Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 5:05 pm

Coffee and toast would seem to constitute a "continental breakfast". There isn't anything in the T&C that would seem to be broken by such a breakfast.

I am not "OK" with that.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Coffee and toast would seem to constitute a "continental breakfast". There isn't anything in the T&C that would seem to be broken by such a breakfast.

I am not "OK" with that.
And it's also your view that "breakfast in restaurant" means the same thing as "continental breakfast" and that Marriott's use of those two different terms does not signify a different standard when breakfast is selected as the welcome amenity?
Old May 30, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yawn - are you two going to go back/forth w/ each other? A bit boring at this point. Back to property reports

Cheers.
bbbb likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
And it's also your view that "breakfast in restaurant" means the same thing as "continental breakfast" and that Marriott's use of those two different terms does not signify a different standard when breakfast is selected as the welcome amenity?
Neither of them are defined in the T&C. That's not "my view" it's an empirical fact.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
How did they handle it if you wanted a hot breakfast? Would you receive a credit or upcharge toward other breakfast options?
Correct--I don't remember the $$ amount, but whatever the continental costs you could have used to offset the full buffet.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Why can’t Marriott be as simple as Hilton - free breakfast means free breakfast at all brands.

I understand legacy contracts could get in the way but what’s the excuse for newer brands like Edition hotels, excluded in the programme but all with 5 years old and really only making a big push over the past 2/3 years.

My personal view on breakfast I’m more likely to pay a small up sell for made to order eggs etc if I have something decent included than be nickle and dimed. P*ss me off with a $10 voucher and I’m just walking down the road for a reasonable priced breakfast elsewhere.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Why can’t Marriott be as simple as Hilton - free breakfast means free breakfast at all brands
You're kidding, right? Many Hiltons (including one entire brand, W/A) don't in fact provide a "free breakfast." Instead, they provide a credit which often covers only a fraction of the price of breakfast.

Hyatt is the brand that gets this benefit right, including specifying what the Globalist breakfast must include.
damon88, Duke777, UA-NYC and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Why can’t Marriott be as simple as Hilton - free breakfast means free breakfast at all brands.

I understand legacy contracts could get in the way but what’s the excuse for newer brands like Edition hotels, excluded in the programme but all with 5 years old and really only making a big push over the past 2/3 years.

My personal view on breakfast I’m more likely to pay a small up sell for made to order eggs etc if I have something decent included than be nickle and dimed. P*ss me off with a $10 voucher and I’m just walking down the road for a reasonable priced breakfast elsewhere.
You haven’t stayed at a Waldorf I guess.i don’t think their breakfast credit covers juice, coffee and pastry even.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
You haven’t stayed at a Waldorf I guess.i don’t think their breakfast credit covers juice, coffee and pastry even.
Yes, wonderful BF buffet at multiple WAs I stayed at. Blows most Marriott hotels out of the water
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Yes, wonderful BF buffet at multiple WAs I stayed at. Blows most Marriott hotels out of the water
But the standard W/A benefit is a $15 credit, not full buffet.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:21 pm

You're kidding, right? Many Hiltons (including one entire brand, W/A) don't in fact provide a "free breakfast." Instead, they provide a credit which often covers only a fraction of the price of breakfast.
never had anything but a full buffet breakfast in Europe from Hilton. Also a couple in Asia.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:13 pm

never had anything but a full buffet breakfast in Europe from Hilton. Also a couple in Asia.
That's rather a limited sample. If you only stayed in full service SPG properties in Asia and Europe, you'd have the same experience.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
That's rather a limited sample. If you only stayed in full service SPG properties in Asia and Europe, you'd have the same experience.
It is my experience that most properties in North America are stingy with these type of benefits for Marriott and Hilton while their Asian and European counterparts go above and beyond in their offerings.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:00 am

We are talking about Bonvoy and I wouldn’t as breakfast is not offered by design hotels, RC or Edition hotels with status. Some LC are/were pretty strict with keeping to continental too.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:40 am

Some LC are/were pretty strict with keeping to continental too.
Compared to what? The numerous Hiltons that have an upcharge for full buffet? Or that give a dollar credit which is insufficient to cover anything resembling a full breakfast? That is a long list of Hilton properties btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.