Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've observed Marriott inspectors visit hotels in the USA. It's a big joke in that they know in advance. If you ever see a GM touching up the cleaning near elevators, paint touch ups in the hallways, steam cleaning of carpets, and front desk staff suddenly dressed up, you'll know it's inspection time. I even watched the same hotel, two years in a row at the same time of year, upgrade their breakfast buffet and bring out the real coffee cups (versus paper/styrofoam) only until the inspectors left the building, then remove the real coffee mugs before breakfast even ended that morning. The hypocracy was almost amusing, but it was mostly sad.
If that was me I'd have stood right next to one of the inspectors while they were in the breakfast area and said: "You know, it's great that for once they actually have real coffee cups rather than those crappy styrofoam ones we usually get."
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:46 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Dear Reviewers,

To set the record straight, there have been no brand audits / inspection at the hotel this year. The customer experience has not been effected in any way, since we became a Marriott International managed hotel. Moreover, the management contract was renewed last year with Starwood and now of course we are part of the Marriott family. Therefore we shall remain a member of the Luxury Collection brand, one of thirty owned by Marriott International.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
Not sure when they implemented the change, but you're now only limited to one breakfast food item off the menu at Rossini's, meaning that you can't order a grilled salmon with an eggs dish and finish off with a waffle.

I'll take this as a subtle nudge for us not to overeat in the morning
Dear Central90120,

We introduced the “Executive Breakfast” at Rossini’s a year ago for our loyal Platinum SPG members and other guests paying for the Luxury Room category or for a suite. It is designed as an exclusive and quieter experience, where guests can hold informal business meetings, check the email or read the paper, whilst the service associates bring the ordered individually prepared cooked item to the table. For starters however the guest can choose from the traditional bakery items, juices, fruits, cold cuts, salads, cereals and yogurts, together with some Asian favorites such as congee, dim sum and others. Guests can enjoy as many of the starters as they wish whilst the cooked item is being prepared on a la carte basis. Should the guest wish a second cooked item, then a supplementary charge of THB 300 is applied as is customary with an a la carte concept. Or alternatively all guests are welcome to join the international buffet breakfast at the Orchid Café, where they can indulge in as much as they wish. The choice is theirs. In fact I know of a number of Platinum members who prefer taking breakfast at the Orchid Café where the choice is greater and the number of courses is unlimited. We try to cater for everyone’s taste and preferences, including the outdoor Sala during the dry season, but every weekend over the year.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear Central90120,

We introduced the “Executive Breakfast” at Rossini’s a year ago for our loyal Platinum SPG members and other guests paying for the Luxury Room category or for a suite. It is designed as an exclusive and quieter experience, where guests can hold informal business meetings, check the email or read the paper, whilst the service associates bring the ordered individually prepared cooked item to the table. For starters however the guest can choose from the traditional bakery items, juices, fruits, cold cuts, salads, cereals and yogurts, together with some Asian favorites such as congee, dim sum and others. Guests can enjoy as many of the starters as they wish whilst the cooked item is being prepared on a la carte basis. Should the guest wish a second cooked item, then a supplementary charge of THB 300 is applied as is customary with an a la carte concept. Or alternatively all guests are welcome to join the international buffet breakfast at the Orchid Café, where they can indulge in as much as they wish. The choice is theirs. In fact I know of a number of Platinum members who prefer taking breakfast at the Orchid Café where the choice is greater and the number of courses is unlimited. We try to cater for everyone’s taste and preferences, including the outdoor Sala during the dry season, but every weekend over the year.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Fair enough and I have enjoyed both Orchid Cafe previously and Rossini's. Although some want to gorge at breakfast I try not to do so too much. I usually have a late morning leisurely meal and although it would be nice to have the option of two dishes, if I want it I go to Orchid. This property has above average meal options for everyone's taste. I would like to see some upgrading of the property hard product however, from the elevators to some rooms more specifically the bathrooms, which I'm sure is in their master plan.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Thanks for the very professional update Richard.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schley
I would like to see some upgrading of the property hard product however, from the elevators....
Just out of curiosity, what did you have in mind? I've always been impressed that despite the foot traffic, the elevator floors are always polished to a mirror-like finish.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Just out of curiosity, what did you have in mind? I've always been impressed that despite the foot traffic, the elevator floors are always polished to a mirror-like finish.
It is the look of the interior including the button panel is what stands out to me. The cleanliness is not a problem, but simply appears dated to me.

The bathrooms are dated to me as well.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:17 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Dear Central90120,

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Very good Mr. Chapman and thank you. I personally think this is a very reasonable approach. I have always enjoyed the privilege of taking the special breakfast at Rossini's. Not being a glutton, I think the buffet offerings are very good and I do not feel offended for not being able to gorge myself on a la carte items. Once in a while I do take breakfast in the Orchid Café simply for the wider selections and even enjoy the little bit of chaos and people watching opportunities.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If that was me I'd have stood right next to one of the inspectors while they were in the breakfast area and said: "You know, it's great that for once they actually have real coffee cups rather than those crappy styrofoam ones we usually get."
OT, but as a PP I called Marriott that day and tried to report what I had observed about the inspection. No one cared.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:24 am

Dear Central90120,

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Thanks for clarifying the new change, Richard! Still very impressed with a GM of a sizeable hotel responding to random members on a niche forum.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:19 pm

Dear Reviewers,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but there is no plan to upgrade the elevators. Unfortunately we can’t make them any faster. As for the bathrooms, we made the decision to retain the handmade turquoise tiles rather than go for the ubiquitous marble walls, as they are indigenous to Thailand. There is however a long term plan to add rain showers.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:47 pm

Dear Reviewers,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but there is no plan to upgrade the elevators. Unfortunately we can’t make them any faster. As for the bathrooms, we made the decision to retain the handmade turquoise tiles rather than go for the ubiquitous marble walls, as they are indigenous to Thailand. There is however a long term plan to add rain showers.

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Dear Richard, I remember you mentioned a while ago that you will consider installing key card access systems for your elevators for security purposes, especially late at night. Is that still on the cards or canned altogether? Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Dear Reviewers,

With kind regards,
Richard Chapman
General Manager
Richard, I see nothing wrong with the elevators, including their speed.
What I like about them is that one can correct a wrong button by pressing
it again to cancel the selection - more buildings should have this option.

And I also like the bathroom tiles - they are now an expected part of this
property.

But DO NOT install rain showers - or if you do make sure you maintain
the current ones as well.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Central90210
Dear Richard, I remember you mentioned a while ago that you will consider installing key card access systems for your elevators for security purposes, especially late at night. Is that still on the cards or canned altogether? Thanks!
I would not consider this a priority, especially in view of the fact that there
are almost always security personnel at both the Lobby and Lower Lobby
level elevators, observing all.

I prefer not fumbling for key cards in the elevator, especially when the card
reader works less than 50% of the time,
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Personally, I find that these systems often don't work to spec. At LM, for example, they have one of these systems, and I rarely get it to work on the first try. I've observed the same with other guests there as well. Given the omnipresent security in both upper and lower lobbies at SGS, I'm fine with access the way it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.