Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This has become a game of "how do they upgrade Platinum elites?" to me.

I arrived here on Sunday for a 5 night stay (booked, might have to extend). No upgrade even though all suite types were available that day at lunch time before I boarded my flight.

On Monday I was checking the website and all suite types were still available to book for the rest of my stay according to spg.com. I get back to my room that evening and find a note under the door that my upgrade won't be available for several more nights.

On Wednesday I get back to my room and find a note saying my upgrade has become available.

So, I wasn't priority #1 on Sunday when I checked in. But clearly on Monday they hadn't upgraded everyone who was already here if the rooms were still available at lunch time. So they were upgrading as people arrived. So why were they not upgrading people already at the hotel? And the same goes for Tuesday.

As I said..this is just a game for me to figure out how they prioritize upgrades. I'm SPG Plat through Marriott reciprocal status and my SPG account doesn't have a ton of points (which shouldn't matter!) It also means I'm an SPG Plat and not a 75-night Plat which is bogus because I spend 100+ nights in Marriott every year.

I'm not upset about the lack of upgrade. It's a perk that I'm entitled to if it's available and it wasn't available until tonight. But how do they prioritize these upgrades?

I'm now in a luxury suite and the room is a lot larger and nicer than the previous room. The perks are the same.

-RM
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This has become a game of "how do they upgrade Platinum elites?" to me.

I arrived here on Sunday for a 5 night stay (booked, might have to extend). No upgrade even though all suite types were available that day at lunch time before I boarded my flight.

On Monday I was checking the website and all suite types were still available to book for the rest of my stay according to spg.com. I get back to my room that evening and find a note under the door that my upgrade won't be available for several more nights.

On Wednesday I get back to my room and find a note saying my upgrade has become available.

So, I wasn't priority #1 on Sunday when I checked in. But clearly on Monday they hadn't upgraded everyone who was already here if the rooms were still available at lunch time. So they were upgrading as people arrived. So why were they not upgrading people already at the hotel? And the same goes for Tuesday.

As I said..this is just a game for me to figure out how they prioritize upgrades. I'm SPG Plat through Marriott reciprocal status and my SPG account doesn't have a ton of points (which shouldn't matter!) It also means I'm an SPG Plat and not a 75-night Plat which is bogus because I spend 100+ nights in Marriott every year.

I'm not upset about the lack of upgrade. It's a perk that I'm entitled to if it's available and it wasn't available until tonight. But how do they prioritize these upgrades?

I'm now in a luxury suite and the room is a lot larger and nicer than the previous room. The perks are the same.

-RM
SPG would see you as PlatMinus, the same as those who qualify for Plat with 25 Starwood stays but not 50 nights.

I would expect the hotel to give upgrade priority not only to higher tiers of Plat but more importantly and especially in this property to its many guests who stay at this particular hotel very frequently. There are many such repeat guests with very impressive stats on the number of stays and number of nights specifically at the SGS.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG would see you as PlatMinus, the same as those who qualify for Plat with 25 Starwood stays but not 50 nights
Just curious, is there any evidence at all that this so-called 25-stay 'plat minus' status actually exists to the extent that it is visible to hotels when determining upgrade priorities ?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm SPG Plat through Marriott reciprocal status and my SPG account doesn't have a ton of points (which shouldn't matter!) It also means I'm an SPG Plat and not a 75-night Plat which is bogus because I spend 100+ nights in Marriott every year.
There are a lot of these imbalances in the program right now until they combine them in the go-forward plan.

Heck, I didn't like getting free breakfast based on Plat status on my last Ritz-Carlton stay, even though I do 100+ nights in Starwood every year
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm a regular at this property; and I know that they don't play games with upgrades. One huge problem that SGS has is that on many nights they have more SPG PLT guests than there are suites in the hotel. And some people actually book and pay for suites, too. To respond to some of the specific points you raised....

Remember, as you will see in comments throughout the SPG forum, the inventory available on SPG.com often does not match the actual inventory in the hotel. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that the website is not live data; it's updated periodically.

I get back to my room that evening and find a note under the door that my upgrade won't be available for several more nights.
Which, of course, tells you that they haven't forgotten about you and are still trying to upgrade you. IME they are much more conscientious about this than most other properties.

As I said..this is just a game for me to figure out how they prioritize upgrades.
I assume that it works the same way as in other businesses. They take care of their best customers first. So if you work for a business which buys hundreds of nights each year at a hotel, or if you're a very regular customer, you're bound to be a higher priority. Isn't identifying your best customers and taking special care of them the philosophy at the heart of all affinity programs, regardless of whether airline, hotel, or other?

Exactly. The perks are attendant to your status and are provided regardless of what type of room you're in.

If you really want to treat yourself, try one of the specialty suites on the tenth floor. My favorite is the Rama Suite. Teak floors throughout (except for the marble in the bathroom), indoor jacuzzi, outdoor patio area with sunbeds, an easy chair and a teak dining set of table and four chairs, and a professionally tended garden/walkway from the room to your private outdoor jacuzzi, which is in a Thai style open structure in the garden. I think that the theme suites are generally available for around USD $800-900/night, and worth every penny. Each one is different, too. Obviously, they are not in the upgrade pool!

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Sep 27, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Also remember, upgrades are only supposed to be if available at check in, they have no obligation to move you part way through a stay, the fact the were obvioulsy working hard to get you an upgrade, and keeping you informed shows just how dedicated they are to give great service
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I completely agree with most who replied to my question of how they prioritize upgrades at this property.

Yes, I know I'm not the top tier elite. Technically, I'm not top tier elite in Marriott either because I'm not a PP (Preferred Platinum or whatever the moniker is). But I do believe the integration could have done a better job of matching status to SPG's "75 night Plat".

And I do appreciate they kept me in mind and were conscientious about upgrading me later in my stay. Definitely a nice touch and definitely a well-run property.

Breakfast at Rossini's on the first floor has been fantastic each morning that I haven't tried anywhere else.

-RM
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I stayed six nights last month. Four mornings I had breakfast at Rossini's and two at Orchid Cafe. I do prefer Rossini's, but I also do appreciate the wider choice at Orchid Cafe. I tend to have breakfast around 9:30 or 10:00, so it's still quite pleasant at Orchid Cafe especially if seated at one of the lower level tables next to the window. Despite having stayed 70+ nights, I haven't tried the Sala for breakfast. I will rectify that in January when I'm there for a week.

Dr HFH, it's a long shot I know, but is your name Howard? If so, I was dining close to you when I heard someone address you.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Dr HFH, it's a long shot I know, but is your name Howard? If so, I was dining close to you when I heard someone address you.
Sorry, no. Although both of the "H"s in my FT moniker stand for Howard, neither refers to me.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Hi

I have SGS booked for early Dec for 5 nights with 2 other friends, we're sharing a room (only way buddy's wife would allow us to travel) I did pay for 3 ppl in the room. Im spg gold but I used my SPG Biz card which should get me to lounge floors and upgrades. I know this is a super popular spot for Plat members so my chances of upgrade are slim, then the fact that I wont arrive till midnight wont help the situation either. I understand I might not get access bc of lack of upgrades but its part of the benefits within the spg biz card. So I emailed SGS and they said they can not guarantee upgrade or lounge access. I have called spg and they said they can not hold SGS accountable and they technically havent done anything yet. Ive booked grande room non cancel able and now im regretting booking SGS bc of unknown expectations. I should of booked bangkok royal orchid sheraton but SGS location is better centralized. Can someone please guess what I should be expecting? I think it'll basically be a standard room with no lounge access overpaid. Thanks for any advice or comments
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
But there is no lounge... You can upgrade to Deluxe which gives you lounge-like benefits.

Last edited by remymartin; Sep 30, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As said above

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Sep 30, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reason: ..
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Hi

I have SGS booked for early Dec for 5 nights with 2 other friends, we're sharing a room (only way buddy's wife would allow us to travel) I did pay for 3 ppl in the room. Im spg gold but I used my SPG Biz card which should get me to lounge floors and upgrades. I know this is a super popular spot for Plat members so my chances of upgrade are slim, then the fact that I wont arrive till midnight wont help the situation either. I understand I might not get access bc of lack of upgrades but its part of the benefits within the spg biz card. So I emailed SGS and they said they can not guarantee upgrade or lounge access. I have called spg and they said they can not hold SGS accountable and they technically havent done anything yet. Ive booked grande room non cancel able and now im regretting booking SGS bc of unknown expectations. I should of booked bangkok royal orchid sheraton but SGS location is better centralized. Can someone please guess what I should be expecting? I think it'll basically be a standard room with no lounge access overpaid. Thanks for any advice or comments
SGS is a luxury collection brand hotel and not a Sheraton brand hotel. It's called the Sheraton but it's no longer part of the Sheraton group that entitles you to a Sheraton Lounge (not to say it does not even have a lounge). You are not entitled to lounge access with the SPG credit card for a luxury collection brand.

Room upgrades are only available subject to check in, and Gold only entitles to a level of upgrade.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
SGS is a luxury collection brand hotel and not a Sheraton brand hotel. It's called the Sheraton but it's no longer part of the Sheraton group that entitles you to a Sheraton Lounge (not to say it does not even have a lounge). You are not entitled to lounge access with the SPG credit card for a luxury collection brand.

Room upgrades are only available subject to check in, and Gold only entitles to a level of upgrade.
Hey Coolfish,

So I totally get it, but why dont they just change the name then? I could of just booked with my Amex plat and FHR benefits with that. I understand I might have screwed up using the wrong card but its not clear. When I did talk to spg agent they did say bc its sheraton and I booked with my SPG biz they should upgrade me but no guarantee bc its dependent on the individual property itself. Thanks all for your responses. Lesson learned
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Hey Coolfish,

So I totally get it, but why dont they just change the name then? I could of just booked with my Amex plat and FHR benefits with that. I understand I might have screwed up using the wrong card but its not clear. When I did talk to spg agent they did say bc its sheraton and I booked with my SPG biz they should upgrade me but no guarantee bc its dependent on the individual property itself. Thanks all for your responses. Lesson learned
I would imagine it is because of keeping the reputation of the name instead of renaming themselves anything else. Preserving the history of the location would make sense to me since I tend to think things were bad and had to be changed if I see a rebranding/renaming/"under new management." To be fair, I always see the hotel advertised or listed as "Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel" - so that is tacked on to the name quite often, and everywhere I can remember on any Starwood sites. It is not the only Luxury Collection hotel that still has a Sheraton name either, I think there is at least another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.