Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Horace
The good news is that plenty of Marriott Bonvoy full-service and luxury properties provide excellent breakfasts to Platinum Elite and above. My wife and I recently stayed at five properties in Italy -- one Westin, one Renaissance, two Autograph Collection, and one St. Regis -- which all had well-stocked breakfast buffets with plenty of choices and no extra charges for anything.

Depending on the brand and property type (hotel or resort), the daily breakfast benefit rules (for member + 1) at full-service and luxury properties fall into three categories: (1) breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access," (2) breakfast in the restaurant as a Welcome Gift choice, and (3) no breakfast benefit at all. See the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions for all the details.

When there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, hotels of Marriott legacy brands that provide restaurant breakfast through "Guaranteed Lounge Access" can limit the free elite breakfast to a "continental breakfast." In such cases, the hotel can offer a more complete breakfast for an additional charge. Most hotels realize this is petty, so they provide a full buffet or traditional hotel breakfast. But they're not in violation of the T&Cs if they only provide "continental breakfast" and offer a credit toward other breakfasts.

The benefit should never ONLY be a discount or credit. If there's only a credit -- insufficient for breakfast food, coffee, and juice -- then the hotel is in violation, and the member should invoke the guarantee.

If a full-service hotel only wants to provide daily USD $10 credits for member + 1, then the hotel should rebrand to Courtyard, AC Hotels, or Moxy.
My wife and I stayed at Westin San Diego last year, and got only the voucher. Not pleased.

In Sept., we'll stay at Courtyard Vilnius, AC Copenhagen, and maybe Moxy Bergen. Sounds like we'll need to spend more for decent breakfast.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at the Renaissance Reno in late May. Was informed the lounge does not offer hot food on weekends (its open for beverages & packaged food...while it lasted), no alternate breakfast would be provided & that I would get 750 points instead (no alternative). To add insult to injury never actually got the 750 points.
SPN Lifer and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by TNLONTraveller
Stayed at the Renaissance Reno in late May. Was informed the lounge does not offer hot food on weekends (its open for beverages & packaged food...while it lasted), no alternate breakfast would be provided & that I would get 750 points instead (no alternative). To add insult to injury never actually got the 750 points.
was the hotel offering in-room breakfast dining (whether for free or for money) during weekends though ? if so, where does the food come from ?
Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
was the hotel offering in-room breakfast dining (whether for free or for money) during weekends though ? if so, where does the food come from ?
There was a restaurant that was open in the lobby that served breakfast. I didn't partake.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all. Quick question, reply would be greatly appreciated! Platinum elite, currently at Marriott by the Brooklyn Bridge. M Lounge closed on Sat/Sun. There is a little coffee shop in the lobby that sells coffee and bagels etc. Reception told me I would receive 750 points on Sat and Sun, not a credit for the coffee shop "because it is not a full service restaurant, and Marriott's breakfast guarantee when the lounge is closed is only in cases where the hotel has a full service restaurant." I can't see this language in the T&C and it seems to me that the hotel is in violation of the elite benefits guarantee - can anyone guide me on this? Is the breakfast replacement only when there's a full service restaurant, or should they be comping me breakfast up to a certain amount in that coffee shop?

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by alexperi
Hi all. Quick question, reply would be greatly appreciated! Platinum elite, currently at Marriott by the Brooklyn Bridge. M Lounge closed on Sat/Sun. There is a little coffee shop in the lobby that sells coffee and bagels etc. Reception told me I would receive 750 points on Sat and Sun, not a credit for the coffee shop "because it is not a full service restaurant, and Marriott's breakfast guarantee when the lounge is closed is only in cases where the hotel has a full service restaurant." I can't see this language in the T&C and it seems to me that the hotel is in violation of the elite benefits guarantee - can anyone guide me on this? Is the breakfast replacement only when there's a full service restaurant, or should they be comping me breakfast up to a certain amount in that coffee shop?

Thanks!
The hotel is inventing its own fake rules.

The hotel is still selling breakfast to paying guests. The hotel should also provide breakfast (at least a complete continental breakfast, including tax and tip) to Platinum Elite members and above. Shame on the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge that it doesn't have a traditional table-service / buffet restaurant serving breakfast, but it has the Brooklyn Pantry counter-service restaurant adjacent to the M Club Lounge. There's no reason a qualifying member (+1) should not be able to get a breakfast sandwich and/or quality pastry, fruit, coffee, and juice.

If the lounge is closed, it's the member's choice -- not the hotel's choice -- of breakfast or 750 points. You can legitimately claim compensation under Guaranteed Lounge Access.

If the hotel wants to have itself put into the Terms & Conditions on the list of specific properties that only provide 1000 points and not breakfast if the lounge is closed, that's another choice for the hotel. It's a "hall of shame" list, but at least the hotel could then legitimately point to the Terms & Conditions as an excuse for providing a pittance of points instead of a breakfast worthy of a full-service hotel.

In no case is what the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge doing and saying acceptable.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:36 am

Many thanks!

Originally Posted by Horace
The hotel is inventing its own fake rules.

The hotel is still selling breakfast to paying guests. The hotel should also provide breakfast (at least a complete continental breakfast, including tax and tip) to Platinum Elite members and above. Shame on the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge that it doesn't have a traditional table-service / buffet restaurant serving breakfast, but it has the Brooklyn Pantry counter-service restaurant adjacent to the M Club Lounge. There's no reason a qualifying member (+1) should not be able to get a breakfast sandwich and/or quality pastry, fruit, coffee, and juice.

If the lounge is closed, it's the member's choice -- not the hotel's choice -- of breakfast or 750 points. You can legitimately claim compensation under Guaranteed Lounge Access.

If the hotel wants to have itself put into the Terms & Conditions on the list of specific properties that only provide 1000 points and not breakfast if the lounge is closed, that's another choice for the hotel. It's a "hall of shame" list, but at least the hotel could then legitimately point to the Terms & Conditions as an excuse for providing a pittance of points instead of a breakfast worthy of a full-service hotel.

In no case is what the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge doing and saying acceptable.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by alexperi
Many thanks!
Invoke the Lounge Access Guarantee and demand $100 cash before you check out.
Nevsky, SPN Lifer, rylan and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:05 pm

This thread should have a wiki with all hotels denting benefits. Would be really helpful.

I've invoked it a number of times and the hotel *always* refuses.

I was looking at the Burgess in Atlanta but read multiple reviews saying they deny the breakfast benefit. Debating whether to book anyway and dealing with the blood pressure from crappy hotel management.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:44 am

Anyone had successful invoking lounge access guarantee at Laylow in Honolulu?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:20 am

I didn't realize the thread does have a wiki! I've updated it for post-covid and will fill in some more when I'm not mobile.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's figured this out, but you can actually comment on Marriott reviews! Saw one comment on one hotel review and was determined to figure it out. In the mobile app reviews page, if you search reviews and click "read full review" at the bottom of the full review will be a comment box. Fill it out and you get an email to confirm submission. I haven't found another way to do it. Useful to comment on hotels violating Marriott T&C when you don't get a review request.

E.g. Burgess review comment, few down from the top.

Last edited by applesauce; Aug 13, 2023 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh
Anyone had successful invoking lounge access guarantee at Laylow in Honolulu?
No, they are offering a BF benefit. Some may find it inadequate, but the guarantee does not say how good the benefit has to be.
applesauce likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:20 am

Hi all, many of you may be interested in my update on this issue (see OP from Aug 11 and responses).

I invoked the guarantee with a staff member and was told that they would pass it on to the manager who would call me the next day. The next morning I got a call from the manager who asked me to clarify my concern, and when I did, he told me that I was indeed correct and that I was eligible for $100 and that I should come down to reception to sort it out.

I went down to reception a few minutes later, the manager came out, gave me a form to sign, and then handed me over a crisp $100 bill. I was rather dumbfounded - I assumed that they would simply deduct $100 from the bill - but no, he gave me $100 in cash... the weirdest thing...

I had overheard a receptionist telling the same story to another couple checking in (this was before I complained) so I am confident this was not a mistake by one receptionist but rather a hotel policy which sees the occasional $100 paid out to an anal guest like me as a price worth paying in order to save much more money on many breakfasts each weekend....

Thank you Horace and Kacee for encouraging me to go for it!!
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Dulles Airport Marriott “breakfast” consists of single-serving bags of various Lays salty snacks (chips, pretzels, etc), and a vat of “oatmeal” (no condiments or anything, just “oatmeal”, bubbling away).
Sad
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Dulles Airport Marriott “breakfast” consists of single-serving bags of various Lays salty snacks (chips, pretzels, etc), and a vat of “oatmeal” (no condiments or anything, just “oatmeal”, bubbling away).
Sad
Sounds like they are in violation... a bowl of oatmeal and bag of chips does not equate to a continental breakfast in any country.
yscleo, KRSW, donotblink and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.