Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hchang2017
how this hotel compare to Hyatt Regency? Hyatt Regency would cost nearly double for the time I want to stay at and it would be whole week..
beachfront, better service, better rooms, a pool that gets sunshine ! If you have status a great RC.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hchang2017
how this hotel compare to Hyatt Regency? Hyatt Regency would cost nearly double for the time I want to stay at and it would be whole week..
It's been more than 25 years since I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort. I visited The Laylow, Autograph Collection recently, but I have not been inside a room.

Now that I've established my lack of qualifications to answer the question, here are my thoughts anyway.

There are good reasons why the folks who run the Hyatt feel they can charge "nearly double," and why some guests are willing to pay it. The Hyatt covers an entire prime block of Waikiki, part of which is directly across from the beach. The Hyatt's two towers have many rooms with spectacular ocean views (but also many rooms that face away from the ocean). The scale of the property is grand.

The Laylow has a small footprint in a dense area of Waikiki, several blocks away from the beach. The are many restaurants in walking distance. It's a good base for exploring Waikiki and Oahu. As this thread discusses, The Laylow has been recently rennovated to Autograph Collection boutique hotel standards. The pool looks nice, but is small and tends to be in the shade.

Both are full-service properties. Neither is a luxury property.

If the price were the same, and if status in a loyalty program were not an issue, the Hyatt Regency would win easily.

But is the Hyatt Regency really worth twice as much money? It might be for some people, but not to me. I'd rather have more money for dining and activities, as well as a smaller credit card balance after the vacation.
hchang2017 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Guys, quick question. I asked to use the 4pm Guaranteed Late Checkout as a Gold member here and was denied. Was told that since they are a resort, the late checkout guarantee is not required to be offered.

That is all fine and good - but I thought this specifically was not a resort - that is why they charge an "amenity fee" and not a "resort fee". Also if they were a resort, wouldn't they not be obliged to offer the vouchers for breakfast?

I decided to take an earlier flight in the end so I didn't re-address it but this is the second time in a row where I have been denied this benefit (the other time was at a standard Springhill Suites).

I feel like there is always an excuse as to why the hotel does not have to give this supposedly "guaranteed" benefit.

Anyway, in this instance, is the hotel correct in saying they are a resort? They do not show up on Marriotts website listing all resorts by State.

Last edited by Enigma368; Oct 15, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Horace
It's been more than 25 years since I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort. I visited The Laylow, Autograph Collection recently, but I have not been inside a room.

Now that I've established my lack of qualifications to answer the question, here are my thoughts anyway.

There are good reasons why the folks who run the Hyatt feel they can charge "nearly double," and why some guests are willing to pay it. The Hyatt covers an entire prime block of Waikiki, part of which is directly across from the beach. The Hyatt's two towers have many rooms with spectacular ocean views (but also many rooms that face away from the ocean). The scale of the property is grand.

The Laylow has a small footprint in a dense area of Waikiki, several blocks away from the beach. The are many restaurants in walking distance. It's a good base for exploring Waikiki and Oahu. As this thread discusses, The Laylow has been recently rennovated to Autograph Collection boutique hotel standards. The pool looks nice, but is small and tends to be in the shade.

Both are full-service properties. Neither is a luxury property.

If the price were the same, and if status in a loyalty program were not an issue, the Hyatt Regency would win easily.

But is the Hyatt Regency really worth twice as much money? It might be for some people, but not to me. I'd rather have more money for dining and activities, as well as a smaller credit card balance after the vacation.

I haven't stayed at the Laylow yet, but I'm going to agree with what you said here. However, when taking status into consideration, if one had top status at both, I might say the Hyatt is worth it. There are a few things that make me say that:

1. As a Hyatt Globalist, you never pay resort fees. There's a $25 in favor of Hyatt.
2. As a Hyatt Globalist, you get a lounge. The lounge offers drinks (non-alcoholic) all day long as well as breakfast and evening appetizers and desserts. They regency club also used to have cookies mid-day althought I don't know if that's still the case. The drinks and snacks can save you quite a bit of money. For 2 people that can be as much as a $50 per day benefit if you choose to eat in the lounge of the evening in lieu of dining out.
3. The ocean front room you're most likely to get as Globalist is amazing. If you're on vacation, that can make the price difference worth it also.

Naturally all of this depends on what the Hyatt is running . If it's a $150 difference, all of this would come into play but not so much as a $300 difference.

Now granted the Hyatt Regency of today is nothing compared to the Hyatt Regency of 15 years ago. The courtesy car, free drinks in the evening, and stellar top tier treatment of yesteryear is gone. If it were the HR of 15 years ago, I'd be willing to pay more than the resort as it is today because you really got bang for your buck.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I haven't stayed at the Laylow yet, but I'm going to agree with what you said here. However, when taking status into consideration, if one had top status at both, I might say the Hyatt is worth it. There are a few things that make me say that:

1. As a Hyatt Globalist, you never pay resort fees. There's a $25 in favor of Hyatt.
2. As a Hyatt Globalist, you get a lounge. The lounge offers drinks (non-alcoholic) all day long as well as breakfast and evening appetizers and desserts. They regency club also used to have cookies mid-day althought I don't know if that's still the case. The drinks and snacks can save you quite a bit of money. For 2 people that can be as much as a $50 per day benefit if you choose to eat in the lounge of the evening in lieu of dining out.
3. The ocean front room you're most likely to get as Globalist is amazing. If you're on vacation, that can make the price difference worth it also.

Naturally all of this depends on what the Hyatt is running . If it's a $150 difference, all of this would come into play but not so much as a $300 difference.

Now granted the Hyatt Regency of today is nothing compared to the Hyatt Regency of 15 years ago. The courtesy car, free drinks in the evening, and stellar top tier treatment of yesteryear is gone. If it were the HR of 15 years ago, I'd be willing to pay more than the resort as it is today because you really got bang for your buck.
Of note there is hope that as the new owners of the Hyatt ( Asian) restore some of the qualities that the hotel once had. I would love to see the old Colony reopen. Just saying
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:33 am

I don't have top status at either. I am looking to book into regency club room directly. Laylow seems to charge alot extra like extra person and fees....Hyatt Regency would only charge fee if book with cash and not points right?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Guys, quick question. I asked to use the 4pm Guaranteed Late Checkout as a Gold member here and was denied. Was told that since they are a resort, the late checkout guarantee is not required to be offered.
It seems that the managers of The Laylow, Autograph Collection are once again not following the the brand standards for Gold and Platinum. The Laylow is a hotel. It is not a resort or convention hotel (where the late checkout benefit is "based upon availability") so the benefit is "guaranteed," as described in this FAQ:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...heckout-faq.mi

Unlike other guaranteed Elite benefits, there is no published penalty when a hotel fails to honor Guaranteed late checkout. I suppose a guest who is told "no" could then simply refuse to leave the room until as late as 4:00 p.m., effectively invoking the guarantee. Then, if the hotel were to try to take any sort of action against the guest, the guest would clearly be on the right side of the issue.

I can also see it from the side of The Laylow. Although The Laylow is not a resort, it faces the same challenges having preferred rooms clean and ready for the next pre-assigned guest. It's much easier for a standard hotel with cookie-cutter rooms to move guest assignments around. On top of that, with many guests returning to the mainland on redeye flights, there's probably a higher-than-average percentage of late checkout requests.

The Laylow needs to figure out how deal with this situation. Presumably, one reason that the owners chose to affiliate with Marriott (Autograph Collection) was to attract Rewards members, with a particular competitive advantage in attracting Elite and Platinum members.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 16, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
For what it's worth, since the Marriott policy moved to 4 p.m. I have never had an issue, including at big-city hotels that conceivably might have an exemption. Only once did the front desk suggest 2 p.m., but when I politely reminded the attending clerk that I was a platinum I was given 4 p.m.

I'm actually surprised that Marriott gives gold-elite guests a 4 p.m. check-out as opposed to say 2 p.m. It would actually be nice if Marriott would enhance the platinum-elite benefits as, frankly speaking, there aren't really any differences between the benefits one is entitled to receive as a gold-elite and the benefits one is entitled to receive as a platinum-elite.

Much earlier in this thread, someone posted the contact information for the Marriott executive that handles these sorts of issues. Everyone with legitimate complaints about the fast-and-loose Laylow should take their issues to corporate.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
It seems that the managers of The Laylow, Autograph Collection are once again not following the the brand standards for Gold and Platinum. The Laylow is a hotel. It is not a resort or convention hotel (where the late checkout benefit is "based upon availability") so the benefit is "guaranteed," as described in this FAQ:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...heckout-faq.mi

Unlike other guaranteed Elite benefits, there is no published penalty when a hotel fails to honor Guaranteed late checkout. I suppose a guest who is told "no" could then simply refuse to leave the room until as late as 4:00 p.m., effectively invoking the guarantee. Then, if the hotel were to try to take any sort of action against the guest, the guest would clearly be on the right side of the issue.

I can also see it from the side of The Laylow. Although The Laylow is not a resort, it faces the same challenges having preferred rooms clean and ready for the next pre-assigned guest. It's much easier for a standard hotel with cookie-cutter rooms to move guest assignments around. On top of that, with many guests returning to the mainland on redeye flights, there's probably a higher-than-average percentage of late checkout requests.

The Laylow needs to figure out how deal with this situation. Presumably, one reason that the owners chose to affiliate with Marriott (Autograph Collection) was to attract Rewards members, with a particular competitive advantage in attracting Elite and Platinum members.
Thanks. This is as I suspected. I also can see why a hotel like the Laylow would struggle to facilitate this benefit given their location but ultimately it is unfair to me as a guest to have to argue for a benefit which I am promised by Marriott as guaranteed at non resort hotels. It was very awkward at reception when i asked for the late checkout and they told me I could have a 12pm checkout and I then politely suggested that it should be 4pm for Golds which they denied.

We ultimately changed to an earlier flight in part because they were denying this benefit(we were deciding whether to keep our red eye or not and the fact they had denied the 4pm checkout definitely played into our decision).

The previous hotel I had a problem with this checkout did not claim to be a resort, they just said the 4pm checkout was "based on availability" and they generally only gave it to Platinum members, which is not a correct interpretation of the rules. Both hotels are new to Marriott which I think is part of the problem. The only time I had a problem with the 4pm checkout at an SPG hotel was also a new hotel. Otherwise SPG hotels are very good at honouring this benefit.

I will write the Laylow an email.

BTW the Laylow does not give access to their lounge to Golds or Platinums anymore if you are not on the top two floors. They say that they give the vouchers instead now. I did not question this at all because I know their "lounge" is basically pointless but do you think they should in theory still be giving access to elites? I am not bothered by this in the same way as I am with the 4pm checkout, I am just curious.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Thanks. This is as I suspected. I also can see why a hotel like the Laylow would struggle to facilitate this benefit given their location but ultimately it is unfair to me as a guest to have to argue for a benefit which I am promised by Marriott as guaranteed at non resort hotels. It was very awkward at reception when i asked for the late checkout and they told me I could have a 12pm checkout and I then politely suggested that it should be 4pm for Golds which they denied.

We ultimately changed to an earlier flight in part because they were denying this benefit(we were deciding whether to keep our red eye or not and the fact they had denied the 4pm checkout definitely played into our decision).

The previous hotel I had a problem with this checkout did not claim to be a resort, they just said the 4pm checkout was "based on availability" and they generally only gave it to Platinum members, which is not a correct interpretation of the rules. Both hotels are new to Marriott which I think is part of the problem. The only time I had a problem with the 4pm checkout at an SPG hotel was also a new hotel. Otherwise SPG hotels are very good at honouring this benefit.

I will write the Laylow an email.

BTW the Laylow does not give access to their lounge to Golds or Platinums anymore if you are not on the top two floors. They say that they give the vouchers instead now. I did not question this at all because I know their "lounge" is basically pointless but do you think they should in theory still be giving access to elites? I am not bothered by this in the same way as I am with the 4pm checkout, I am just curious.
Writing The Laylow is useless. They are obviously giving the middle-finger to elites. And I don't think saying "they're new to Marriott" is a defense or explanation. It's a brand new hotel. They were never affiliated with another program.

I would write Marriott customer care. Here is the email address for a supervisor:

Marriott Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected] >

Also, be sure to report the hotel's middle-finger to elites on Trip Advisor.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Writing The Laylow is useless. They are obviously giving the middle-finger to elites. And I don't think saying "they're new to Marriott" is a defense or explanation. It's a brand new hotel. They were never affiliated with another program.

I would write Marriott customer care. Here is the email address for a supervisor:

Well I agree that maybe I am being kind saying that they dont know because they are new. I very much felt like I was being lied to at the laylow when she gave the resort excuse, she didnt seem convinced by it herself. I wonder if perhaps new hotels think "4pm guaranteed checkout - pft that is crazy, no way we are doing that - we will just deny it to those who do not kick up a fuss". Eventually as hotels are in the program longer, they realise denying the benefit results in too many problems and bad reviews and they just start granting it without issue.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm actually surprised that Marriott gives gold-elite guests a 4 p.m. check-out as opposed to say 2 p.m. It would actually be nice if Marriott would enhance the platinum-elite benefits as, frankly speaking, there aren't really any differences between the benefits one is entitled to receive as a gold-elite and the benefits one is entitled to receive as a platinum-elite.
SPG Golds get guaranteed 4PM late c/o so probably to have a similar policy.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist

Honestly, I think pretty much every major hotel brand in Hawaii doesn't care about elite recognition mainly because of the # of elites that visit the islands. There are also a lot of people who pay for oceanview rooms and suites so upgrades will be tough.

The best chains might be SPG and Hyatt mainly because of their breakfast policies for Platinums (SPG) and Globalists (Hyatt). Marriott is definitely the worst since breakfast doesn't have to be offered at resort locations. Hilton offers their Diamonds and Golds vouchers that really only cover enough for a coffee and pastry.

So, if you're not staying at a full-service SPG property as a Platinum or a full-service Hyatt property as a Globalist, you're better offering staying at whatever hotel best suits your needs regardless of the loyalty program.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Honestly, I think pretty much every major hotel brand in Hawaii doesn't care about elite recognition mainly because of the # of elites that visit the islands.
I don't think a disproportionate number of top-level hotel elites (or, for that matter, frequent flyer elites) visit the islands, if only because I would assume someone who has Marriott platinum premier or SPG platinum to also be a Delta diamond or whatever with an airline.

Airline upgrades are common for the lowest tier elite frequent flyers. I've been on flights out of Hawaii with empty first-class seats because there was nobody left for Delta to upgrade.

I would imagine there are a significant number of Marriott silver and gold elites, but I don't think the number of platinums is any higher than other popular destinations, be they resorts, convention center hotels, or downtown big-city hotels.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
The best chains might be SPG and Hyatt mainly because of their breakfast policies for Platinums (SPG) and Globalists (Hyatt). Marriott is definitely the worst since breakfast doesn't have to be offered at resort locations.
This is obviously something for another thread discussion, but I think this will be the most-awaited aspect of the combined Ritz-Marriott-SPG program come early 2019, when it will be launched. Marriott is on record saying it highly values SPG's top-level elites, who are obviously accustomed to receiving breakfast benefits at all hotels across the entire brand portfolio. Taking this away and putting an asterisk next to the benefit by exempting resorts and Ritz-Carlton properties won't go over well. Especially if Marriott keeps the higher Marriott threshold for platinum re-qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.