift options are "1,000 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay to breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1."

Hotels and resorts of these brands provide Platinum Elite breakfast under different parts of the Terms & Conditions. Since August 18, 2018, hotels continue to offer breakfast through the elite lounge/breakfast benefit carried over from the old Marriott Rewards program. Resorts, previously excluded from this benefit, now offer breakfast as a Welcome Gift option, similar to hotels and resorts of most SPG legacy brands.
Originally Posted by anaggie
Continental breakfast includes a yogurt, cereal, bread and coffee or tea. Upgrade to the buffet breakfast is approx $20.

That part is not fine.

A reasonable person would read "breakfast in restaurant" at a 4-star, 4 1/2-star, or 5-star hotel to mean the kind of breakfast that guests at such a hotel would typically order in the hotel's breakfast restaurant. It could be breakfast from the menu. It could be a breakfast buffet. It could be a choice of either. Reasonably, the elite breakfast could exclude a few luxury items that very few guests buy, but that the hotel chooses to offer (such as steak & eggs or lobster omelettes).

If the JW Marriott Cancun only offers "yogurt, cereal, bread and coffee or tea" as its Platinum Elite breakfast, that's pitiful.
C17PSGR, bhrubin and ryw like this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Didn’t get a picture. People seated next to me got that option and one person clearly stated they were platinum and they were supposed to get free breakfast. Bit of a shock to them to hear about the upgrade. I learned about it on the JW Marriott Cancun thread.

You can sit in the restaurant and they bring everything to you in one shot.

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Westin Cape Coral Resort
Continental Breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, croissants, fruit, etc) for 2 per room per day is allowed per the welcome gift.
$8 per person upcharge to a hot buffet
$3 per person upcharge to get a fixed 2 eggs and one side plus toast (normally $15 on menu)
No credit for any other meals on menu.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Amex Platinum
Thanks for all your warnings! I'm morally obliged to avoid such cheating hotels.
EuropeanPete and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Reid
Westin Cape Coral Resort
Continental Breakfast (oatmeal, yogurt, croissants, fruit, etc) for 2 per room per day is allowed per the welcome gift.
$8 per person upcharge to a hot buffet
$3 per person upcharge to get a fixed 2 eggs and one side plus toast (normally $15 on menu)
No credit for any other meals on menu.
You should complain on TripAdvisor. The general manager is Michael Tighe and may be reachable at <[email protected]>.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Note to self - never stay at the Renaissance Chicago Downtown, esp. when there are plentiful good legacy SPG options nearby
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interestingly, there are fewer than 10 properties we've identified as cheating ...

Although, I suspect all the resorts in Mexico are cheating -- just don't have enough info to post. As a general rule, it seems properties in Europe, Asia, and South America are complying and the vast majority are complying in North America. So ... its maybes for Hawaii and Mexico -- I'd guess the Caribbean and the isolated US property.

This also highlights it may be at the hotel GM level. For example, both the Waikiki Marriott and the Wailea Marriott are managed by Marriott. Both GM's report to a District Manager in Honolulu. Yet ... the Waikiki Marriott offers the full breakfast buffet and the Wailea Marriott offers something that doesn't comply. Setting aside whether one likes the buffet at the Waikiki Marriott, it certainly complies with the program. And I haven't been to the Grand Bohemian in Orlando in 2018 but the lounge there exceeded Marriott standards and is operated by Kessler.
Horace and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection in Paris...non-compliant...
I must also disagree.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't consider the PdG to be in non-compliance...the menu clearly lists the 38 EUR option as the continental one IIRC (might be a pic of it in the property thread). I remember it being of very high quality and sufficient for a meal, even if there wasn't an egg or meat component.

Save this thread for the "coffee and a muffin" properties.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Two comped 38 Euro breakfasts per day isn't bad as an elite benefit, plus they're served nicely in elegant surroundings.

Some people just need to learn to avoid inspecting the lips and teeth of gift horses we love.

I’m with the latter two posts: the Prince de Galles offers a complimentary continental breakfast benefit suitable to any luxury property in Europe.

The key here is that European breakfast is inherently a bit different (appropriately Continental...as if the name isn’t self-explanatory!) than American breakfast. Even at luxury hotels. Eggs are not considered a breakfast staple in Europe as they are in America, just as “deli” meats and cheeses are not considered a breakfast staple in America as they are in many parts of Europe or fish, sushi, and soups are not in America as in many parts of Asia. Context matters.

I do also agree that some look the gift horse breakfast benefit in the mouth.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’m with the latter two posts: the Prince de Galles offers a complimentary continental breakfast benefit suitable to any luxury property in Europe.

The key here is that European breakfast is inherently a bit different (appropriately Continental...as if the name isn’t self-explanatory!) than American breakfast. Even at luxury hotels. Eggs are not considered a breakfast staple in Europe as they are in America, just as “deli” meats and cheeses are not considered a breakfast staple in America as they are in many parts of Europe or fish, sushi, and soups are not in America as in many parts of Asia. Context matters.

I do also agree that some look the gift horse breakfast benefit in the mouth.
I agree we ought to keep this thread to the coffee/muffin rather obvious violator.

I definitely understand cultural differences but the PdG breakfast does seem to me from what's reported to be on the cheap side. Obviously, I understand not having eggs and bacon in France (although most European legacy Marriott properties do) but the reports here are that it doesn't include meat/cheese which would be a basic breakfast staple in Europe. Plus, for example, most continental Marriott properties offer both what might be construed as an English breakfast as well as a traditional continental breakfast. But ... I think this is a discussion for the PdG thread.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I agree we ought to keep this thread to the coffee/muffin rather obvious violator.

I definitely understand cultural differences but the PdG breakfast does seem to me from what's reported to be on the cheap side. Obviously, I understand not having eggs and bacon in France (although most European legacy Marriott properties do) but the reports here are that it doesn't include meat/cheese which would be a basic breakfast staple in Europe. Plus, for example, most continental Marriott properties offer both what might be construed as an English breakfast as well as a traditional continental breakfast. But ... I think this is a discussion for the PdG thread.
So has PdG changed their breakfast benefit post merger? I feel like the last time I stayed there we were given the full buffet, but my memory may be failing me.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ethernal
So has PdG changed their breakfast benefit post merger? I feel like the last time I stayed there we were given the full buffet, but my memory may be failing me.
OK, I looked. This is what was posted on the breakfast wiki here. Note the date.

Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012

Paris - Prince de Galles, LC: Continental breakfast, value 39 EUR pp Les Heures restaurant (or 40 EUR pp for room service) + 500 points [Jun 2016]
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Crikey, a lot of posts on this thread for one particular property that does a nice (38/39E) for brekkie. Ironically, that property is now ON my list of places to stay based on posts in this thread

I agree w/ others that this thread should really be reserved for the 'dregs' (aka, properties really, really, really dropping the ball/cheaping out) vs. quibbling over what some consider a nice brekkie & others not feeling the same (which is always the problem w/ these type of threads ).

I also agree that the # of properties that don't comply is, for the most part, minimal. Folks, I have maintained the exec lounge/brekkie sticky for 10 years & there are now something like 1,500 or more full-service properties, (I got a headache counting) most of which do a decent job or go above & beyond.

So, while I understand that folk want to 'out' the properties that do a crap job wrt brekkie (and I agree w/ that), I will again state that I think the proper place to do it is in the actual property thread vs. a 'vague' thread re: properties not complying (even if the vague thread has a wiki). If I'm considering a property I read the property thread for updates, not a generic thread that I'm going have to scroll through multiple posts to figure out if the property I'm interested in is mentioned, or if it is, it's listed multiple pages in. But that's just me. And based on experience, this thread will ultimately drop down.

I'll continue to monitor this thread because, ironically, those who haven't posted updates in the exec lounge sticky have provided some updates in this thread, so I've updated some properties (w/o the commentary) As mentioned before, the exec lounge sticky is a 'snapshot/cliff notes' version of what full-service properties do & I encourage all to post in that thread to provide input to your fellow FTers - and to post more details/pics in the property threads.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold; Marriott Platinum
@C17PSGR, I agree with you about the Mexico issue. Staying at the JW in Los Cabos next week... Will report back. I posted about this topic in August in the property's thread, but no one has responded. Guess we just don't have enough info!

Last edited by Pheenblat; Mar 18, 2019 at 7:51 am Reason: forgot to quote
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
—- disregard —-
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pheenblat
@C17PSGR, I agree with you about the Mexico issue. Staying at the JW in Los Cabos next week... Will report back. I posted about this topic in August in the property's thread, but no one has responded. Guess we just don't have enough info!
Thanks. I'll be interested.

I like this property. Great pools, nice gym, nice spa. You can really enjoy it.

I have stayed in the Griffin Club on my stays there so they have breakfast, which is very good. One of the reasons I don't go there more often is that they tell me they don't upgrade ... even when they obviously have empty suites. Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if they are cheating on the breakfast.

And, I'll add the W Union Square to the breakast cheating list. Nice property but breakfast benefit is a basket of three breads (varied by day but pastry/croissant/muffin), juice, and coffee/tea. No credit toward anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.