Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Would like clarification on how properties handle breakfast when they straddle full service versus resort status. Marriott Marquis San Diego charges a destination fee, has a lounge closed on weekends, but then wants to deny resort breakfast option and offer only the non-resort alternative of 1000 points for the lounge being closed.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Properties are either classified as a resort or are not; seems like the latter for that property, thus one gets hosed. Destination fees are irrelevant WRT resort-classification status.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is not property-specific, but Delta hotels have a specific exemption in the T&C that allows them to have a "pantry" in lieu of a lounge. More specifically, I recently stayed at the Delta Orlando Lake Buena Vista and made use of the pantry. It is nice in terms of unlimited take-away Pepsi if you're into that sort of thing, but it was basically a failure as far as breakfast was concerned. The only options were self-serve toast with jam/peanut butter, or cereal, and other dry snacks day round like trail mix, candies, etc. Profoundly unhealthy. I did take a couple apples and some small yogurt cups a few times.

I rarely stay at such properties but I thought it was worth noting because Marriott places Delta alongside other FS brands for most benefits but has this specific "Approved Alternative" for them and I personally don't find it to be acceptable.
Where does it say this in the terms?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Segments
Would like clarification on how properties handle breakfast when they straddle full service versus resort status. Marriott Marquis San Diego charges a destination fee, has a lounge closed on weekends, but then wants to deny resort breakfast option and offer only the non-resort alternative of 1000 points for the lounge being closed.
unfortunately the San Diego Marriott Marquis has a specific exemption so I don't think it falls in this thread.

I've stayed at the Historic Davenport. A resort fee in Spokane is pretty stupid but they did let me order anything off the menu.

as for the spirit, I think it's clear that Marriott intended that breakfast benefit at least be equivalent to what would be available in a concierge lounge in a Marriott. So ...it should at least include fruit, yogurt, coffee, egg, meat or equivalent. I would consider a real continental breakfast with breads, meat, and cheese to be equivalent.

I don't think anyone thinks coffee and a muffin, or a 10 coupon that is insufficient to cover anything more than than a coffee to comply with the spirit of the benefit.

and this is a name and shame thread for properties who don't comply
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection in Paris, Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection in the British Virgin Islands, Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection in St. Augustine, Florida, and The Laylow, Autograph Collection in Honolulu are all noncompliant.

Maybe there should be a wiki at the top with properties listed by name and destination, similar to the executive lounge thread.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't consider the PdG to be in non-compliance...the menu clearly lists the 38 EUR option as the continental one IIRC (might be a pic of it in the property thread). I remember it being of very high quality and sufficient for a meal, even if there wasn't an egg or meat component.

Save this thread for the "coffee and a muffin" properties.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't consider the PdG to be in non-compliance...the menu clearly lists the 38 EUR option as the continental one IIRC (might be a pic of it in the property thread). I remember it being of very high quality and sufficient for a meal, even if there wasn't an egg or meat component.

Two comped 38 Euro breakfasts per day isn't bad as an elite benefit, plus they're served nicely in elegant surroundings.

Some people just need to learn to avoid inspecting the lips and teeth of gift horses we love.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Where does it say this in the terms?
4.3.c point iv.
At Delta Hotels properties without a Signature Club Lounge, as the approved alternative the Member will receive access to the Elite Pantry.
and then in the lounge access table
United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
Europe: Properties without a Lounge or approved alternative offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
So unfortunately the "Approved Alternative" which I feel is woefully inadequate is deemed sufficient to not have to offer breakfast in the restaurant.

Unless you have to maintain a low carbohydrate diet in which case you get no option. There are legitimate reasons to consider a continental breakfast inadequate.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended

This thread is never going to be a success if everyone bickers over definitions. For purposes of this thread, we should agree to list a property and then what they provide; in the case of the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection, a cold buffet that was less extensive than the executive lounge breakfast at the J.W. Marriott in Singapore.

I think there should be a wiki at the top of this thread with a central listing.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Found in the lounge thread:

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I recently stayed at the Bohemian by Autograph in Orlando, and they absolutely would not budge on breakfast. They state the $10 F&B is all that is owed.
Another Autograph Collection that does not comply with the breakfast benefit!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This thread is never going to be a success if everyone bickers over definitions. For purposes of this thread, we should agree to list a property and then what they provide; in the case of the Prince de Galles, Luxury Collection, a cold buffet that was less extensive than the executive lounge breakfast at the J.W. Marriott in Singapore.

I think there should be a wiki at the top of this thread with a central listing.
If this is the standard, a lot of USA properties will fail.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Did Autograph Collection offer free breakfast 2 yrs ago? I read that as fine stays 2 yrs ago, but now that Marriott has upped the expectations with a promise of free breakfast, we have lunch bag letdown!

Prior to August 18, 2018, Autograph Collection had the same lounge or lounge-alternative breakfast benefit in the Terms & Conditions as Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, and Delta Hotels. That meant that breakfast was provided for 50-night Elite members at HOTELS. But RESORTS were excluded. And that's still the case today. There's still no lounge / lounge alternative benefit at RESORTS of these five brands.

What changed for Autograph Collection on August 18, 2018 -- and for the other four Marriott brands listed above -- is that 50-night Elite members could choose daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option at RESORTS. This follows the SPG model.

A few Autograph Collection properties (Atlantis and Cosmopolitan) are officially excluded from the new benefit in the Terms & Conditions.

Unless specifically excluded, all Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta RESORTS should now offer daily breakfast in the restaurant for member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option to 50-night members (Platinum Elite and higher).

The daily $10 F&B credit for member + 1 applies to Courtyard, MOXY, and AC Hotels -- but not to Autograph Collection or any other full-service brand, whether a HOTEL or a RESORT. The benefit at most full-service properties is supposed to be better.

A number of the offending Autograph Collection properties belong to the Kessler Collection. At this point, I'm inclined to avoid the Kessler Collection entirely.

But I won't avoid the many Autograph Collection properties (and other Marriott legacy full-service properties) that treat Platinum Elite guests properly.
markko likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 29, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:32 pm

This is hopelessly complicated.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Which one wouldn't expect when dealing with a "chain"
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Which one wouldn't expect when dealing with a "chain"
But perhaps might be expected for a company that promotes brands that are largely operated by franchisees.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not really. There seems to be a debate about PDG. I haven't stayed there and don't have a dog in the fight. Lets just keep it factual so people can assess on their own.

As to the others, it seems pretty obvious that they don't comply with the spirit of the benefit. Lets keep discussions about AC, CY, and hotels with written exemptions out of this.

But ... for the full service properties that aren't complying, lets identify them and report factually.

I haven't started a wiki before on here but might try when i have some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.