Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Asok intersection as of this morning 1/13/14

Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:20 pm

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:40 pm

LOL.......Sorry, but these are pointless concerns - in my world anyway and of course it's just my opinion. The world and everyone else has much larger problems. Seriously - we are worried about sitting outside at a pool while someone seriously might enjoy having a cigarette. That's not o.k. but we have no problem visiting a hugely polluted city while sitting or walking in the stuff?
I don't get it some times I'm not a smoker..........well actually I should not say that cause I do like lighting them up when I have a few too many pops.

Smoke em' if you got em"! Life is too short to worry about this kind of stuff. Can't we just all get along
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Asok intersection as of this morning 1/13/14

I certainly hope the police are enforcing the smoking laws out there today. After all, Asoke is under the domain of the Thonglor police. If the demonstrators want to smoke they'll just have to demonstrate across the street in the Lumpini Police District. I know they're bringing Bangkok to a standstill, but one just can't have a complete breakdown of societal order. Then, once they are across the street some of the vile smoke from their cheap Malaysian cigarettes will be wafting up to the Sala. The outrage ! Time for the boiling oil I say !

Last edited by whackyjacky; Jan 13, 2014 at 1:38 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 8:11 pm

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:48 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This will be my last comment re smoking at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit pool... I would request a smoking and non-smoking section of the SGS pool. Those that wish to smoke may do so in their area and those that prefer not to inhale 2nd hand smoke may choose to sit in their area. This may minimize the odor and health risks while also allowing the hotel to ensure it caters to both parts of it's clientele, smokers and non-smokers alike.
I agree. This is my only real issue with this property. I find it very annoying that a smoker can lie down next to me and ruin my pool time, but that smoking is allowed at the tables where meals are served is totally out of order.

Every place has different rules and regulations. In my city, some municipalities ban smoking, in in outdoor bars. Roppongi, in Tokyo even warns citizens that their smoking harms others. Thailand has its own rules, but smoking in a food service area is unacceptable. It's sad, because the Sala is my favourite relaxing breakfast area.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:54 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by mario33
Not sure whether pool side is considered F&B premises, but I thought the law says that outdoor smoking is also prohibited except at designated locations. Being outdoor may not mean its legal, though the hotel may designate the entire poolside as smoking area.
The Sala serves meals from morning until evening, at the tables, under the Sala and at all pool lounges. There can be no discussion whether it's a food service area.

I empathise with those who are discriminated against for doing something that is legal, but since so many find it abhorrent, a good business decision may be to allow smoking only at one end of the pool area - away from the Sala.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:09 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This will be my last comment re smoking at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit pool... I would request a smoking and non-smoking section of the SGS pool. Those that wish to smoke may do so in their area and those that prefer not to inhale 2nd hand smoke may choose to sit in their area. This may minimize the odor and health risks while also allowing the hotel to ensure it caters to both parts of it's clientele, smokers and non-smokers alike.

Dear TravelinSperry and other reviewers,

I have read all your comments with regards to smoking at the Sala and Pool area and appreciate all your thoughts.

As you may know we do have a designated smoking area with seating adjacent to the main lobby entrance, where we encourage smokers to smoke. However, there are some guests who still prefer to smoke at level 3.

So, we will endeavor to introduce a non-smoking area. The non-smoking areas will include the dining section, the covered Sala and the upper deck of the sun beds. Smokers will be limited to the sun beds on the lower area.

This plan will be introduced on a trial basis and hopefully we will obtain the full co-operation of the smokers to respect this.

With regard to the street protests, I attached the updated letter sent to our in-house guests this morning in the following link (http://assets.sheratongrandesukhumvi...ated130114.pdf).

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Dear Mr. Chapman,

Thank you for your ongoing activity on FT. While I'm sad to hear smoking will be less and less allowed at your property, I'm happy to hear you will accommodate both parties.

May I ask when this trial will be introduced? It's my plan to stay at SGS next week.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:48 am

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Thanks Richard for the update on your hotel during the demonstration. I fear that the demonstrations will continue for a few weeks, but hope I am wrong.

It's great to hear about the non-smoking section available soon at/near the swimming pool. Keep up the great work!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
With regard to the street protests, I attached the updated letter sent to our in-house guests this morning in the following link (http://assets.sheratongrandesukhumvi...ated130114.pdf).
Thanks for the update. Is Sukhumvit open in both directions through the Asoke intersection?

Thanks,
David
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:53 pm

+1 on the non smoking.

Richard will there be much renovation activity in early April?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thanks for the update. Is Sukhumvit open in both directions through the Asoke intersection?

Thanks,
David
No the junction is basically shut, but it is possible to turn left from Asoke onto Sukhumvit
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lobster
No the junction is basically shut, but it is possible to turn left from Asoke onto Sukhumvit
So that side of Asoke is open? (ie, you could taxi in from Makasaan, for example?)

the typical expressway route from BKK to the hotel involves making a u-turn at that intersection on Sukhumvit. Are they coming in a different way now?

For departures/arrivals when it's open, clearly BTS/MRT + ARL is the way to go, but for off-hours you don't have a great deal of choice.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.