Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I'm booked in this property next month and selected the "1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Beach Front, Whirlpool, Plunge Pool" for my SNA selection (only room I selected). I see there is one report of being upgraded to an "Ocean Villa" but has anyone had any luck with SNAs clearing to the 3 or 4 beach front villas with a plunge pool?

Currently Marriott's site is showing "only 3 remaining" for this room category for my dates. I know the inventory on the site might not always match what they actually have available but just a data point.
Wow, I'm surprised those suites are even available for SNA upgrade. What level of room did you book in? I assume not the lowest level.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'm booked in this property next month and selected the "1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Beach Front, Whirlpool, Plunge Pool" for my SNA selection (only room I selected). I see there is one report of being upgraded to an "Ocean Villa" but has anyone had any luck with SNAs clearing to the 3 or 4 beach front villas with a plunge pool?

Currently Marriott's site is showing "only 3 remaining" for this room category for my dates. I know the inventory on the site might not always match what they actually have available but just a data point.
The villa is amazing, but I wouldn’t expect it to be available for most periods unless occupancy is quite low. Selecting that as your only SNA option might be a risk, as others may get upgrades to the other wonderful suites that otherwise would be more plentifully available. Also, a suite paying guest with status might be upgraded to the villas before the SNA window opens.

It’s a risk. Personally, I have loved the one bedroom suite even without beachfront almost as much as the beachfront villa! The villa was amazing. But we paid for it. The property has so many great suites that I would give myself the chance for any of those. To each, their own. If you get too set on the villa, you may end up in just a decent room.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

The villa is amazing, but I wouldn’t expect it to be available for most periods unless occupancy is quite low. Selecting that as your only SNA option might be a risk, as others may get upgrades to the other wonderful suites that otherwise would be more plentifully available. Also, a suite paying guest with status might be upgraded to the villas before the SNA window opens.

It’s a risk. Personally, I have loved the one bedroom suite even without beachfront almost as much as the beachfront villa! The villa was amazing. But we paid for it. The property has so many great suites that I would give myself the chance for any of those. To each, their own. If you get too set on the villa, you may end up in just a decent room.
Totally agree it's a somewhat risky move. My plan is if the villa does not clear on the first day, I will modify my request to add in additional suite options. Either way, hopefully they would give me some type of upgrade with my lofty Ambassador status
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Totally agree it's a somewhat risky move. My plan is if the villa does not clear on the first day, I will modify my request to add in additional suite options. Either way, hopefully they would give me some type of upgrade with my lofty Ambassador status
It all depends on occupancy...and especially if there might be any special events or weddings at the resort. Again, We were most pleased with the garden view suite on the ground floor behind the adults only pool (the opposite side from the main breakfast restaurant).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite

We stayed 5 nights on points in March and our SNA's did clear to the beachfront villa (reported earlier in this thread).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:35 pm

Beachfront villas and surfing

The problem with hoping to get upgraded to beachfront villas is that there are only a few of them (four by my count) and they are in demand. We tried to book them a year in advance for spring break, for example, and they were already taken. Later toward the summer is easier to get. But people will still book them specifically.

The ocean-view suites are really awesome in their own right. The sunset view is better (and it's the best sunset you'll ever see). The big benefits of the beachfront suites are separate bedrooms and the little private pool. Of course, those benefits are huge.

As for surfing: The beach at St. Regis is rocky. This is well-established. But you can surf there. It's a neat-but-stupidly-expensive place to learn. It's where I learned.

You can also surf at MUCH cheaper rental rates and with far fewer rocks in the town of Punta (de) Mita.

You go to the town. You want to walk east toward this classically, real Mexican bar. Ask where Stinky's is. Or, just head to the ocean and look around. You will figure out where to go. If you take the street, you head over this little bridge where it really smells bad. You go through this restaurant's seating area and you will find yourself on a beach with a nice surf break and what has to be some of the best body-boarding on earth. Rent from the guy at the Stinky's tent.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:08 pm

The description of what you are booked into sounds like the beachfront suite that is the very best suite on the property. There may be some giant house-type thing somewhere, but I really don't think it's on the beach and only a few suites have pools. They are all right on the beach.

I don't know what you would be upgraded to from what you are describing.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Yes, we cleared with SNAs just prior to Xmas. Stunning room. I love this resort. Last stay was only an ocean view room by the adult pool. Even at nearly full occupancy we always had our own private area at the top of the adult pool. You don't even need a private pool at this place!
jdrtravel and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:44 am

Does anyone know if SNAs can be applied to stays at this property? Based on earlier discussions, it appears you could, but when making a new reservation now, I don't see the option.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by husky96821
Does anyone know if SNAs can be applied to stays at this property? Based on earlier discussions, it appears you could, but when making a new reservation now, I don't see the option.
Yes. SNAs can be applied here.

If you booked a non refundable rate, however, or if all eligible rooms/suites were already booked or otherwise unavailable, it will not allow you to apply SNAs at any property. Also, it’s always possible there’s an IT glitch.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by husky96821
I just used one for three nights in May and it cleared to a 1 bedroom villa on a points stay (60k). Really enjoyed the villa and resort.
bhrubin and husky96821 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

I just used one for three nights in May and it cleared to a 1 bedroom villa on a points stay (60k). Really enjoyed the villa and resort.
Does anyone know if there is still the wide range of SNA upgrade options? Just booked my third award stay here for Dec 31 to Jan 5, but won't hit the 50 nights for a couple of weeks to be able to look at SNA.

Again though, I don't actually mind what room I have here
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:36 am

You still have a wide range of options to apply an SNA, including up to a one bedroom villa. However, staying over New Years, I'd say temper your expectations. I just completed a four night stay here this week (revenue, not an award stay). I booked two rooms and applied SNAs to one (selected one bedroom villa and deluxe suite as options). SNAs did not clear. I thought in July there'd be no problem, but staff said they were at 85-90% occupancy, coming off from 100% occupancy on 4th of July.

As a side note: I've now had multiple stays at the St Regis and private residences within the Punta Mita complex. I was split before, but I'm pretty solidly in the private residence camp now as my preference. I like the extra space, most residences have private chefs, it's fun to explore the other beach clubs, I don't like feeling compelled to use breakfast/resort credits and staying locked to the St Regis property (plus the breakfast didn't wow me), and many of the private residences have easier access to the better surf breaks. However, if traveling solo or as a couple I'd probably still book St Regis.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Does anyone know if there is still the wide range of SNA upgrade options? Just booked my third award stay here for Dec 31 to Jan 5, but won't hit the 50 nights for a couple of weeks to be able to look at SNA.
In Asia, it's not uncommon for hotels to have mandatory, expensive New Year's Eve dinners for guests who are there that night. Does this happen in the western hemisphere?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by mrfussion
You still have a wide range of options to apply an SNA, including up to a one bedroom villa. However, staying over New Years, I'd say temper your expectations. I just completed a four night stay here this week (revenue, not an award stay). I booked two rooms and applied SNAs to one (selected one bedroom villa and deluxe suite as options). SNAs did not clear. I thought in July there'd be no problem, but staff said they were at 85-90% occupancy, coming off from 100% occupancy on 4th of July.

As a side note: I've now had multiple stays at the St Regis and private residences within the Punta Mita complex. I was split before, but I'm pretty solidly in the private residence camp now as my preference. I like the extra space, most residences have private chefs, it's fun to explore the other beach clubs, I don't like feeling compelled to use breakfast/resort credits and staying locked to the St Regis property (plus the breakfast didn't wow me), and many of the private residences have easier access to the better surf breaks. However, if traveling solo or as a couple I'd probably still book St Regis.
How do you find information on how to rent one of the private residences in Punta Mita. I stayed at the Four Seasons in Punta Mita and it went above and beyond what would be expected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.