Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I think that the inability to order more than one item at an “Executive breakfast” for Platinum members to be fickle and petty. And I’m surprised the SGS takes this stance. In fact, I find it so stingy, I think it’s humorous.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Exactly. You sum it up well.
I think you guys are being unnecessarily and unfairly harsh. Rossini is a restaurant, not a buffet. And, AFAIK, the only items which are quantity-restricted to one order per person are main courses and Prosecco. Fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, cheese, smoked salmon, wide variety of baked goods, coffee, cappuccino, tea, etc., are all unlimited. And with two other locations in the hotel where you can have unlimited quantities of everything, .... I'm hard pressed to think of another hotel with three separate and very different locations for breakfast included as a PLT benefit, with all but two specific items included in unlimited quantity.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 13, 2018 at 8:31 am Reason: Removed personal comments. FT Rule 12.2
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:11 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think you guys are being unnecessarily and unfairly harsh. Rossini is a restaurant, not a buffet. And, AFAIK, the only items which are quantity-restricted to one order per person are main courses and Prosecco. Fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh squeezed fruit and vegetable juices, cheese, smoked salmon, wide variety of baked goods, coffee, cappuccino, tea, etc., are all unlimited. And with two other locations in the hotel where you can have unlimited quantities of everything, .... I'm hard pressed to think of another hotel with three separate and very different locations for breakfast included as a PLT benefit, with all but two specific items included in unlimited quantity. Can you think of any others?

A la carte orders are not one (or 2) item(s), unless they’re the only thing on the menu.

i am responding to complaints on this threadwith my opinion, and as a Platinum member, whose 47 nights last year were mostly in Bangkok. I don’t think it’s gluttonous or inappropriate to fancy an order of french toast with a plate of bacon & eggs.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jan 13, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Simple answer - the SGS isn't a LC regardless of its label.
Then again there are several other SPG props that are labeled LC that are FAR from it, but maybe that will be rectified by Marriott and relabeled as 4Pts/CY

Huh? I don’t fit the SGS profile because I want to be able to order egg white scrambled eggs rather than a fried egg off the menu and was denied that? Dude, a a Luxury Collection hotel should be able to be flexible like that. Yes I voiced that to the server and no one else. Yes I guess my expectations on flexibility at a luxury property is different than yours than cookie cutter eggs. The extra costs of switching from a fried eggs to a n egg white something is minimal.

Yes ROS has a long pant rule in club so I don’t fit their profile, don’t like it and won’t be back. I had sneakers on. When I changed pants they let me in.

So dude it was the pants and not the footwear.

Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I cannot think of a Luxury Collection anywhere in the world that is less flexible not to allow for example an egg white something over a fried egg for a platinum member. Even at Hongta in Shanghai which I think should be de-flagged as a LC was more amenable to substitutions. And agree that someone asking for french toast and an egg is not being gluttonous. I personally am on a strict diet so don't each much but found Rossini's hard to eat at.

I've waited in line for 40 minutes once at Orchid so it is clear SGS had to open up other spots to eat because of lack of tables. And Orchid has very few multi-person tables. As mentioned above they wouldn't let me merge tables once for the 3 rooms I had taken for family until I talked to duty manager. The result was they made us all sit upstairs the rest of the vacation which was not as nice an atmosphere as Rossini's and did not have the breadth of Orchid.

I think I have made it clear there are positives with SGS... and there are negatives, and I don't understand why people are criticizing us for pointing out deficiencies and what is clearly an increasingly limited amount of choices at Rossini's from before. There are definitely great parts about SGS but there are also some weak parts. Breakfast at Rossini's is one. Inability to get seats at the pool area is another. I frankly don't like the room bathrooms at all, especially the shower areas that seem outdated, and I did not love the renovations. The very expensive silk draping on the walls are already fraying. The hard product is more like a Sheraton to me than a LC... but the service takes it above to LC level usually.

But SGS needs that service and flexibility in order to overcome its hard product shortcomings.

So I go to SGS because of generally great service, which is usually quite flexible everywhere except for Rossini's. Some don't like me comparing to Vana Belle which is another LC in the same country and it is so incredibly superior in every way. And I find PA more flexible as well. There must be brand standards, at least by country/ region. And LC hotels should be compared to each other. Obviously.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 13, 2018 at 8:32 am Reason: Removed personal comments. FT Rule 12.2
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:37 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,

I have edited and deleted several comments which address other users and their likes and dislikes. This after I just posted reminding people that there is no need to comment about the likes and dislikes of others. Getting personal is not acceptable in the community which is clearly explained in FlyerTalk Rule 12.2.

If you are confused as to whether or not your post is acceptable, just re-read it and consider how you might take out the word 'you' as a start.

Again, keep the discussion about the property and not one another.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I cannot think of a Luxury Collection anywhere in the world that is less flexible not to allow for example an egg white something over a fried egg for a platinum member.
In two out of the three restaurants and buffets at which one may have a PLT breakfast, there would be absolutely no problem. So this isn't about the hotel not permitting it; it's about the hotel restricting it in one of the three breakfast locations.

And agree that someone asking for french toast and an egg is not being gluttonous.
I agree. We can have as much as we want at Orchid Café or the Sala.

I personally am on a strict diet so don't each much but found Rossini's hard to eat at.
So presumably someone with dietary restrictions would choose to eat at Orchid Café with its wider selection, where it will be easier to adhere to the restrictions.

The result was they made us all sit upstairs the rest of the vacation ....
As in, "Sir/Madam, we will not permit you to have breakfast at Orchid Café. We will permit you to eat upstairs in Rossini." ... or "Sir/Madam, you may be more comfortable upstairs in Rossini for breakfast, as we'll have difficulty accommodating your party here at Orchid Café." ??

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 13, 2018 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Anyone experienced the hotel policy for a PLT with 3 in a room? Do they charge for access?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Anyone experienced the hotel policy for a PLT with 3 in a room? Do they charge for access?
I once had my wife and first son in one room, they supplied a crib at no extra charge.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Re: the great Flip-Flop controversy, I checked in yesterday, and the welcome letter now states:

" In order to respect the feelings of all our guests, we do request our guests to abide by same simple "dress code" in our public area.
Rossini's - no flip flop slippers, tank tops and baseball caps.
Living Room after 8:00 PM and Rossini's for dinner - no shorts, flip flop slippers, tank tops and baseball caps."
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I’m confused why I am being told I am wrong to feel the way I do about Rossini’s for breakfast. Certainly seems other people view things the same why I do. I/ we have our opinions and are entitled to them and to voice them. I feel I have earned through spending and loyalty to eat egg whites in the morning and enjoy Rossini’s.

It should not br an either or choice at a LC property in my opinion.

If Richard reads this he can decide whether or not to allow more flexibility there. It is his choice to see if the added costs of egg white over a fried egg is too high so that he won’t Change ... at the risk of losing customers as the policy has done with me when I have switched twice to PA last year and will do so in the future again or lower the satisfaction rates of some customers as it has me when I do stay at sGS because I do generally appreciate the property.

This forum is meant for us to voice our opinions not be damned for speaking them out

Just like enough people said they want a stricter dress code at Rossini’s that the rules eventually were enforced. If people didn’t voice opinions then most likely the rules would be lax in terms of enforcement. I personally don’t like them but I won’t tell others they are wrong for feeling that way. I’ll just voice what I like rather than saying people who want to dress up should just go to mandarin oriental or peninsula that have stricter codes in my experience.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:42 pm

I’m confused why I am being told I am wrong to feel the way I do about Rossini’s for breakfast.
People are disagreeing with opinions which is fine. We are free to voice our opinion like everybody else, but as people keep saying, dissent is fine. Is that wrong? No idea why you were denied. "No" is never the right answer in that situation.

Personally I've never been denied eggs with a main that didn't include them at Rossini's. But, I have not tried to ask for an egg white omelette and a fried egg.

And when there are no beds available at the pool, the staff seats people as they become available. There's signs in the pool area that staff enforces that beds can't be reserved for more than 15 minutes. I've never had to wait very long for a bed even on one of the busiest days of the year there. I would expect to wait longer at peak times on peak days and wait my turn if I wanted a bed. And I wouldn't expect to get multiple beds together initially either, though even then staff does what they can to accommodate couples and families.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 13, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Okay I'm still confused - do flip flops just refer to the cheap plastic ones or do they include the same form that are commonly worn by women as shoes with designs or sparkles or other adornment on the "straps" ?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:19 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I went through our photos of our last visit in 2017 and my wife was wearing flip flops at Rossini's. Guess we are no longer welcome at Rossini's anymore because it might disrespect the feelings of other guests #sensitive .

Rules are the rules though, that's the hotel's discretion and we're cool with that. It's unlikely we will be returning to the SGS in the foreseeable future anyway; it wasn't our favourite SPG property to start with (we love the St Regis despite its sometimes erratic service), the SGS's decor and ambience made us "feel old" every time we stayed there, once in a while we couldn't get a pool chair, plus I no longer hold Platinum status anyway; which means SPG Bangkok hotels might not see us for a bit whilst we try out other hotels.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Re: the great Flip-Flop controversy, I checked in yesterday, and the welcome letter now states:

" In order to respect the feelings of all our guests, we do request our guests to abide by same simple "dress code" in our public area.
Rossini's - no flip flop slippers, tank tops and baseball caps.
Living Room after 8:00 PM and Rossini's for dinner - no shorts, flip flop slippers, tank tops and baseball caps."
Interersting. Several years ago I was castigated and barred from the living room for wearing sandals; thankfully I can now point to this and hold my ground. Sandals =/= flip flops.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Interersting. Several years ago I was castigated and barred from the living room for wearing sandals; thankfully I can now point to this and hold my ground. Sandals =/= flip flops.
IMO the real crime being committed is letting Crocs into Rossini's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.